My idea- 'Alien influence'

If only we could hear you scream in space.
Wadespec
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

My idea- 'Alien influence'

Post by Wadespec » Tue May 28, 2013 9:44 am

Hi fellow Star Command fans,
I have an idea for the game that is called 'Alien influence' and I thought I'd give it some welly and bring it out to tell you all.

Basically the idea is that the more crew you have that are alien, the more the ship is 'influenced' by them. When I say 'influenced' I mean they attempt to put their interest and personal themes into the ship. If you still don't get what I mean I have several examples-

1. Ship decoration- A simple way that they could feel more at home would be to decorate certain areas or the entire insides of the ship to make it more lets say Antorian?

2. Room priorities- Maybe certain races would prefer certain rooms over others. They may ask to change rooms if they don't like the one that they are in. This maybe to do with the look, whose in it and simply what the room does.

3. Themed rewards- After a while and when the ship has a lot of a specific race they may offer you rewards depending on what choices you make to their specific race (mainly in conversations with non-crew members of their race). This could range from an interior turret (for warlike races) to experimentation rooms (for scientific races).

4. Alien rebellion- If you treat the non-crew members of a specific race too harshly and their are tons of them as crew on your ship you could cause a rebellion with a small number of them turning and if they get too close to non-hostile crew of the same race they may join them. So you have to send crew of a different race to the ones that could turn to protect them. You would also have to kill the hostile ones (as Darth Sidious says 'wipe them out, all of them') (maybe their aim is to unite all crew of their race first and then kill the captain as their goals when they turn).

Through this influence if it is handled right and the aliens get what they want (excluding the last one) then they might be able to perform better and this would in turn help you as a player.

If you read all of that please let me know what you think and please let me know what you like and what you would improve or remove and why. I just want to contribute to this small community and the devs that have made it all happen. Thank you by the way!
This is my first suggestion and I hope to make more.
I wish I could put my actual signature on this thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZTqzOF2zA - I want to see the other 70% of this games original vision.
☻ / This is Bob, copy & paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Re: My idea- 'Alien influence'

Post by Zavier » Tue May 28, 2013 10:24 am

1) is hard to do but might be something a PC expansion would add...

2) This didn't happen because the devs do not want to force a player to select a specific crew... Some people wouldn't be happy to have their humans weak in the weapons room and forced to have aliens aboard ;)

3+4 sound like sandbox elements. They would both probably work best there but for sure #4 wouldn't work too well in the main story. You are bound to piss some people off there ;)

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Tue May 28, 2013 12:15 pm

Also seems like this would dovetail into potential diplomacy changes in future versions of the game (like SC2)
the only person I represent is Glacian
- cold hearted bastard… in space -

Wadespec
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Wadespec » Tue May 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Zavier wrote:1) is hard to do but might be something a PC expansion would add...

2) This didn't happen because the devs do not want to force a player to select a specific crew... Some people wouldn't be happy to have their humans weak in the weapons room and forced to have aliens aboard ;)

3+4 sound like sandbox elements. They would both probably work best there but for sure #4 wouldn't work too well in the main story. You are bound to piss some people off there ;)

-Zavier
1. Cool.
2. Fair enough. I hadn't thought about that.
3. Interesting.
4. Piss is my middle name.

In all seriousness though thanks Zavier. You are committed to this forum. You really do the whole moderating thing well in your consistent appearance.
Last edited by Wadespec on Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZTqzOF2zA - I want to see the other 70% of this games original vision.
/ \ world.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Tue May 28, 2013 3:39 pm

*appearance*

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Wadespec
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Wadespec » Wed May 29, 2013 4:04 am

Zavier wrote:*appearance*

-Zavier
Really Zavier. I give you a compliment and you get all technical. Grammar police or what.... ;)
/ \ world.

jacson33
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by jacson33 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:47 pm

+4 sound like sandbox elements. They would both probably work best there but for sure #4 wouldn't work too well in the main story. You are bound to piss some people off there ;)
We are the pioneers in providing http://www.spanishprograms.com/ best of luck

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Post by stevetranby » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:12 am

Interesting ideas. Galaxies is striving to be somewhat open to these types of ideas, but I'm not sure if or how they'd apply whether as part of the core game or if mod support will enable them, or parts may end up not possible in the near future. The core gameplay in Galaxies right now is mainly what's in the Alpha. Manage crew and fulfill their desires affected by various objects, diplomatic/dialog choices and meeting aliens, as well as actions like eating, sleeping, and attacking. Some of your ideas (or parts of them) may be possible with the modding system in one of the alphas later this year.

1. You should be able to do this manually in Galaxies with upcoming new assets (or with mods), not sure we'll add automatic changing of ship interior based on acquired alien crew, but interesting idea. Mobile could support the automatic change of an entire room, but other things will have higher priority.

2. There's some aspects to this idea that might come into play with the desires system in Galaxies. So if eventually you can acquire alien crew or play as another alien species (possibly as mod) hopefully it's flexible enough where other aliens will have different desires which in turn could affect which rooms they desire to be in more than others so they'll be happier in one room over another, potentially. Again, might not be your idea, but maybe it's in a similar realm.

3. Again here it'll probably be less driven by alien type, but we definitely plan to support "drops" of kits or other items beyond tokens (but also new token types, at least in mobile). These new rewards will be in both. For mobile we have kits that can drop and skill points (an experiment on changing how skill levels work). In galaxies you'll be able to choose not to blow up an enemy ship and raid their stuff to acquire alien food, tech, weapons, etc.

4. Mutiny as gameplay has been discussed for Galaxies, but you bring some nice expansion on that idea. Not sure your version will ever be in Galaxies, but will add these ideas to the list for internal discussion.

As far as the original mobile game we are planning to have two modes going forward. The original story path which will get a few updates here and there with rooms, weapons, and species, and eventually hopefully some expanded story. And a "sandbox" (use that term loosely) mode we are currently calling "Free Roam" internally where it generates difficulty of each location randomly and your encounters will be had with much less dialog and hopefully more interesting choices (even if they only affect that encounter and/or your relationship with that alien faction).

We'll also experiment with ideas in this mode like bringing back in research, away teams visits to planets, shipyard, and star trading center, new token types, inventory for acquiring new kits and capabilities along with cosmetic upgrades to crew, possibly enhanced navigational elements like multiple engine types (that can travel certain dist/speed and thus need to get better engine to travel further). Lots of ideas, yours included, to help shape our path forward. Many won't make it out of testing, but hopefully these experiments will at least help refine ideas for Galaxies.
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Post by stevetranby » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 pm

You can see the galaxy team's thoughts on where Galaxies is heading in the next few months.
http://www.warballoon.com/2015/03/whats ... pha-4.html
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder