IMPROVE IT: Alien Tactics

If only we could hear you scream in space.
Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Re: IMPROVE IT: Alien Tactics

Post by Zavier » Fri May 31, 2013 7:53 am

I'm working on a way to undo a vote... I need to custom code it but his ideas were good =p

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Cafaling
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign
Location: The Internet, possibly a server building in Florida or California

Post by Cafaling » Fri May 31, 2013 10:54 am

The Avarians have an erratic and unpredictable firing style for shipboard weapons, so I think it only makes sense to implement unpredictability in general as a tactic. Avarians should teleport in with varying numbers at a time, into different areas of the ships, always away from each other. Also, I suggest that their weapons cause a variety of different status effects to your crew: poison, crippling, burning, blindness, and panic.

Antorians are obviously the most varied species at the moment, but they're missing one key element: A DPS unit, perhaps a Heavy Antorian wielding a chain-gun. Fireants might try to fulfill this role, but they're too limited in terms of range, and Heavy Ants act more like a tank with no Cannon, relying on getting up close to crush the opponent.

Vocar remind me a bit of the Covenant from Halo, so I suggest that they have medics in the form of a slave race that they overpowered.

Michael
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by Michael » Fri May 31, 2013 12:13 pm

I up voted myself to negate it. ;)

Have you guys ideas for more possible "on ship quests" like the invisible alien? It could be an easy way (speaking as someone who has no idea how to code a game) to fix some of the "every mission is the same" complaints to throw a bunch of adventure themed galaxy events in. Something like the fureballs that took over Enterprise?

Boomwolf
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Boomwolf » Fri May 31, 2013 5:43 pm

How about an alien that can disguise itself as one of the crew, Ala "The Thing" ? You would need to bring science personal to scan all the other crew members (hopefully the blueshirt isn't an imposter itself!) before it can wander into one of the ships rooms and commit sabotage, maybe setting the shield room or weapons on fire.... Or what if it can actually cut the ships sensors offline, making it impossible to see what's going on inside a room without having a crew member inside? You would have to race to hunt down the doppelgänger before it could do more harm. And to further follow along with the "Thing" theme, what if it could in fact have a small chance of spreading to any crew it can get into melee range?

It wouldn't necessarily even have to be an alien mimic, what if it was a contagious and sentient Virus? Space Pox? Brain parasites?

ThorJw
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by ThorJw » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:45 am

Somehow one of my post went missing :( ...

Anyway, some unit suggestions for the Midorian species !!

MIDORIANS: The peace loving should logically have a strong self-defense force considering that their planet have managed to survived for so long in the HOSTILE and crazy universe. I guess the Midorians VS Vocars relationship can be portrayed as something like the jedi VS the dark side. I hope players would be given a chance to fight them in battle either because of another misunderstanding or cause the players have decided to side with the Vocars.

1) Paladin Midorian: Jedi-equivalent of the Midorians fighters = Melee units equipped with a laser sword/light saber, together with the ability to heal other units and to deflect laser shots with a certain percentage of success (65%??). Something similar to the warrior Vocar class that i mentioned in my first post. At max only 2 Paladins should appear within a given wave of invaders. The Midorian Paladins have the purest of hearts and the mightiest of power, which they use to protect and further the peace loving ideals of their species.

2) Knight Midorian: Armoured Midorians equipped with Mid-range Lance blaster that can double as a melee weapon. The Knights serves and protects the royalties of the Midorian species.

3) Soldier Midorian: Basic Midorian units equipped with a regular blaster. The main fighting power of the midorian self defense force.

4) Soldier Midorian (Shield variance): Basic Midorian units equipped with a force shield to protect those behind them.

ThorJw
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by ThorJw » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:46 am

Why does this keep appearing everytime i talk about the Midorians :( ...

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

STracR
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by STracR » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Zombies: once a crew member is injured by a zombie they turn into a zombie if not treated/healed within a specific amount of time.

Grol: the Grol could "infect" your room upgrades (think Borg) and you lose the functions they provide until the upgrade is repaired by an engineer.

PegLegHeg
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by PegLegHeg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:34 pm

If the ship had a few more tactical options then the Aliens (and the player) could think outside the box more… for example what if you could actually do things from the bridge or engineering… like lock doors, or vent radiation… these would need to be last resort type options, but they could be accomplished pretty easy I think…

Desperate action: Vent radiation from light wave engines into engineering killing everyone there (simple green cloud area effect)

Negative side effect: lose all benefits of engine upgrades for 30 seconds

Desperate action: Open an air lock… sucking things out… and putting out fires…I think that’d work well if fires will be SPREADING with future updates…

Negative Side effect: Weakens hull’s structural integrity leaving several “soft spots” that are only a few points of damage away from breaching… they could vary in size and severity by how long the air lock was open.

Desperate action: detonate a torpedo token… killing all intruders in that area…

Negative Side effect: kills everyone in that area… hull breached…

Desperate action: Overload circuits in a particular room doing severe damage and knocking down any crew working in that room, or any Alien Sapper attempting to interface with that room. (Notice not all the people in this room will be hurt only those “actually working with the circuits”)

Negative Side effect: room is rendered inoperable until repaired…

Desperate action: transporting… I think you should be able to actually transport things… IT should be time consuming and not TOO simple (mini-game; maybe require a token), so that if you are focusing on transporting everyone around your ship, then you aren’t able to be moving tactical officers, making tokens, etc… But it’d be rad to transport a bug into space…

Negative Side effect: time consumption… BUT if you made the process of transporting a mini-game, then if you screw up, its beamed off target… “oops I meant to beam that bug into space Captain… sorry he ended up on the bridge”… or worse yet… “Engineering where is Dr. Smith” “I just beamed him to the bridge as you ordered captain, the transporters show that the transport is complete… isn’t he there?” –concerned looks all around-

These sorts of things would make it feel a little less like a smash em and bash em and more like an outsmart em… maybe there could be “missions” where there isn’t a ship… but there is something on your craft… and you have to take drastic steps to find it and kill it… like a bad case of starship fungus…
Lost in space, and lovin it

PegLegHeg
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by PegLegHeg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:11 am

If the transporter were a mini game it could be similar to the laser cannon game with the dot rotating around a circle. What would be cool would be if:

1. The number of circles with dots spinning is directly related to the number of people / things you are trying to transport. So if you're transporting 1 friendly, then you have 1 circle dot in the mini game. But if you're transporting 4... Then you have four... Which would be much harder to be accurate with.

2. It'd also be cool if your transporter worked by touching the transporter button, then target, then destination, then confirmation. If you did it like that, then you could select individuals or even groups by their call sign.

3. Up grades on the transporter could 1. Slow down the spinning dot. 2. Increase the target area in your mini game. In my minds eye it would be a circle that's green at the very top then yellow further down, and then red at the bottom. Green= accurate. Yellow=missed area slightly. Red = really miss bad. This upgrade would increase the green area.
Lost in space, and lovin it

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:51 am

This thread spiraled out into a new general suggestions thread… the original post was about improving alien tactics and units; it noted using existing races and not having mini-games. Let's stick to something resembling that folks.