IMPROVE IT: Alien Tactics

If only we could hear you scream in space.
robocaptain
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: IMPROVE IT: Alien Tactics

Post by robocaptain » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Cortexians: Right now some aliens can pick up and throw units, but the Cortexians are all about assimilation - maybe they could knock out units they managed to hit, planning to take them back to their ship for assimilation after a battle. The units they hit would take no damage, but be unconscious, and have to be revived by a Science officer, possibly using a Revive token, although that might make things difficult for ships without a large Medical Bay.

Trilaxian: Since the Trilaxians are into stealing technology, it seems likely to me that they'd want to disable, instead of damage, your ship, the better to loot it. As such, maybe they could plant a device that completely shuts down a room, but does not start any fires or cause damage, and, as a twist, could only be removed by a Science officer (being advanced alien technology).

Vocar: For these guys, I think a lone (or maybe paired), 'commando' version of the Vocar with extra HP and a longer range, more damaging gun, would be an interesting alternative to the squads we've seen in the game as it is now. Since the Vocar believe in their superiority over other species, I like the idea that individual warriors could be arrogant enough to try and take on an entire ship alone.

- I don't think I've repeated anyone else's ideas here, but apologies if I've done so by mistake.

**sorry, meant to post this in the actual thread, not create a new one; i'm new to the forum thing. I'll copy this over to the real thread - is there a way to delete this though?

PegLegHeg
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by PegLegHeg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:21 pm

I guess I failed to connect the dots, but the way this would plug into Alien tactics is that if a boarding party has engineers, they could be REALLY dangerous... I mean sure, the 4- armed ant can throw you around, but watch the nerdy little any in the yellow husk, I mean shirt detonate a torpedo and kill several crew members at once... Or get to the ridge and reak havoc on all sorts of ship systems.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:41 am

Glacian wrote:This thread spiraled out into a new general suggestions thread… the original post was about improving alien tactics and units; it noted using existing races and not having mini-games. Let's stick to something resembling that folks.
Yes, stay on topic guys and I will be cleaning this later tonight...
ThorJw wrote:Why does this keep appearing everytime i talk about the Midorians :( ...

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
When I installed the up vote mod, it messed up a bunch of settings... I am still working on it daily/bidaily. It should be fixed now again... If you get the message PM me right away and I'll check it out.

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:39 pm

I like the idea of a Trilaxian saboteur who teleports in and starts taking down rooms. I'd keep a small team ready at all times to send after one to kill, repair, and heal like a white blood cell :geek:

Conrad
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Conrad » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Trilaxian :some sort of "planting" thing where they try to take the bridge with a countdown or what not

kingposiedon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kingposiedon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:18 pm

ZOMBIES:

If 1 zombie or more are able to stay in a room for 30 seconds then they can infect the devices/upgrades so they either blow up causing damage
or making the machines turn against you e.g. the calcutron 2000 starts making the count down slower or your command display repeatedly says
"MALFUNCTION" and reduces the energy of your shields.

bim9bill
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by bim9bill » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:13 pm

First off I love the game.

This may be of topic, but I think that if you make the ship, our ship, able to be destroyed we would have an entirely new game and the existing aliens would then become 20x harder to kill. I was able to complete the black hole level in one sitting, just putting my guys in the weapon rooms and plow though the game. I never repaired my ship, except for the weapon rooms, the hallways were fire. Towards the end I had 11 haul breaches and the Aliens never made it too where my crew was.

Examples of damage results.
Engine room off line, can't move to next planet to continue.
Shield room down, after the battle your breaches are still sucking everyone out.
Bridge down, no navigation or communication.
Medial down, life support issues and no healing.
Too much damage and your ship is destroyed.

Would make the game much harder, and what I think you intended.

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Your instincts are right bim9bill… that's off topic :)

This thread is specifically about changing aliens, not the game overall. There's a mega thread for game suggestions as well as an entire sub-forum.

Tyler1776
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Tyler1776 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:06 pm

TELEPORTATION

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but what if the invaders teleported inside your ship from one room to anouther, forcing you to scramble your tactical crew to a new location, and kill them before they teleport again.

kingposiedon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kingposiedon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:12 pm

VOCAR:

What I think would be good is that the vocar would be able to do a random hull breach on your ship using there special "Cracking" technology
Why don't you just let me put your brain in a glass bowl i mean its not like the end of the world!
(Only one reported case of fish in a Cortex's glass bowl it touched the brain dead.)