Dredd: "You ready? You look ready."

Off-topic discussion unrelated to Star Command.
roguetrooper2
Squaddie
Squaddie

Dredd: "You ready? You look ready."

Post by roguetrooper2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Film: Dredd (2012)
Rating: 8/10 (Action/sci-fi genre/comic genre)
Comments: One of the most genuinely entertaining action movies I've seen in a while: Gets straight to the point. I'd compare it to the very entertaining/watchable/quality go-see-it-at-the-cinema movie: Source Code (equally 8/10) ie for me that's ***** good mark appropriate for it's genre and what it aims to deliver. Really enjoyed. I just watched the last film: The Raid and - I was very bored and disappointed with that movie. It meandered even with the very impressive choreography: There was barely any attempt to have a story or keep the pace going. The comparison is apt as the concept is sorta similar and the reviewers have mentioned this. But for me Dredd worked a treat and imo the reason why was it was an action movie/a comic adaptation and someone in the making of that movie was able to put some arty cinematography and stylization of the plot into it, which really elevated the experience of guns, explosions and piling up body-count!

The 3 (4 if you include Kay!) main performers (2 judges and ma-ma) were all quality for the intended roles. As said the block was much more believable than The Raids and much more interestingly done: Sorta like a future sci-fi dungeon crawler. The thing that made Dredd work was the idea of having a "normal training day = exceptional circumstances treated as normal" ; the training of the rookie angle ; and the combo of different skills of this tag team.

The vision worked a treat too of the future scumbag city of mega-city-1 (I believe it was Jo'burg + ?) Also the slo-mo as part of the story but break-up of action and comparison of perception was again another sweet angle to the film. Definitely a film that exceeded itself.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Re: Dredd: "You ready? You look ready."

Post by Zavier » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:35 am

Gore level = 10... You forgot that is part and my wife is mad at you now...

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

roguetrooper2
Squaddie
Squaddie

Re: Dredd:

Post by roguetrooper2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:20 pm

Zavier wrote:Gore level = 10... You forgot that is part and my wife is mad at you now...

-Zavier
...Judge, Jury AND executioner?! :D

Tbh, it was all "action film gore/violence" - harmless stuff. Much tamer than other genres: "Guards! Guards!"
They may be called the Palace Guard, the City Guard, or the Patrol. Whatever the name, their purpose in any work of heroic fantasy is identical: it is, round about Chapter Three (or ten minutes into the film) to rush into the room, attack the hero one at a time, and be slaughtered. No-one ever asks them if they wanted to. This book is dedicated to those fine men.