Ranks

If only we could hear you scream in space.
XidanePayne
Chief
Chief

Re: Ranks

Post by XidanePayne » Wed May 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Harlock wrote:
XidanePayne wrote:Wait, what? Haha, there's such a thing as a "Rear" Admiral? What a sparkly rank! :lol:
XidanePayne, your filter is broken again. HAPPY G-MAN??? :cry:
Good point :lol: Think about the kids. The word was supposed to go together with "rear".... and my vocabulary is pretty limited, hahaha. I apologize.

Travis Knight
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Travis Knight » Wed May 15, 2013 6:08 pm

What is the max rank the crew can attain in the game? I've got half of them up to Lt. Commanders, but no one above that hump yet.

Is it possible to crew the entire ship with Admirals?

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Thu May 16, 2013 5:54 am

So far First Officer is the highest. Two up from LCR.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 am

Star Command is a coalition of the worlds Navy, Army, and Air force. As such there there was a mixture of ranks and status associated with them.

A squaddie is Star Command term for a pilot and brings more prestige then some of the old ranking systems of Earth.

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Thu May 16, 2013 9:14 am

Zavier wrote:A squaddie is Star Command term for a pilot and brings more prestige then some of the old ranking systems of Earth.
So my 'Squaddie' science troop is actually a pilot? Makes less sense than having a Chief outrank an Ensign...

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu May 16, 2013 9:31 am

Harlock wrote:
Zavier wrote:A squaddie is Star Command term for a pilot and brings more prestige then some of the old ranking systems of Earth.
So my 'Squaddie' science troop is actually a pilot? Makes less sense than having a Chief outrank an Ensign...
He's a pilot for a science plane! Totally makes sense...

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Thu May 16, 2013 9:50 am

So my suggestion is that the ranks in this game are out of order and should be fixed.

Travis Knight
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Travis Knight » Fri May 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Eh... Leftenant, lieutenant. It doesn't bother me enough to have this be a priority. I suppose if they change it, it would be coo, for verisimilitude's sake.

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Sat May 18, 2013 9:34 am

Am I suggesting that this is a priority? No, I am not.

Am I suggesting that this is a critical problem that affects gameplay? Once again, no, I am not. There's definitely no need to get anyone at Apple out of bed at 3 AM to get this 'code red,' three-alarm patch submitted.

Is the rank order in the game wrong? Yes. Yes, it is. And it's a two-second copy-and-paste job in a plist file to fix it. Thin, made-up-on-the-spot explanations for why it's wrong notwithstanding, there's no good reason not to fix it.

Look, if you noticed that the countdown on your plasma torpedo targeting went "10, 8, 7, 9, 6, 3, 2, 5, 1, 4" you can bet people would be pointing out the error and suggesting it be fixed. Why? Because everyone knows that 'three' is a word indicating the number that lives between 'two' and 'four.' Anything else is--black and white--wrong and most people would concede that point.

I'll concede that there's a significantly smaller portion of the population that knows an ensign outranks a chief (and likely an even smaller group than that who actually care about it). That doesn't make it any less incorrect.

I do know. Although I served in the Air Force, I spent time on Army, Navy, and Marine installations working with personnel from those branches and had to be familiar with their ranks. Rank is kind of a big deal to a lot of people in the military (especially when theirs is higher than yours) and it determines a large part of your behavior when interacting with other military members. It's a clear-cut, structured hierarchy. Anyone else on the forum that served in the military (especially Navy in this case) that would dispute that?

And even in the fictional game setting there's a (mostly) sensible hierarchy based on real-world precedent. The highest ranking guy in Star Command we as players talk to is an admiral. He's a big wig and we know it--most people know that an admiral is a superior rank. Well, if we're ignoring real-world precedent, why not use 'admiral' for the lowest rank? Because most people would agree that doesn't make sense.

There's a real-world precedent for what 'ensign' or 'chief' means, too, despite the fact that fewer people are familiar with those meanings. Doesn't make it any less incorrect.

Devs: your ranks are out of order. Please fix.

3kul
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 3kul » Sun May 19, 2013 12:26 am

I'd also like to see it fixed, given that it seems somewhat haphazard and, even without knowing the proper military order of the ranks, it doesn't make much logical sense.

It might not be urgent, but unlike some issues this would be incredibly easy to fix (particularly if the dev team consults with Harlock, from the looks of this thread).