Ranks

If only we could hear you scream in space.
Harlock
Chief
Chief

Ranks

Post by Harlock » Wed May 15, 2013 8:49 am

Ok currently the bottom five ranks are (from low to high) Rookie, Junior Ensign, Ensign, Squaddie, and Chief.

Let's skip Rookie and Squaddie for a sec and discuss 'Chief.' Chief in naval terms is short for Chief Petty Officer--an enlisted rank (as opposed to an officer rank).

Ensign is the lowest naval officer rank. We can assume that rookie and squaddie are both enlisted ranks also--rookie for obvious reasons and squaddie because it's slang for a private soldier, with an implication of the lower ranks.

Still awake? :) My point here is that the rank structure currently goes ([enlisted], [officer], [officer], [enlisted], [enlisted]) before getting to Lt and up (all officer ranks).

My inner Rain Man is crying out in pain at these being out of order!

Should be Rookie, Squaddie, Chief, Junior Ensign, Ensign, Junior Lt, etc...

XidanePayne
Chief
Chief

Re: Ranks

Post by XidanePayne » Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 am

Chief "Pretty" Officer :lol: hahaha, priceless! That's what comes in mind every single time... Reminds me of how pretty Master Chief is :lol:

Why not change it entirely? I mean.... we can keep Ensign, it sounds fun. If i could decide....

Lower ranks....
Rookie, Jr Ensign, Ensign

Middle ranks...
Lieutenant, Major, Commander

Higher ranks...
Add the word "supreme" to everything in the middle ranks:lol: .....because it sounds so superior. And the players have earned that title. Dayum, i'd like to be called "Supreme Lieutenant" or maybe "Supreme Chief Petty Officer". Puts me up there above the clouds.

Btw.... this rain man of yours...... anything you want to talk about? I'm there for ya buddy, cry out on my shoulder.

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am

XidanePayne wrote:Middle ranks...
Lieutenant, Major, Commander
They've used a (mainly, Squaddie is the only one not very naval) naval rank structure... Major is an Army rank (equivalent to a Lieutenant Commander).

XidanePayne
Chief
Chief

Post by XidanePayne » Wed May 15, 2013 10:20 am

Aha.... it just hit me.... naval as in sea, oceans and ships..... And in the game, we're commanding a starship and the vast space is the "water". Ok, please continue Harlock, don't mind me and my few brain cells.... :lol:

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Wed May 15, 2013 10:29 am

Well, the BSG remake played it loose with rank titles but most Sci-Fi (and specifically Trek--an obvious significant influence on SC) tends toward navy ranks when presenting space military organizations.

The whole thing can create confusion! An army/air force Captain is an O-3--same as a navy Lieutenant. An army/air force lieutenant is either an O-1 (2nd Lt [navy Ensign]) or O-2 (1st Lt [navy Lieutenant Junior Grade]) and a navy Captain is an O-6 just like an army/air force Colonel. Perfectly straight, right??? :) And the Marines, who are under the Department of the Navy, use army-style officer ranks!

This is the trouble with traditions...

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Wed May 15, 2013 10:33 am

And pity US Navy O-7's... Rear Admiral (Lower Half).

Worst. rank. ever.

Hiker
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Hiker » Wed May 15, 2013 3:38 pm

I has a question about the ranks. In the game other than as like a level/exp indicator does it do anything else? Does the higher ranks have more HP or operate the rooms faster?

As for the naming of the ranks. why are there ranks under Ensign anyway? I don't watch a lot of Star Trek, which this seems to resemble, but I don't recall any of the characters that are even vaguely mentioned to be anything under Ensign. Even the redshirts are all Ensign rank and above.

XidanePayne
Chief
Chief

Post by XidanePayne » Wed May 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Yeeeeeaaahhh..... perfectly straight. What i thought as well......

Wait, what? Haha, there's such a thing as a "Rear" Admiral? What a *pretty* rank! :lol:

But if SC got inspiration from Star Trek, and they use navy ranks.... then it would be pretty bad to just change it for no apparent reason.
Last edited by XidanePayne on Wed May 15, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Wed May 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Hiker wrote:As for the naming of the ranks. why are there ranks under Ensign anyway? I don't watch a lot of Star Trek, which this seems to resemble, but I don't recall any of the characters that are even vaguely mentioned to be anything under Ensign.
Enlisted folks don't get too much screen time in Trek… Whenever you hear someone in Trek referred to as 'Crewman [name],' that's one. Chief O'brien from TNG/DS9 is really the only notable enlisted character that jumps to mind.

I don't think the ranks do anything for you except give you an idea of how much you've invested in that guy that just got sucked out into space… :) Their skill levels are what determine how useful they are.

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Wed May 15, 2013 4:45 pm

XidanePayne wrote:Wait, what? Haha, there's such a thing as a "Rear" Admiral? What a sparkly rank! :lol:
XidanePayne, your filter is broken again. HAPPY G-MAN??? :cry: