Shield segments

If only we could hear you scream in space.
joelfinch
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Shield segments

Post by joelfinch » Thu May 30, 2013 7:51 pm

I would like to see shield segments around the outside of the ship, which can be turned on and off with a tap. The shield generator would produce a certain number of units of shielding, normally enough to shield the whole ship, but dropping off as the generator is damaged. Once there are not enough shield units to cover the whole ship, the player can assign which areas are shielded by turning off shields in one area (freeing up a shield segment) and turning it on in a new place.

This would allow closing hull breaches even during battle, and also tactical use of hull breaches by dropping the shield outside a breach when an alien is passing.

The shield segments would also prevent teleporting into the shielded area of the ship, allowing the player to control to some degree where the invaders appear, at least while they still have enough shields.

This would allow aliens who prefer to teleport over lots of boarding parties to concentrate on taking out the shield generator first, while Engineers try to repair it.

Shield control would require a crew member either in Engineering or on the Bridge.

As the shield generator takes more damage, the shields would fail in oldest-first order - keeping a segment which was turned on recently is favoured over a segment which was turned on a while ago.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Re: Shield segments

Post by Zavier » Fri May 31, 2013 12:22 am

This would be cool for PC... Would be too hard on mobile...

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

joelfinch
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by joelfinch » Fri May 31, 2013 1:09 am

Thanks for the comment. I'm not suggesting shield segments be as small as individual wall pieces - I imagine them about the length of a room, so that around the outer edge of the ship there would be maybe 15 segments. You'd assign a crew member to the bridge and it would then allow a simple tap on / tap off to change them. Tapping them on mobile would be as easy as any other thing we need to tap to play the game.

To me it seems very much in the spirit of the many sci-fi shows that Star Command is inspired by, to be able to concentrate shields fore or aft, prevent beaming, or use emergency force fields to close hull breaches :)

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Fri May 31, 2013 7:52 am

I could see boosting them by the 4 major directions but to have that, the enemy ships would have to be moving around your ship and active

-Zavier

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Fri May 31, 2013 11:24 am

Z is right… without 3D (or even 2D) fighting shield management like this isn't applicable yet. But it would/will be fun when we can, especially if fleets are there too :)

[3D and 2D mean axes of motion here… up/down, left/right, backward/forward]
the only person I represent is Glacian
- cold hearted bastard… in space -

joelfinch
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by joelfinch » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:49 am

Sorry guys, it seems I'm not explaining myself very well.

At the moment, the shields do very little - it's effectively just an extra bar in your ship's health. You take a hit, the shields go down, alien boarding parties begin.

I'm suggesting that rather than the current on/off effect that shields give, they become controllable in more detail, and can be used to close up breaches, and give some limited control over where aliens teleport into your ship.

I think you may be reading my suggestion as more complicated than it actually is. I'm only suggesting a perimeter around the existing ship hull, broken into maybe 15 segments, which stops hull breaches from sucking out crew, and prevents teleporting right next to it.

I'm not suggesting that shields be used to stop ship-to-ship attacks on a specific spot in detail, so it doesn't need to be a 3D thing with the attacking ships zooming around outside or changing position.

I'm imagining that if you wanted to, say, repair the engine room, you could move all your active shield segments around there, to stop crew getting sucked out, and aliens teleporting in there while you're repairing.

Perhaps "force fields" would be a better phrase for this?

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:58 pm

I see what you mean now. I think the ways shields are now makes the most sense to me - stop attacks and prevent boarding - like you typically see in sci-fi. That said, the idea of generating some form of temporary force field to fill a few hull breach tiles (say, from an engineer) while another does repair is intriguing.

Myrddin Starfari
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Myrddin Starfari » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:11 pm

with how I see the shield represented now (that grid shape covering the ship) I do wonder why unless they fail completely we loose crew, surely they'd be floating outside the ship with whatever atmosphere they got sucked out with. of course they're doomed if the shields fail completely, or just going to float there unless someone has a long rope or they've got a jetpack somewhere on their person.

if they're not dead you could use a shield to give them something to stand on to get back into the ship.
Just call me Lord Starfari the mostly Omniscient, almost Omnipotent Protector of the weak, most magnificently über awesome and incredibly modest Overlord of the local group galactic cluster and nearby regions.

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:15 pm

:ugeek:

This wouldn't be the case for a couple reasons:
* they wouldn't be ejected with enough atmosphere to survive an appreciable amount of time
(it would diffuse quickly in a vacuum)
* shields are essentially energy fields, they wouldn't contain atmosphere any differently

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:03 am

Glacian wrote:I see what you mean now. I think the ways shields are now makes the most sense to me - stop attacks and prevent boarding - like you typically see in sci-fi. That said, the idea of generating some form of temporary force field to fill a few hull breach tiles (say, from an engineer) while another does repair is intriguing.
This would work coming from a yellow shirt. The problem with OPs idea is it would be too hard to control and teach a user how to use them. A new skill that pops up a build able shield would work...

-Zavier