Will my Android phone run this?

Technical issues and bugs for the mobile version.
philr1
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Will my Android phone run this?

Post by philr1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:58 am

Hi there,

Saw this listed on google play and apparently it is compatible with my phone but I have my doubts. My phone is Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S5360. Android 2.3.6.

I have got plenty of room on my SD card for the 110mb download but if it tries to download the files to internal memory, there would be a problem. The RAM is pitiful for my phone as well. Something like 200 mb. That is when nothing is running whatsoever.

Any help or advice would be great.

Cheers

philr1
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: Will my Android phone run this?

Post by philr1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:29 am

Ok so i was brave enough to attempt to download game after purchasing it as there are 3 or 4 ratings/reviews on google play store from people who have got same phone as me.

Initial file from google play store which was only 5.16mb downloaded fine. When I tried to open that, it goes to a black screen and i need to force close roughly 5 seconds later. I now have a notification from Star Command app to say it is looking for resources to doqnload. When i click on notification, it takes me back to black screen and crashes. Am on wi-fi as app recommends.

I have got plenty of storage on SD card - 1.2gig. Internal storage is only around 70mb. Have tried deleting any apps etc to get me over 110mb in case file downloads to internal memory but no such luck. RAM ranges from 130mb to around 60mbldepending on what system apps are running. Could this be the issue? My phone is not rooted so cannot stop system apps from reloading again once i close them.

Is there anything I can do to get game working? I have never bothered with refunds so would rather just have opportunity to play the game.

Thanks in advance,

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:50 pm

I can say the game has difficulty running on 1gig of ram let alone 200MB... I will check with the devs but the ram is so small. I would request a refund from Google Play stating you tried to resolve issues with the Dev first but your device is incompatible (from my understanding)

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

philr1
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by philr1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:07 am

Zavier wrote:I can say the game has difficulty running on 1gig of ram let alone 200MB... I will check with the devs but the ram is so small. I would request a refund from Google Play stating you tried to resolve issues with the Dev first but your device is incompatible (from my understanding)

-Zavier
Hi Zavier,
Thanks for the response. Had a feeling it was my phone at fault. I did send an email to tech support Star Command and had no response. I checked via logcat and the error is on cocos2dxactivity.java line 127 which is something to do with resume game.

I asked a friend of mine who develops Android games on google play store and it turns out that Star Command has no filters whatsoever so just as long as you have access to google play store, you can download game. Not a problem if there was a demo for free which SC lacks. Please ask devs to put system requirements & filter out phones the game won't work on please.

Cheers

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:00 am

I'll look into it... The games great but requires a lot of resources sadly =\

-Zavier

philr1
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by philr1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Zavier wrote:I'll look into it... The games great but requires a lot of resources sadly =\

-Zavier
Oh I know the game is great, I have got it on my works Samsung Galaxy S4! I just wanted an opportunity to play game at home. Was shocked it was available to download. I naturally assumed if your phone cannot run the game, it would not show up on google play. It wasn't until my developer friend told me the developer has to filter out phones that I was aware of it.
Even a message in description of game saying you need 1 gig of RAM is better than nothing. At the moment, ANY phone that has access to google play store can download it which is hardly fair considering you have to pay first to try.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Oh I agree bit sadly do not work for them but I am in a position to suggest adding excepts or maybe even blocking the lower end devices. I will see what they can do when I hear back!

-Zavier

philr1
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by philr1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:02 pm

I wasn't expecting you to do anything Zavier! You're the moderator of this forum not tech support. My developer friend also reckons mt phone is 'on the fence' when it comes to cocos2dx. I tested one of his games - Heroes of Steel on google play store and it doesn't work either. I had task manager loaded up at same time as game and that game needs roughly 160mb of free RAM. My phone never stood a chancr with Star Command, did it ;)

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:47 pm

To quote the much loathed Wheelie from the 1984 Transformers movie… "No hope, no hope, no hope at all." :-D
the only person I represent is Glacian
- cold hearted bastard… in space -

philr1
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by philr1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:04 am

Ok so I requested a refund for this game explaining my phone is incompatible with game, google sent reply virtually automatically saying they won't authorise as it's out of the 15 minute refund window. Seen as I have been waiting patiently for an entire week to hear from tech support, what are my options here?

Google suggested if devs are unresponsive (they are), I should contact my network provider to get them to credit my account. As if that will happen.

Not very happy about this to say the least. Not happy at all.