IMPROVE IT: UI/UX Revisions

If only we could hear you scream in space.
jpcoombs
Developer
Developer

IMPROVE IT: UI/UX Revisions

Post by jpcoombs » Wed May 15, 2013 11:27 am

Hey Star Commanders!

We are looking to improve Star Command with the communities help! We are going to be starting a series of conversations with the community for future updates of the game and we want you to be involved in making Star Command a better game.

What do you get for participating? Well, first the game gets better - and we will be reading and commenting in these areas. And yes, we will challenge you on things and bring up potential pitfalls and things you may not have considered.

Second, we will be giving away beta access to the best contributors so you can help test these new features you help develop! We will also have free copies of the game as gifts for contributors as well!

So, our first subject:

UI/UX Revisions
Star Command has quite a few systems in place and sometimes it can get a bit confusing to who is doing what and what exactly they are affecting. So what would you do? What could be improved on? Is it unclear how many crew members are assigned to a room? How efficient they are running? Where the hell is that hull breach and where is the area of effect? We want to get your thoughts on interface upgrades/changes/additions to make the game clearer and more streamlined.
Founder, Warballoon
www.starcommandgame.com
@starcommandgame

jasonkw
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: IMPROVE IT: UI/UX Revisions

Post by jasonkw » Wed May 15, 2013 11:46 am

1. Some kind of indicator or icon that displays when a crew member is selected that will show which room to which they are currently assigned.

2. An option to un-assign a crew member from their current assignment (basically turn their shirt white again). Every now and then I want to reassign crew members to full rooms and when they are all full I can't shift them around to make room elsewhere.

MooMin
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by MooMin » Wed May 15, 2013 11:47 am

Hey!
I myself am an Android user, so I haven't had a chance to play the game as of yet, but from what i've heard the game should have a "pause and think" sort of option, where you can pause the game to deliver all of the orders.
Now, I understand this might seem to break rythem but it is possible to have this a "charge" ability or to have it limited by time.
I have other ideas but since i have yet to lay my hands on the game i cannot tell if they're of any relevance...
Also, Bring the game to android already ¬.¬, Seriously, i'm checking your site almost on a daily basis for fear of missing it =]

Phortis
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Phortis » Wed May 15, 2013 11:48 am

As far as the UI goes, I would like to see the option to implement a group selection ability. Maybe have a side pullout menu where you can select multiple members and make them into a group for easier movement. Also adding an icon next to an individual's name showing where he is currently assigned to would help (I'm sure you have already seen several posts from others about that as well).

Another thing that could help is the ability to see where exactly your placing your unit before the command to move is finalized. Something along the lines of holding down the location you want to place your guy then moving/adjusting before you release your finger sending him to that location.

Those are the only ones I can think of so far :) if I have others I'll be sure to put them up as well.

-Phortis

jasonkw
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by jasonkw » Wed May 15, 2013 11:53 am

Phortis wrote:As far as the UI goes, I would like to see the option to implement a group selection ability. Maybe have a side pullout menu where you can select multiple members and make them into a group for easier movement.s
Ditto!

megaben
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by megaben » Wed May 15, 2013 11:54 am

UI/UX Revisions
Star Command has quite a few systems in place and sometimes it can get a bit confusing to who is doing what and what exactly they are affecting. So what would you do? What could be improved on?

Is it unclear how many crew members are assigned to a room?
A way of making slightly easier to see how people are assigned to each room would be to either show it in a 1 out of 5 fashion or something, either when you've clicked the room (the menu selection where you select for the room(s) to make more ammo etc, or add an additional menu icon or something similar, but gives you a decent amount of information about these kinds of things, (with a zoom function for the smaller screened ipods/some android devices)

How efficient they are running?
Similar to the above suggestion, only with percentages for efficiency (duh!)

Where the hell is that hull breach and where is the area of effect?
Maybe a way to solve this is to add a similar A.O.E. flashing marker thing, like the ones that pop up in a line when your ship's under about to get shot to hell, only bigger, flashing once maybe ever 5/10 seconds, and a different color, and maybe a slightly different graphic, so it's incredibly hard to get it confused with an actual attack.

All of this is open for criticism, or to be generally shot down or ripped to sheds, or just improved on.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 pm

jasonkw wrote:
Phortis wrote:As far as the UI goes, I would like to see the option to implement a group selection ability. Maybe have a side pullout menu where you can select multiple members and make them into a group for easier movement.s
Ditto!
That totally doesn't count... ;)

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

EwokStarCruiser
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by EwokStarCruiser » Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 pm

I agree with jasonkw about room unassignment. Having that would make it less of a hassle to transfer people between rooms if said rooms are full.

Also, I know I'm going to get criticized for this but some sort of "wait" on selection option that could be enabled or disabled. I get that this is supposed to be a space ship simulator with you as captain and that it's supposed to be frantic, but the way it's implemented leaves too much margin of error. If I mean to select a tactical crew and move him and accidentally select an engineer and send him to his death in a firefight then that is a failure of the game to reflect my command. If, in reality, I actually was the captain I could just go on the intercom and "say tactical A, move here, engage enemies" but the interface is failing to reflect that. And I'm playing on iPad so I can imagine it's worse for iPhone users.

So my proposal (and I'm open to alternatives although I feel this would be the most straightforward solution) would be to have a feature in the option menu in which the game pauses whenever you select a crew member and unpauses when you give them an order similar to the "wait" feature in many Final Fantasy games where the time bar pauses when you are giving commands. You could have "Wait" turned on or off and those that want things to be frantic have the option to turn it off and those who prefer a more casual or strategic experience could turn it on. This way you're pleasing both crowds!

fuzzydunlop
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by fuzzydunlop » Wed May 15, 2013 12:06 pm

My biggest gripe is that moving crew around during battles is a pain, because trying to select each individual crewman, and then give them one specific order to follow, is needlessly cumbersome and chaotic to manage during the fevered pitch of battle. Between using your ship's abilities, fighting borders, repairing damage, and healing/retreating crew, there's way too much to pay attention to to make the one-person/one-command UI system work.

Especially on phones, where the tiny screen makes it so that issuing precise commands is difficult, and only allows you to see a small part of your ship at any given time if you want to be zoomed in at any useful level of command-giving detail.

Here's what I'd like to see:

1) The ability to issue commands while paused. If you do nothing else, this would go a long way towards making battles less of a headache. I would even suggest this as a band-aid fix to do ASAP until you decide to take bigger steps, such as:

2) The ability to issue orders to entire groups, instead of individual crew. Reacting to changing circumstances is harder than it needs to be, because you have to tell each person what to do, even if you want to order a group the same command. I recognize the challenge with a touch screen, but even simple groups like "everyone in this room" or "all tactical officers" or "all officers on screen" would help. Though I will note that the "everyone in a room" command could still be a pain for players like me who like to move everybody except for one officer out of the room, so that the room will continue to work...something that addresses that would be nice if you go this route.

3) The ability to issue orders starting with the target rather than the officer. For example, if I want to fight a boarding party, I would be able to tap a bad guy and issue a "nearby tactical officers, attack this target" command, and any eligible officers would move to respond. Or if I wanted to put out a fire or repair a hull breach, I could tap the fire/breach and issue a "repair" command and a nearby engineering officer would move to fix it.

In my opinion, the third option would make for the most fun game; it would make me feel like a proper captain, in that I could recognize the threat and take an action directly on the threat, trusting my officers to take the best path to respond to it. Instead, I feel like more like a babysitter, going one-by-one and saying "Jeffrey, move to that spot, no not that spot, don't stand in the fire Jeffery, fire is bad, stand in this spot! Get out of the way of the lasers Jeffery, you're a doctor, not a soldier!" to each individual officer while also trying to keep track of a battle situation.

jpcoombs
Developer
Developer

Post by jpcoombs » Wed May 15, 2013 12:09 pm

jasonkw wrote:
Ditto!
Yea this is a popular request.
Founder, Warballoon
www.starcommandgame.com
@starcommandgame