IMPROVE IT: Alien Tactics

If only we could hear you scream in space.
jpcoombs
Developer
Developer

IMPROVE IT: Alien Tactics

Post by jpcoombs » Thu May 30, 2013 10:45 am

Hey Star Commanders!

We are looking to improve Star Command with the communities help! We are going to be starting a series of conversations with the community for future updates of the game and we want you to be involved in making Star Command a better game.

What do you get for participating? Well, first the game gets better - and we will be reading and commenting in these areas. And yes, we will challenge you on things and bring up potential pitfalls and things you may not have considered.

Second, we will be giving away beta access to the best contributors so you can help test these new features you help develop! We will also have free copies of the game as gifts for contributors as well!

Also, with this post we want to bring attention to our new upvote/downvote system! In the upper right of each forum comment you can upvote/downvote. We are hoping to better filter popular/unpopular (you know who you are) ideas. Clearly it's not gospel but it helps us filter ideas with more momentum than others.

So, onto our second subject:

Alien Tactics
Star Command has a lot of aliens - with more to come. Right now they are distinct in their own ways - priorities, weapons strengths, speed, HP - but we want to make things better. We are looking for your ideas on alien tactics - things that the alien species can do to make the game more interesting. For instance, something we are considering is the ability for Antorians to plant bombs in rooms during invasions. Once those timers go off the room explodes for some massive damage taking it offline. Engineers, in turn, could "repair" the device to disarm it. We use this as the example because it adds a new gameplay element, doesn't require a mini-game and uses existing systems to change the way aliens work and what you have to do to defend them.

We are looking for similar ideas. We would like to keep it within our current alien set (Trilax, Antorian, Vocar, Avarian, Cortex, Grol and Zombies). However, we are open to ideas like subspecies or special units, like the Fireants or Heavy Ants with their special abilities within the Antorian species.
Founder, Warballoon
www.starcommandgame.com
@starcommandgame

Cafaling
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign
Location: The Internet, possibly a server building in Florida or California

Re: IMPROVE IT: Alien Tactics

Post by Cafaling » Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 am

Well, to kick it off I would like to suggest some things for a few species:

Zombies - Maybe they can eat dead crew and other zombies to regain health.

Cortex - Right off the bat, I was expecting the Cortex to go into my rooms to try hacking my shields or remotely hacking sentries to turn them against my crew. This would add another level to the defense aspect of battles.

Trilax - The Trilax are a very technologically oriented species, so I think these guys should try to build small assault droids that would spearhead room clearing

That's all I can think of so far. Please consider this stuff, I'll probably have more ideas tomorrow.
"I think I did this right..."

Help the wiki!: http://starcommand.wikia.com

FinNally
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by FinNally » Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 am

I love you Jordan...

BuckyOhare
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by BuckyOhare » Thu May 30, 2013 11:25 am

I think it would be kind interesting if the Vocar were to take your crew hostage and you'd have to break out of their brig to the transporter bay and then beam back to your ship after activating the self destruct of course.

I still can't think of the Avarian as villains. But it would be kind of funny if while they were boarding your ship they had a special attack where they could fly around and crap on your crew. This bird fecal matter landing on your crews faces would cause temporary blindness and the inability to fight.

Cortex would be great if they had an "organ stealing gun." So they board your ship and can steal your crew members organs. Hearts, lungs, stomachs, etc. So if your crew member has one of their organs stolen you have a certain time limit to either get them to sick bay or have them treated by a medical officer.

Grol should be able to hack into your ships weapon and shield systems. Maybe causing them to go offline until you eliminate the Grol that has hacked in.

Zombies should be able to be killed with one shot but have a lot more of them. If a crew member even gets touched by a zombie they would then turn into a zombie.

That's just a few ideas off the top of my head for alien species attacks.

drankin
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by drankin » Thu May 30, 2013 11:50 am

-Aliens could potentially reanimate your deceased crew members to use against you- like the Cortex taking a brain from a body and putting it into a new shell, or your own crew members returning as zombies and trying to kill you.

-Invading aliens that head straight for the bridge, activating some sort of self-destruct sequence for the ship that you have to race to the bridge to stop.

-Kamikaze Antorian Fireants that run into a crowd of crew and explode into a giant fireball.

-Smaller, faster Cortex fighters- maybe robotic dogs that chase and melee attack your crew members.

-Enemies with the ability to teleport from one area of the ship to another. This could wreak serious havoc if you have a big healer/death ball fighting a group of invaders and they suddenly moved to another part of the ship.

-I like the hostage idea- perhaps an enemy that beams aboard your ship, grabs a crew member and beams back to their ship.

-It would also be interesting if certain enemies had a retreat behavior- running away or beaming back to their ship if their health got too low, instead of just hanging out in a corner after their ship is destroyed and waiting to be executed. Perhaps enemy crew left behind after their ship is destroyed could be captured and then...

-If you capture enemy invaders, lock them in some sort of containment area, and then "convert" them to friendly crew if enough time elapsed. This way, you could have Antorian or Vocar crew members of your own, each with their own unique abilities. Even if it wasn't accomplished through this "capture" mechanic, it would be neat to have different "enemy" races with different skills working on your crew.

BuckyOhare
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by BuckyOhare » Thu May 30, 2013 12:04 pm

drankin wrote:-
-If you capture enemy invaders, lock them in some sort of containment area, and then "convert" them to friendly crew if enough time elapsed. This way, you could have Antorian or Vocar crew members of your own, each with their own unique abilities. Even if it wasn't accomplished through this "capture" mechanic, it would be neat to have different "enemy" races with different skills working on your crew.
This is a cool idea. Maybe even have it so if you have hostages in your brig and you get attacked by another enemy they try and release your hostages to help them fight you. Or you could exchange your hostages for technology, tokens, etc. if you did not want to convert them to friendlys.

ThorJw
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by ThorJw » Thu May 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Trilax: :idea:

1) Protector Trilax: Units that can activate a force shield to block gun fire from player's unit and thus protecting other invaders to showoff the species's high-tech nature. The force shield can be directional (allowing for backstab to deactivate the shield) or the shield can offer 360 degrees of protection but would be deactivated after a certain amount of damage is absorbed or if a grenade is thrown at it.

2) Medic Trilax: Special units that can heal fellow invaders

3) We can also have a group of Trilax who are more merchant like and function like a shop that sells tech equipment after the player beat the crap out of them once ??

Antorian: :idea:

3 types of units plus the bomb ability will make them insanely hard to deal with ... but we can always make it harder with,

1) Captain Class Ant: A bigger heavy ant with more life, slower movement and the ability to hold and throw fellow invaders or player's crew at the player's crew for knock back damage or to just simply help them 'MOVE' faster. Note: Only one captain class ant should be invading at any time.

2) Venom Ant: A melee unit that goes around biting player's crew to infect them with biological toxins which cause the bitten crew member to be weaken and enter a state where he can only crawl around and is only able to fire weapons as a staggering rate. The toxin can be removed by a science medical crew or when the infected crew enters the healing room.

Vocar: :idea:

1) Assassin Vocar: Units with light saber and 'fastest' movement or stealth ability but little health. This unit is basically a play on the dark and mysterious nature of this species so far.

2) Warrior Vocar: Units with dual light saber and ability to deflect laser shots with a certain percentage of success (65%??). I think giving them light sabers/laser swords would make them look badass and it is fitting for their image.

Avarian: :idea:

1) Avarian units cannot be back-stabbed or they take less damage from the back as they are protected by the cape that they wear. (Capes can be destroyed after taking certain amount of damage)

2) Avarian Trappers: Units that can shoot out mechanical nets that immobilizes player's crew trapping them at the caught location until the crew is released by having an engineer crew remove the net via welding with a blowtorch. Note: when immobilized, the trapped crew can still use range weapons.

Cortex: :idea:

1) Cortex units are able to extend their mechanical ARMS to grab and pull player's crew into their melee attack range.

2) Cortex units are able to shut down rooms when they enter a room and hijack the system with their 'hand' like R2D2 in star wars

3) Cortex units can be slowed down or immobilized when they are hit by attacks but can only be destroyed by grenades or 'any stronger weapons'. This suggestion is in an attempt to showcase the indestructible nature of their body while still allowing the players to defeat them.

Grol: :idea:

1) Grol units are able to consume a player's crew member by merging itself with the member. After possession is complete, only a slightly fatter Grol unit remains. The consumed member can be saved once the Grol unit is defeated by fellow crew members or it can be killed by the Grol if the member is not rescued after a certain period of time.

2) 2 Grol units can combined to form a larger Gorl unit with more health and a mid-range stretchable punch attack (Think luffy from one piece).

3) Grol units can also hack into rooms to shut them down like R2D2

Zombies: :idea:

1) Source Zombie: The ORIGINAL infection source for any ship that is infected by the zombie virus. This special zombie unit is bigger and badder with more health and the ability to spawn more zombies while on board the ship. The Source zombie will ONLY be teleported to the player's ship once the hostile Zombie spaceship reaches zero health and before the exploding animation.

Assuming the zombie threat from the Russian cosmonauts started spreading to other ships and only humans can be infected. We can have a set of 'modern zombies' mixed in with the cosmonaut zombies.

2) Engineer zombies that can shut down rooms.

3) Science Zombies that can heal fellow invader zombies.

4) Tactical Zombies that can use range weapons.

5) Human crew members killed by zombies will be revived as invader zombie.

THATS ALL ;)
Last edited by ThorJw on Fri May 31, 2013 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Evolution will always find a way = MORE ALIENS

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Thu May 30, 2013 12:44 pm

I think it seems reasonable to have the Grol and zombies (perhaps Cortex too) be fire resistant to some degree. Would also be neat to have Grol with the ability to phase through a wall and attack someone on other side (with a cool down.)
the only person I represent is Glacian
- cold hearted bastard… in space -

Klaleara

Post by Klaleara » Thu May 30, 2013 12:44 pm

I don't know the alien races, as I don't have an iPhone. I will explain some unique tactics.

- Plague: A DOT that can spread, unless you separate the infected person(s) from the rest.

- Shroom Attack: Chemicals put in the air. The crew (Including the player) starts seeing things that may, or may not be real. Allies may look like enemies, and enemies like look like allies. Also strange anomalies all over (Interesting things that may distract the player). Scientist must work on creating a counter-agent, or Engineer must filter the system.

- Putrid Corpse: When these alien die, their bodies release a gas that damage anyone close. They must be disposed of as soon as possible, before it spreads too much.

- Infection: A Crewmen that is infected will take Damage Over Time, until they are cured, or they die. If they die, a couple creatures will explode from the body, and attack the nearest person.

- System Hack: A random thing happens on the ship. Temperature change (Gets cold slowing units, hot which increases damage taken). Taking a room offline. Turning off lights, reducing ranged attacks. Take down shields. Turn off Oxygen. Locking doors. Engineer must re-hack the same system to bring the ship back to normal.

- Infestation: A vicious wire eating bug is released within the ship. The bugs will take down a room until a Scientist can figure out a way to purge them, or they die away.

- Abduction: A friendly crew-member is abducted by the enemy. They must be low health, and if given enough time, they will return....mutated/cyborged, and will fight against your crew.

All I have for now, I will come back with more.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu May 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Glacian wrote:I think it seems reasonable to have the Grol and zombies (perhaps Cortex too) be fire resistant to some degree. Would also be neat to have Grol with the ability to phase through a wall and attack someone on other side (with a cool down.)
But they already split into 2 or more fighters... What more do you want man!

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon