A thought on storyline development.

If only we could hear you scream in space.
Zanten
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

A thought on storyline development.

Post by Zanten » Sat May 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Sorry if this idea's already been given, I'm still sifting through the suggestion threads. xP

Since it's certainly a fair bet that the storyline and scope of the setting is going to be extended beyond its current level, I was thinking that the community on the forum could be a benefit to the advancement of it.

I know that there are already discussions of modding tools being offered, but speaking as someone who's never modded anything, has no idea how to mod anything, and gets irritable and headachy when staring at coding, it doesn't offer much reprieve. It does leave out those who are interested in the creative aspects of writing- even if just adding new encounters with pre-existing races and storylines set within the boundaries established by the devs- but aren't really inclined towards fiddling with... whatever you coders fiddle with.

So, if the official releases- PC, iPod, what have you- plan at any point to have expansions to the game's missions and widen the scope a little, why not let the community get in on the fun a little?

The format of it would be up to debate; perhaps a spot on the forum to specifically discuss storylines, submit ideas, so on and so forth. They could be relatively small affairs, bigger storylines, etc, etc; think how the Star Trek novels are all written by loads of different authors, all on the same setting, same characters... there's potential for a rich tapestry of ideas, from dozens of different sources. It wouldn't just be considered a side-plot, or an alternate setting, but it would have the opportunity to develop and add to Star Command's very own equivalent of Canon. The relatively simple format of the stories- the dialogue-driven exposition and such- makes the game ideal for amateur writers to sink their teeth into it.

Of course, like any publishing venture, there'd have to be an element of moderation and editing; to keep a storyline like 'The Intrepid Crew Faces The Dreaded Buttholes Of Targus Six' Or 'Captain! Quick! We Have To Get The Tarsian Empress's Cat Out Of The Crushing Tree And Prevent Intergalactic War!' The game's definitely got a tongue-in-cheek humor to it, but there are still probably ways to go a liiittle too far with the farce, and so having someone to sift through the submissions and pick out 'winners.'

I had some thoughts as to how such a thing could be managed, but that's another big post worth, so figured I'd just leave things like this for now. o.o

SilentEcho
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: A thought on storyline development.

Post by SilentEcho » Sat May 04, 2013 3:06 pm

To expand on this thought. It's impossible to mod on iOS right?
"Your only stopping your self from achieving your goals...unless your fighting the grol then your screwed" -Soviet Zombie

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Sun May 05, 2013 8:24 pm

SilentEcho wrote:To expand on this thought. It's impossible to mod on iOS right?
Correct!

@OP I may start a contest to create a story line like this and others... Still working on details with the devs =]

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Wadespec
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Wadespec » Tue May 28, 2013 8:57 am

Great idea and I for one would love to be in on it. In fact just yesterday I was looking into all the races on the Star Command wiki and thought... wow this could really be developed well. Its like a potential goldmine for backstory, missions and other lore friendly content. I just hope that the devs expand upon this in a careful way and pay attention to all the worthy stories that fans could create (that said, if they ever do expand on it).
I wish I could put my actual signature on this thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZTqzOF2zA - I want to see the other 70% of this games original vision.
☻ / This is Bob, copy & paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world.

Martin01
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Martin01 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:00 am

Maybe when you hire a crew member they have an energy bar like in sims and when your members have low energy there performance in battle,healing and/or fixing so to raise there energy bar they could go to a (minimum) small or large room and sleep
We offer best quality esixsigma test papers

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Post by stevetranby » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:55 am

╱╱┏╮
╱╱┃┃
▉━╯┗━╮
▉┈┈┈┈┃
▉╮┈┈┈┃
╱╰━━━╯