Development Log - Keeping players in the know

If only we could hear you scream in space.
Aubinator
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Development Log - Keeping players in the know

Post by Aubinator » Thu May 07, 2015 6:53 am

We all know what it is, we've seen it on thousands of games before. What this game or forum needs is a development log. In lamens terms, a list of all changes with each update to see where this game has gone, and where it is going. I know about the Facebook page and Twitter, but that honestly takes too long to scroll through to see any changes - if any were listed at all. I'm talking about an in-your-face, one stop shop, development log!
iOS EXAMPLE wrote:Released:
v1.00 Released to iOS

v1.01 Added pause feature when characters selected
v1.01 Added new planet & mission "PLUTO - the search for your dog"
v1.01 Optimized splines so they would reticulate better

v1.02 Compatibility for iOS 8

Future Plans:
v1.10 Pets (development started - ETA: Q2 2015)
Armour
Inventory
Contraband (delayed until further notice - system in place is buggy and doesn't work)
Skills above level 30
SC: Galaxies Expansion (abandon Original SC?)
Long story short, I've owned this game from square one (for iOS), and I was disappointed with the lack of feedback/development over time and dropped it. I understand that you guys are a small company, but after a year: I downloaded it again and I've found that little to nothing had been added - at least as far as I could tell. This so called "Coming Soon" tag on the contraband and the dog & armour/pirate screen has been there for ages! Then I see a section labelled SC: Galaxies in the forums.
  1. Are you guys moving on?
  2. Is there a plan to finish the original?
  3. For purchasers of the original, can this be an update?
  4. For original purchasers, can there be an in-app purchase to update the current game to Galaxies (at discounted price)?
  5. Plans on allowing people to purchase additional platform version at discounted price?
I am looking all over the forums for an updated development log of any kind, and all I can find is this Xavier "I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon" with a very vague and dated FAQ. It just feels like this project was abandoned, and WarBalloon washed away their accountability for SC:Original.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy this game and it has a ton of potential! I just want to know that these "coming soon" features are actually coming, and not being tossed to the wayside to make room for SC: Galaxies.

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Re: Development Log - Keeping players in the know

Post by stevetranby » Thu May 07, 2015 8:08 am

Should we do better, always. We find ourselves having the choice to post something on forum or update a changelog versus working more on the game, and choosing working on the game more than we should. We're constantly aware and trying to improve.

We did shift focus toward galaxies, but we've recently begun to move forward with mobile again.
http://starcommandgame.com/beta
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder

Aubinator
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Aubinator » Thu May 07, 2015 9:48 am

I appreciate the quick response.

Although I am sure a dev log wouldn't be much effort to put together, even if you started it now. When you pump out an update, and announce it on your FB page, just come over to the forums and edit a sticky labelled iOS DEV LOG, and add the changes.

It wouldn't need to be updated daily/weekly, but at the very least when an update was pushed forward. That would keep many people happy, being able to visualize the development of the game as it was developed.

Cheers

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Post by stevetranby » Fri May 22, 2015 4:30 am

I got one of our Galaxy devs (AngerFork) on here who will hopefully has started filling in a bit more info than I can.
I'm going to start creating a post per SC:Mobile build to help collect info into one place.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1292
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder