Community Suggestion Mega Thread

If only we could hear you scream in space.
LordGideon
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Community Suggestion Mega Thread

Post by LordGideon » Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 am

Suggestions from the StarCommand Community!
[Updated 05.24.2013 - 11:58AM EST]

This thread is maintained by LordGideon
- I do not work for WarBalloon
- I will keep this up to date as quickly as I can. Some times a day or two may pass between updates.
- I'm trying to keep all requests to bullet points. Some might require explanations/examples, so where prudent those are included.
- I've included all requests that make sense. If I've skipped yours, it's because it's already part of the list or hard to understand.
- I will not add inapropriate requests (please no robot sex slave requests)
- If you see that I've overlooked a request, I probably missed it. Please feel free to message me and I'll check it again.
- Feel free to start your own thread (and link it back here)! Some ideas require more discussion, and it's better to discuss it in a new thread where it can be sorted out.
- Items that are green have been patched/added to the game by the developers!

Gameplay Enhancements:
- Engineers given the ability to put on space suits to seal hull breaches during combat. This would also give them magnetic boots.
- Upgrade path for red shirts to gain better weaponry/armor.
- If the ships moved around each other instead of remaining stagnant during a fight, it would look better.
- Force fields to block baddies
- Ability to hyperjump away from a fight (Mini Game?)
- Easier starting mode
- Medic when staffed in the medical bay could gain an ability to site-to-site transport a wounded teammate into the medical bay.
- Security Team, new group. Sole duty is to defend the ship from invaders.
- High level offensive skills for the science and engineering crew. Perhaps something at 40 or 50. Ideas could be for the medics an area of effect poison gas that saps enemy health for a few seconds or perhaps an AoE flashbang ability that lowers enemies' accuracy. Engineers could get some sort of elemental based skill such as a plasma torch (starts enemies on fire), refrigerant beam (freezes enemies or makes them move slower), or some sort of electricity thing.
- A token black market. Perhaps every time you visit a hub world where you can recruit people there is a 10% chance of a message from black market traders offering to trade one token of type A if you give them one token of type B. Maybe A and B would be randomized. Or you could also get one of type A if you give them two of type B but you would get to choose what A and B are.
- Longer campaign with more user choice
- Ability to upgrade to a new, larger ship hull during campaign (with even bigger ships available on Newgame+)
- New room modules and upgrades (both for regular gameplay and newgame+)
- Higher level cap with new crew abilities
- Combat with allies and against multiple ships
- Additional mini-games
- Away missions and non-combat missions
- Ability to see ship layout before selection
- Crewmates stop and return fire if shot at while walking to a destination. (Should be an option when moving.)
- Assigning additional crew to a room increases token creation/recharge
- Crew should move out of tiles that are on fire, or away from breaches.
- Bridge crew stations - Assign crew to stations (Science, Tech, Command) and give bonuses to every section that has an officer of that type on the bridge. (Security manned station on the bridge is a +10% to weapons damage, etc.)
- Outside of combat, speed up token generation by 200-300%.
- Selectable skill trees for crew (Upgrade path.)
- Captain can influence crew they are around and boost specific attributes based on his assignment. (Tech, Command, Science)
- GINGER HAIR OPTION FOR MEN
- Custom crew designer instead of being random
- Random backstories for crew members. (Could be written by the community.)
- Fire Suppression system. Halon/Sprinkler/Air Vacuum variants. Also, different races would be damaged or unaffected by certain modes.
- Pathing to avoid hull breaches
- Deeper RPG elements
- Hull breaches will never destroy your ship and can be spammed to eliminate intruders
- Ship will never explode no matter how much damage it takes
- "Room Spam" allows all crewmembers to hole up in a room and fight intruders without consequence while the rest of the ship burns
- Shield boosting past red line stops teleportation by enemy
- Races should have specializations in certain areas over others. Example, Trilaxians make better red shirts. They get a +1 or +2 critical damage. Humans make better engineers. +1 or +2 for repairs.
- Ability to sacrifice tokens to rebuild damaged rooms
- Ability to save crew who are being sucked out of a hull breach Other crew may be able to rescue them. (Minigame?)
- Multi-level ships
- Ability to avoid a fight in the dialog tree
- Ability to "pre-charge" weapons for a fight.

GUI/Control Enhancements
- Skip button to skip cutscenes (On skip to decision tree)
- Timeout on crew to return to stations. (Option)
- Multi-unit selection tool
- Ability to group unites to form selectable teams
- Ability to toggle crew health on sides of the screen.
- Ability to reorganize tokens
- View token cost of the upgrade for a room on the upgrade page so you don't have to open each individual upgrade first.
- Library computer that houses info on "how to" guides, met races, backstories, etc.
- Ship schematic button. See where all crew are stationed
- Token pointer to show where a token has been generated
- Different animation screen for moving to different galaxy vs interior galaxy movement
- Ammo button greyed out if ammo is full
- Better indication of when shields are low enough for enemies to transport over
- Better Hull/Shield indicators. (Percentage?)

New Rooms:
- CargoBay. Hold more ammo. Upgrades would allow it to hold more.
- Transporter Room. Beam baddies off the ship. Staffing it would allow you to beam crew sucked into space back onto the ship. Upgrades would allow more simultaneous transports.
- Deflector Control. Slows down targeting mini games with every upgrade. Also highlights weaknesses in enemy ships.
- Automatic Fire Extinguisher. A room that would either automatically put out a fire a certain time after it has started or would have a robot similar to the Sentry Drone seen in promotional pics that would go around and extinguish fires.
- Mech Room. A security guy can enter a mech that significantly boosts attack and health for when attacking boarders. The downside with the mech is that since it is nuclear powered it causes a hull breach when destroyed. And perhaps the Mech Room could be multipurpose so each class has a specific mech. Engineers could have an engineering mech that speeds up repair time and prevents being blown out into space. Dunno about medics.
- Holo Deck. Train crew when not in battle. Also can generate holographic troops that show up during a fight on the ship as decoys. (Can't actually do damage.)
- Research Lab - Train buffs that can be used to improve accuracy, shields, and weapons.

Defensive Placements: 4x1 or 3x1 tiles. Fit along the wall of a ship. Upgradable?
- Airlocks. Can open and close by tapping on it. Any enemies/crew will be sucked out just like a hull breach. The upgraded version could have a 1-way shield that prevents crew from being sucked out.
- Weapon Racks. Any security staff within a certain radius will have increased damage. The upgraded version could also slightly improve fire rate.
- Hull Plating. A purely defensive piece, it would prevent hull breaches along that particular area. Upgraded version is a bit tougher to think of. Maybe have automatic fire extinguishers that put out fire within a radius of the wall (would make the Automatic Fire Extinguisher Room I proposed above unnecessary) or maybe instead of that a short range auto-gun that has same damage/fire rate as a low level security officer but a lower range.
- Emergency Medical Station. Improves the healing rate of any scientists within a short range. Upgrade could offer a slight defensive boost to all crewmen in that radius.

Multiplayer (This section is pure speculation. Feature requests if a mode is implemented.)
- Multiplayer low-risk ship-to-ship combat with boarding parties
- Alignment to different races. Each race gives different ships and strengths/weaknesses
Last edited by LordGideon on Fri May 24, 2013 9:58 am, edited 19 times in total.
"From hell's heart, I stab at thee!" - Khan, Star Trek II

justincoombs21
Developer
Developer

Re: Content Requests

Post by justincoombs21 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:18 am

badass ideas.

LordGideon
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by LordGideon » Thu May 02, 2013 11:53 am

:) Sweet! Addicted to the game as it is - and looking forward to awesome upgrades! Keep up the good work!

EwokStarCruiser
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by EwokStarCruiser » Thu May 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Hey devs/mods: perhaps we should sticky this thread (or create a separate sticky thread) that would have a running list of suggestions?

Anyways, excellent ideas LordGideon! I was also thinking that perhaps down the line engineers could get space suits with magboots. Also I think that hyperjumping away should be on a timer (similar to the actual missions). I accidentally went back to the Grol world (after battling them in hand-to-hand combat for tokens) and was unable to escape so they overpowered me. It would have been nice to just hyperjump away after struggling to survive for like 2 min.

Some other ideas:

Gameplay Enhancements:
- High level offensive skills for the science and engineering crew. Perhaps something at 40 or 50. Ideas could be for the medics an area of effect poison gas that saps enemy health for a few seconds or perhaps an AoE flashbang ability that lowers enemies' accuracy. Engineers could get some sort of elemental based skill such as a plasma torch (starts enemies on fire), refrigerant beam (freezes enemies or makes them move slower), or some sort of electricity thing.
- Reorganizing tokens
- Viewing token cost on the upgrade page so you don't have to open each individual token to see if you can afford it.
- Crew of other species. I was wondering why the Vocar would consider peace-loving Midorians to be terrorists than it dawned on me that perhaps the Midorians have recruited some of the Vocar to their peace-loving ways. Perhaps give a Vocar crew through a mission like how you got the Midorian Princess. Also perhaps on another mission you could be protecting an Antorian defector.
- A token black market. Perhaps every time you visit a hub world where you can recruit people there is a 10% chance of a message from black market traders offering to trade one token of type A if you give them one token of type B. Maybe A and B would be randomized. Or you could also get one of type A if you give them two of type B but you would get to choose what A and B are.
- A wild token. Something that could be used in any slot.

New Rooms:
- Automatic Fire Extinguisher. A room that would either automatically put out a fire a certain time after it has started or would have a robot similar to the Sentry Drone seen in promotional pics that would go around and extinguish fires.
- Mech Room. A security guy can enter a mech that significantly boosts attack and health for when attacking boarders. The downside with the mech is that since it is nuclear powered it causes a hull breach when destroyed. And perhaps the Mech Room could be multipurpose so each class has a specific mech. Engineers could have an engineering mech that speeds up repair time and prevents being blown out into space. Dunno about medics.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu May 02, 2013 12:53 pm

If someone would like to edit one and keep it up to date, I wouldn't be against having a sticky

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Western17
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Western17 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey great game played it for over 2 hours haha. Good overall but always room for improvement: Should have a new type of crew so that all your other team members can keep to their posts, another thing is that the gun ammunition is too low might need to have more ammo and finally should have a new type of enemy species would be awesome :D overall all thou really impressed I know what I'm doing on the weekend ;)

EwokStarCruiser
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by EwokStarCruiser » Thu May 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Another idea:
Wall Rooms: (these would be maybe 4x1 or 3x1 tiles in size and fit along the wall of a ship, each would have 1 upgrade)
- Airlocks. Can open and close by tapping on it. Any enemies/crew will be sucked out just like a hull breach. The upgraded version could have a 1-way shield that prevents crew from being sucked out.
- Weapon Racks. Any security staff within a certain radius will have increased damage. The upgraded version could also slightly improve fire rate.
- Hull Plating. A purely defensive piece, it would prevent hull breaches along that particular area. Upgraded version is a bit tougher to think of. Maybe have automatic fire extinguishers that put out fire within a radius of the wall (would make the Automatic Fire Extinguisher Room I proposed above unnecessary) or maybe instead of that a short range auto-gun that has same damage/fire rate as a low level security officer but a lower range.
- Emergency Medical Station. Improves the healing rate of any scientists within a short range. Upgrade could offer a slight defensive boost to all crewmen in that radius.
- EVA Suits. Would allow 3-4 crew (depending on if it is a 3x1 or 4x1 room) to wear the EVA suits with magboots mentioned in the OP allowing them to not get sucked out a hull breach. Upgraded version would have armored EVA suits instead that reduce damage slightly. EVA suits could maybe act like ammo. The room produces them with max count of 3-4. A crewmate could then activate one and get the EVA suit for maybe 1 min before it disappeared at which point another EVA suit could be produced.

LordGideon
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by LordGideon » Fri May 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Original post modified. This is now a community thread. :) Zavier, feel free to sticky if you wish.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Fri May 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Done! Enjoy and keep it updated! There are a lot of good ideas. Some are easily possible to do in SC and others might be for SC2.

It would be hard to add crew sleeping rooms and such but possible on a sequal ;)

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

LordGideon
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Re: Community Suggestion Mega Thread

Post by LordGideon » Fri May 03, 2013 1:25 pm

I was just thinking about that. I'll come up with a better way of outlining some things.