IMPROVE IT: Alien Tactics

If only we could hear you scream in space.
Commander Bart
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: IMPROVE IT: Alien Tactics

Post by Commander Bart » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:57 am

I like the idea of adding additional unit types for each race like has been done for the antorians. Instead of going overboard though on making the aliens extremely difficult to fight, maybe have it so each race uses different tactics? Maybe zombies just come in mass amounts to infect as many crew members as possible (i like the idea of them converting killed crew m embers to zombies), trilaxians go for your weapons rooms and disable them or even remove upgrades if left too long, cortex rush your captain since they want his brain, etc.

Also, on other missions where you need to survive for 3 minutes or whatever what if during those three minutes you had objectives? Like when you are trying to charge your engines you need to protect the engine room while waves of aliens try to destroy it.

I think that aliens boarding with a purpose (just maim your crew or destroy specific rooms) would add a lot of depth to their strategies.

BobCheesy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by BobCheesy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:52 pm

I think the Grol should be able to teleport a certain amount of spaces, and also be able to paralyze the crew member for up to 5 seconds. This is because they are so mysterious.
To counter these attacks, the engineers can set up teleporting barriers which stop them from teleporting for 30 seconds (this a a skill that they have). And the paralyzing counter can have two ways, either by dodging the paralyzing ray (40% chance) or medic is healing them while the ray is active (because thats how it works :D )

Zombies should be less easier to kill and if they are left for to long, they start to get aggressive, become faster and stronger (so its in your best interest to kill them as soon as possible). Also if a crew member dies by the hands of a zombie, they turn into a zombie, but a stronger, faster and has more health than the other zombies. This is so the crew members become more important.
I eat evil cheese for breakfast! :D

Do you wish to know what anopisthography is? Well... Ding dong, quack quack, whizz bang... look it up!

Lurkily
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by Lurkily » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Teleporting in beacheads that include a teleporter destination which will continually 'port aliens in until they're destroyed is one option - this would make it critical to respond quickly, and with a weaker alien species, would be an interesting way to make a species both weak and strong all at once.

Another thought is for a technically advanced species to actively disperse to critical systems, which would then be disabled just with their mere presence - they would then focus on ship-to-ship warfare while your systems were disabled. System targets should focus on weapons, shields, dodge drive.

An idea I see here, and like, is having to break out of a brig - pack all the player's into an isolated corner, blocked off by aliens so they can't travel, and have aliens manning your systems during a mission, and require you to retake the ship. But I suspect the original post is looking more for standard AI tweaks for various races in combat, rather than scenario or mission suggestions.

robert2000
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by robert2000 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:10 pm

You should be able to recruit people from other species
Skaterboards : Toymachine. Don't Ask

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:02 am

robert2000 wrote:You should be able to recruit people from other species
You can? You can recruit humans from earth and midorians/yellow spikey guys from the midorian home world.

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

robert2000
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by robert2000 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:21 pm

Other species other than humans or midorians and yellow spikey guys
Skaterboards : Toymachine. Don't Ask

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 am

robert2000 wrote:Other species other than humans or midorians and yellow spikey guys
That's not what your first post said though. The rest of the guys are hostile though I believe. Only maybe the avorians might be neutral

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Lurkily
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by Lurkily » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:33 am

Zavier wrote:
robert2000 wrote:Other species other than humans or midorians and yellow spikey guys
That's not what your first post said though. The rest of the guys are hostile though I believe. Only maybe the avorians might be neutral

-Zavier
I personally have tried to build as multi-cultural a crew as possible. Midorians, humans, Tralaxians, both of the scientists from Lazarus, (new game +,)etc. It's not possible to fully fulfill, though. It DOES bother me that I can't have as diverse a crew as I'd like, even with the crew members gained through the story.

What if there were an outlaw region where you could hire mercenaries, unaffected by any national boundaries? This would provide a plausible reason for being able to recruit races whose governments are hostile.

One of my favorite bits of reasoning in game design is that design should not consider lore. It doesn't matter if the lore contradicts your idea, because as a developer, you can always make the idea fit the lore, or add/modify lore to accept your idea. The developer I picked this up from always worked on the assumption that if gameplay was improved by something, that anything else (Lore, story, etc.) could be made to accept it.

dareapa
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by dareapa » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Zavier wrote:

-Zavier

That seems to be true but you can have an antorian or vocar depending on who you choose to save in one mission involving a space camp. It should be so ething added later on I my opinion depending on race as not all midorians are fighters so should there be others I diferent races that would be willing to join. Maybe a rogue and mercenary planet can be added in a satr system I the future.

Back on topic though, I like some of the things ive read I this thread but I absolutely dislike the idea of my crewmembers beck ing zombies if its irreversible. It takes long enough to level up some cewmembers as it is. Maybe instead have it zombies carry diseases or cause an infection that does damage over time, that your science crew can heal and if your crewmate dies by the hand of a zombie and isnt resurrected then they rize up as a zombie.

dareapa
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by dareapa » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Zavier wrote:

-Zavier

That seems to be true but you can have an antorian or vocar depending on who you choose to save in one mission involving a space camp. It should be something added later on I my opinion depending on race as not all midorians are fighters so should there be others I diferent races that would be willing to join. Maybe a rogue and mercenary planet can be added in a satr system I the future.

Back on topic though, I like some of the things ive read I this thread but I absolutely dislike the idea of my crewmembers becoming zombies if its irreversible and happens with just one touch. It takes long enough to level up some cewmembers as it is. Maybe instead have zombies carry diseases or cause an infection that does damage over time, that your science crew can heal and if your crewmate dies by the hand of a zombie and isnt resurrected then they rize up as a zombie.