Star trek

Off-topic discussion unrelated to Star Command.
robert2000
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Star trek

Post by robert2000 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:54 pm

A new game that is called Star Trek tresses that is almost the same as star command even using pixels
Skaterboards : Toymachine. Don't Ask

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Re: Star trek

Post by Zavier » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:12 pm

I don't even know what this means man...

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

robert2000
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by robert2000 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:44 am

Sorry trexels not tressels and it is kind of the same as star command it could mean some competion for star command and this game has teleporting
Skaterboards : Toymachine. Don't Ask

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:34 am

To be honest, it looks like a shitty time based game. IMO it looks like no real competition right now. Its similar but very simple like most of those games.

-Zavier

Avamander
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Avamander » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:55 pm

The real competitiors are FTL, Spaceteam, Captain Forever and (acient) Starflight series. And for now, all of those in list are little better in some aspects than star command.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:33 am

For now being the key phrase ;). Can't compare PC games to mobile IMO

Avamander
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Avamander » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:00 pm

You can. Only thing that is limiting is graphics. Android version could lack some resource-heavy things but the performance should not be the current issue here for the game to be short and limited.

3kul
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 3kul » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:43 am

I agree with Zavier, if you are going to talk about "real" competition then you need to stick to the same type of game in the same marketplace. FTL is an amazing game but I can't play it on my iPhone at all, so how is it a "real competitor"?

Of the games that you listed, only one is available on phones as far as I am aware, and aside from having a scifi setting Spaceteam does not seem even remotely like Star Command, so I'm not sure why you listed it at all. I could just as easily say that Waking Mars is a "little better in some aspects" than Star Command, but that doesn't necessarily make it a "real competitor".

Talking about what games are 'better', which is your opinion rather than fact, is different to talking about what games are 'competition'. Don't get me wrong, after all this time with no real updates I'd definitely like to see something give Star Command a run for its money, and I'd love to find something similar to play while waiting for the jazzed-up PC version (along with the mobile updates that I'm hoping will follow), but for some reason nobody seems keen to do so in the mobile marketplace.

I'm looking to Halcyon 6 to fill the void but that looks to be quite a ways off... Unless you happen to have a different example of a similar game available for iPhone that you'd care to share with us? :)

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Sadly FTL is on the iPad in a 1:1 content ratio I believe! I will beg to differ in that it is comparable but is open/non-story vs structured/story based so they are different enough. The graphics are also a different style but comparable, tho I'll make the assumption SC requires more graphical powrr. As it has more animated sprites vs static ones and the view point.

I wouldn't say FTL is better but its different and SC is aiming to add a more open random world like FTLs to mobile. I still believe the mobile Devi es can't handle the 1:1 content that the PC version will handle due to a lack of power in the device. The most resource intensive aspects aren't graphic or having more items (static content) but the AI. The more you add to the game the bigger the AI gets and the more power it needs from a device to work properly.

I guess they could do a 1:1 but we'd get laggy as hell intervals as the AI runs through all the options...