IMPROVE IT: UI/UX Revisions

If only we could hear you scream in space.
GunPhase
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: IMPROVE IT: UI/UX Revisions

Post by GunPhase » Thu May 16, 2013 2:18 pm

XidanePayne wrote:
GunPhase wrote:Regarding tokens, I was wondering if could get the chance to keep or throw away our choice of tokens when we receive over the maximum capacity.
Gunny, you have the option to throw away tokens you don't want. There's a trash can next to the tokens, just drag and drop the ones you don't want into the trash can and voila! Magic! :lol:
The trash bin option is helpful, but what if you forget to trash tokens you don't need before you get rewarded new ones. If you already have 15 then you lose those rewards without any say. I say we need to have the option to trash tokens when we get rewarded. This way it allows people more freedom and time to think of which tokens they would rather keep between a total of 15-19 tokens.

One scenario is you trashed 4 tokens, and at the end of battle you receive tokens that were less useful to you than the previous 4. Not that this function would be very helpful end game when you have everything, but it would be nice for new players and more casual players.

djenders
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by djenders » Thu May 16, 2013 3:17 pm

jpcoombs wrote:UI/UX Revisions
Star Command has quite a few systems in place and sometimes it can get a bit confusing to who is doing what and what exactly they are affecting. So what would you do? What could be improved on? Is it unclear how many crew members are assigned to a room? How efficient they are running? Where the hell is that hull breach and where is the area of effect? We want to get your thoughts on interface upgrades/changes/additions to make the game clearer and more streamlined.
Tokens
I would like to see the opportunity to reorganize / arrange the tokens. It's a simple thing, but I don't necessarily find it easy to scan them and see what I do / don't have.

Return All
Would like it to be easy to return everyone to their respective rooms.

Call to Arms
If we can't group team members for incoming attacks / boarding parties, how about some functionality to call all armed crew members to a certain area instead of selecting them one by one?

Choose a Ship
It would be nice to be able to see the interior layout of the ship you choose before making a purchase / choice. And speaking of which, it would be nice to upgrade or buy a new ship in different ports vs. just at the start of a game.

Contraband / Upgrades
Been mentioned a few times here. We can already assign skills to crew members, would be nice to have 2-3 slots for other upgrades. Purchased, looted, or awarded.

UI Improvements
I don't necessarily mind the lower left hand icon to get to your crew, etc. But since we are only talking about three pieces of functionality here I was raise those to the top and just make icons on the main screen vs. burying them. Maybe they get in the way for battles and that is the reason why they are hidden in another menu, but seems like an easy improvement.

If you did that, I'd group it with the tokens as well.

And if you did that, then I would consider being able to assign that to the left or right hand of the screen to give easy access to everyone and let them choose if they are right or left handed.

djenders
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by djenders » Thu May 16, 2013 3:26 pm

I like hull breaches, and damage to the ship Would be nice to have the ability to run from a fight or abandon a fight.

If that was added to the storyline, it probably means having the ability of your ship being destroyed or something catastrophic.

XidanePayne
Chief
Chief

Post by XidanePayne » Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 pm

djenders wrote: Tokens
I would like to see the opportunity to reorganize / arrange the tokens. It's a simple thing, but I don't necessarily find it easy to scan them and see what I do / don't have.
I like this idea! It might not be top priority, or.... i don't know. Many times i've wanted to organize those darn tokens.... red ones here, blue ones there, yellow ones over there and room tokens in that corner...... but i couldn't.

A simple feature to just drag one token and drop it on another to switch slots yes? :lol: Would be nice.

MichaelChangGummelt
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by MichaelChangGummelt » Thu May 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Just got through playing so I have some fresh thoughts on this:

1) Once all the rooms are upgraded, it's very hard to find space in the smaller rooms to place your guys. I will click on what could be a valid spot behind something, but they either can't go there because there's not a space there anymore (due to the upgrade), their path is blocked by someone else or there's already someone there. Maybe if when you click on a spot that's not a valid space, briefly highlight where the valid squares are. Also, allow crew members to pass through the same square. I don't see any gameplay need to make the players micromanage navigation by manually making other AI move out of the way of each other. (Enemy AI passes right through you, let friendly AI do the same).

2) Often when I pack a room with people, it's hard to tell who is who. I don't imagine putting names over people's heads would be a good idea, too much clutter. But I need some way of knowing if the yellow shirt in the room is assigned to that room or if I sent them there to fix something and if they could/should be sent elsewhere. Maybe something as simple as outlining the health bar differently (blue or division color outline instead of white?) if they're in the room they were assigned to? Or maybe a small icon next to their health bar that indicates they're assigned to their current room (or the icon conveys which room they're assigned to) - to avoid clutter, this icon could only appear when they're selected. That way I don't accidentally send a guy assigned to the Dodge Generator out to fix a hull breach.

3) I would really like to know what the extents of a hull breach vacuum is. I don't mind that my guys can get blown out if I don't pay attention, but I'd like to have the information necessary to make an informed decision about where to send them and what to avoid.

4) When a character dies, I'd like to see their name - maybe not on the icon that appears on the right, but if I click that icon, show me the name & rank of who died (it takes me to where they died, but I can't usually tell and have to figure it out by process of elimination). This is important because I grow attached to the vets on the ship and if a vet dies, I might just decide to restart right then and there. But if it's a new recruit, I'll let them go.

5) I'd like to see rank icons instead of just text up top. Would feel more Star Trekky and would give me more of an instant idea of how good a character is at a quick glance (rather than having to recall if a squaddie is better than a chief or a junior lieutenant or whatnot). Ideally, I'd love to see that icon next to their health bar, too (maybe only when selected?)

6) Getting back to the problem of it being very crowded and not knowing who someone is because they're obscured, I wonder if when I select someone you could show them through everything else for a second so I can see clearly who I have just selected. And/or put their name over their healthbar for a second?

7) I find it very hard to tap on a room to generate more ammo when it's full of people. I usually try to tap on the bottom corner of a room since I know there are valid squares there, but I often end up tapping on an ally or enemy. Is it possible that even if I tap on an ally or enemy in one of the token-generating rooms, it still gives me the option to generate ammo in the room, in addition to any character-specific actions listed at the bottom? This would help a lot.

8) Are there sounds to notify you when one of your weapons/defenses is charged up and ready to use? The token ready sound is very helpful, but I often miss when my weapons are ready to be used because I'm so pre-occupied with fighting invaders. It helps to have a second pair of eyes to let you know (quite fun, really), but a sound would help.

9) One frustration I have is that I'll sometimes tap on a redshirt and try to send them after an alien and it just won't take the tap. I don't know if the tap has to be very precise or if the room they're in gets in the way (sometimes there's nothing in the way) or if the game thinks the alien is already in the next square or what. But this specific-alien targeting fails way too frequently.

10) Another issue I have is, in the heat of battle, tapping on a guy and sending him to a point that may be crowded. I find I often will accidentally tap on a different crewmate when trying to tap the destination of the original and now I'm all backwards. I go back and try to tap the original guy, miss and now the second guy is heading towards the first when I wanted the exact opposite. I know this is a difficult problem because you want to allow them to change their selection. I'm afraid I don't yet have a good solution to offer for this one, but it is an issue I encounter fairly frequently.

11) When I want to send a whole roomful of guys to positions at once, I find I'll send the first two or three, but then I'll forget which ones I already sent (because the other guys are actively walking around the room too). Maybe for a couple seconds after I send someone to a goal, they stay highlighted so I know they're already en route to somewhere else? Making the problem worse, when I do go back and tap on someone I just sent somewhere, it's not always clear if the one I just selected is heading somewhere. I just sent 2 or 3 guys so maybe the goals I'm seeing are for someone else and this guy is actually not en route? Again some sort of status icon (like an arrow) next to the healthbar (for a couple seconds after goal setting and/or when selected) will help - and highlight the point *they* are going to when I select them?

12) Better yet, when I select a guy and send him somewhere, show me the route he's going to take (for a few seconds or until I select someone else). This will help me see if the route he's taking is a dangerous one and if I should hold him back. (Ideally, I could edit the route by dragging any point on it to take a safer path, but I'd be happy just to see the preview).

13) One more thing: I often can't remember what the special ability is a guy has until I select them. I can remember for some, but not when I have up to 15 crew. Especially since they change as they go up in skill. It would be nice to be able to see at a glance who has what special ability (and whether it's recharged). Again, going with icons or some special pulsing border on their health bar to let me know. If it's an icon, it would have to be displayed next to their health bar when it's charged and ready, so that could cause some clutter. But it would be really nice to know.

14) I lied, another thing: when a guy goes up in skill and gets a new ability, what if I liked the old one better? Shouldn't I have the option of picking any of the 3 skills once they get to 30? Why not let me pick any one. Sometimes the older one is better for the specific situation (like long range shooting being useful against fire ants?) If you wanted, you could make the level 10 ability recharge faster than the level 30 one once you've gotten that high. Just present all 3 choice when you select them.

15) Oh, okay, one more: When I'm looking at upgrades for my room, I constantly have to go back and forth between the description which lists the price and the token screen to see if I can afford it. Maybe show a small display of all the tokens I have at the bottom of the screen. That way I can mentally do the math and keep in mind how I'm going to spend all the tokens as I'm browsing through the upgrades.

Also, add my +1 to things like group select and group "return to station". I'd also love to be able to (in non-combat), assign an Engineer to "fix the ship" or a Medic to "heal crew" and they'd just go around the ship on their own and take care of things while I take care of other things. They'd have to stop this automatic behavior once the Red Alert hits, though, so they're not off doing things without me knowing.

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Great game, loving the hell out of it! Played it with my son Wednesday night in the movie theater as we waited an hour for Star Trek Into Darkness to start. :)
Michael Chang Gummelt
Raven Software

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Fri May 17, 2013 2:03 am

jpcoombs wrote:What do you get for participating? Well, first the game gets better - and we will be reading and commenting in these areas. And yes, we will challenge you on things and bring up potential pitfalls and things you may not have considered.
There are a number of threads in the suggestions [including the 'mega' one] sub-forum that have UI/UX revisions… have they been sufficiently reviewed/discussed or would you prefer to have them pulled together here?
the only person I represent is Glacian
- cold hearted bastard… in space -

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Fri May 17, 2013 7:08 am

Glacian wrote:
jpcoombs wrote:What do you get for participating? Well, first the game gets better - and we will be reading and commenting in these areas. And yes, we will challenge you on things and bring up potential pitfalls and things you may not have considered.
There are a number of threads in the suggestions [including the 'mega' one] sub-forum that have UI/UX revisions… have they been sufficiently reviewed/discussed or would you prefer to have them pulled together here?
Some have been brought to their attention. Others are repeats here. This thread stands on its own for now. They know about then other one ;)

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

MichaelChangGummelt
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by MichaelChangGummelt » Fri May 17, 2013 7:28 am

Expounding on a couple of my suggestions above:
MichaelChangGummelt wrote: 6) Getting back to the problem of it being very crowded and not knowing who someone is because they're obscured, I wonder if when I select someone you could show them through everything else for a second so I can see clearly who I have just selected. And/or put their name over their healthbar for a second?
6-a) Also, I think you may need to partially alpha out the sections of the equipment/upgrades in the rooms that are blocking crewmembers - just like you do with the walls and doors.
MichaelChangGummelt wrote: 11) When I want to send a whole roomful of guys to positions at once, I find I'll send the first two or three, but then I'll forget which ones I already sent (because the other guys are actively walking around the room too). Maybe for a couple seconds after I send someone to a goal, they stay highlighted so I know they're already en route to somewhere else? Making the problem worse, when I do go back and tap on someone I just sent somewhere, it's not always clear if the one I just selected is heading somewhere. I just sent 2 or 3 guys so maybe the goals I'm seeing are for someone else and this guy is actually not en route? Again some sort of status icon (like an arrow) next to the healthbar (for a couple seconds after goal setting and/or when selected) will help - and highlight the point *they* are going to when I select them?
11-a) Maybe also let me drag the point I am sending them to in case I tapped on the wrong spot (so I don't have to go back and try to tap on the guy again, then try tapping the position again)? I realize any kind of dragging input is tricky when you also use drag to pan, but some way to fine-tune their goal marker once you've placed it would be nice.
MichaelChangGummelt wrote: 12) Better yet, when I select a guy and send him somewhere, show me the route he's going to take (for a few seconds or until I select someone else). This will help me see if the route he's taking is a dangerous one and if I should hold him back. (Ideally, I could edit the route by dragging any point on it to take a safer path, but I'd be happy just to see the preview).
12-a) Also - for the line segments that pass through dangerous areas (hull breach triggers, fires, enemies?), draw the line segment red (or flashing white or something if the line segment matches the guy's division color or something).
Michael Chang Gummelt
Raven Software

Wheeler
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Wheeler » Fri May 17, 2013 7:42 am

First off…love the game!

I was thinking about crew management, specifically a way to reassign crew on the fly, without them going to their new room, and possibly strolling by a hull breach (not that that’s happened to me…no, no). I thought a token chest/victory summery window would be good. Column A is the Crew Members with ranks and the skill boxes. Column B is the Current Assignment using the room icon. Column C is the Available Billets, a collection of all/any unassigned rooms, again using the room icon.
When the assign button is tapped, the window pops up, and you drag the available room icon from C to the crew members assignment in B and drop. If a room is already assigned, it swaps back to the Available Billets (C). You could even swap between crew members. Un-assigning would be dragging the room token back from B to C. You might have to have a few pages with large crews, but it could still be more efficient. It also gives you a quick look at everyone’s assignments. And, when away teams become available, it will make it easier to reassign crew members…like when the medic falls prey to the local fauna.

I also thought it would be good to add the room assignment icon to the status bar items when you select a crew member.

willphase1
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by willphase1 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 am

Hi guys and thank you for taking the time to listen to the fans that have waited for so long. First off id like to say that i was happy with the first build of the game minus a few details like the difficulty and the way the choices really didn't affect much of the game play. The glitches and crashing i felt were understandable in such a young game and it being the first build and all so i moved passed that. This latest build however i find that you guys missed the target all together. The beginner difficulty is unplayable. By unplayable by the way i mean that all i have to do to beat the game is sit back and tap my screen for a few hours and my shields will never get penetrated and i never have to move a single crew member. in essence it has become boring.

<<<<Also a huge concern is how wen i start a game up and choose my second save file when i go back to save after playing for a bit the game automatically highlights the first game save and you have to manually select the second which you have already been playing...Totally UNCOOL i almost saved over my original game save twice already. Please fix>>>>