Star Command (Beta - 1.2) Feedback

Technical issues and bugs for the mobile version.
Hootanic
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Star Command (Beta - 1.2) Feedback

Post by Hootanic » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 am

I didn't see a SC Beta thread (or at least I couldn't find one) so I thought I'd start one. I love the game and thanks from making the Beta build available for testing.

So far I'm using 1.20.30 and it's working fairly well considering that it's a beta and there is some missing assets, such as the Fighter Jets bay using the Laser Cannon animation and mini-game and some of the upgrades showing duplicates of a single upgrade for the asset art in the description (like when you do a Healing room upgrade it shows a Spline Reticulator image for all three upgrades). Other than that, everything is fine.

*SPOILER ALERT*
My only negative observation for this build is that after the Battle with Micari's ship on Neptune, my deck fires are out of control and even after I get to Tarsus and have full crew in engineering roles I can't seem to contain the fires. At this point I'll have to reload from an earlier save point and hope that my battle doesn't incur quite so may fires. I can put some fires out, but the time that it takes to put out a fire on one tile, it spreads to two more.

Anyways, that's just some input to consider for future builds - thanks!
"Speculation is foolish when the tools of certainty are available."
—Cinna, vedalken consul

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Re: Star Command (Beta - 1.2) Feedback

Post by stevetranby » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:39 pm

There's definitely a fire spread bug that's causing exponential increase in hull damage. Thanks for the feedback. build 31 should be out soon and will fix many issues with tutorial and the new rooms, but not the out of control fire. Maybe we need to allow upgrade and research 'extinguisher bots' that help with fires, but I think for now we'll address the fundamental fire spreading issue to make it linear and not exponential as well as look into improving the need for high-skill engineers (since our 0-30 skill level currently doesn't provide enough advancement.

As far as beta forum/topic, we actually have a closed forum, but maybe we should open it up now that we're beta testing in public. Right now the process is low-priority w.r.t. development.
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder

Mgzavri
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Mgzavri » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:16 pm

I downloaded build 12031 today and tested it out for about an hour on OS X.

I noticed the following bugs on Black Hole difficulty:
- Crew member name changes didn't stay in some cases and became blank without the possibility to change them.
- Crew members didn't gain new skills even if their level increased.
- I couldn't target specific enemies with my security members
- I wasn't able to hire enough crew members to fill all of the rooms that I had. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. If it was intentional, then good job making this really difficult.
- When I click "X" to change a crew members role, if every other room is full the button for the room they were previously assigned does show it as available.
- The fire expanding was awesome. It killed me a few times, but it was awesome! Also... I had four engineers working on a single fire and it wouldn't go out.
- For the Science (blue) rooms, the upgrades only have one image, e.g. all three options look the same, but when you click them they are the right stat boost.

Things I liked:
- The dog poop took me a while to realize and when I did I laughed.
- I'm excited about the new rooms.
- I like that the effectivity of every room goes down when you remove people from bridge and engineering. I'm not sure if that was in the last mobile update, but I really enjoyed it. It was tactically challenging.
- The new weapon rooms sound cool and I'm excited to see what they look like when more developed. Currently, I'm not sure how they are really that much better than the current rooms in terms of strength.

Things I'd like to see:
- Mass return to stations. Multiple times I wanted to click all of my people and send them all back to their stations. This would be been great instead of tediously picking each crew member and sending them back.
- Special captain skills, possibly some kind of morale booster that provides a temporary buff to members within a certain radius.

I hope this helps. I look forward to future builds.
Last edited by Mgzavri on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Post by stevetranby » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Thanks again so much for testing and the bug report, will look into them for the next build. The not enough crew is intentional. Not sure if it's the best way to increase difficulty though? We will at least revisit that for the future. The TextField UI elements are wonky at the moment, we are in progress of upgrading it to an improved element but need to work out a few things. No skill is strange, wonder if it's blackhole specific (difficulty modifier might be making the increment effectively zero), we'll look into this.

Glad you were able to test it out as a few people had crashes so I took it down and will push up a 12032. Only changes in this one are arrow keys are as fast to pan as WASD. Tutorial for hiring crew config fixed so working.We'll have to play test the fire expanding. I also like how it is, but I don't want it to be impossible to "repair". Maybe the instant repair skill will need to be used more heavily.

We have the idea of RED/YELLOW/GREEN "alert" where red->everyone to their stations, yellow->?? maybe auto repair ship (only allowed out of battle ??, and green-> everyone walks around out of their stations (maybe chats with others, etc). I really want a mass return as well so if anything will look into a UI for that specific functionality, and maybe figure out how to use and tie it to the alert (or mass action, instead of alert) system.

We've seen the ideas around AOE buffs that captain or high skill crew can provide. These are easy to implement (like heal), but we probably will still discuss and deliberate over how to best add them. I really want to make skill level useful, harder to level up, and make it so it's more consequence when high level crew when lost. In our free roam mode we currently have skill points as a resource that are dropped as rewards and you can add the 1 or 2 skill points to add a skill level on a crew of your choice. More when we release the "test" channel builds (we'll then have a "for release" beta build, and a "testing/sandbox/prototype" build).

Hootanic
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Hootanic » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:25 am

What's the best way to send a bug report. Should I do it in the developer options for my Android device? For the latest build 1.2.31 it loads, but it closes out when trying to resume a the last saved game. Trying to load an earlier save it will load and run for a minute or two and then close out. I'm using CM 10.2 on a Motorola XT897, if that helps, but I think the bug report would be better.
"Speculation is foolish when the tools of certainty are available."
—Cinna, vedalken consul

NickMc14
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by NickMc14 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:56 am

I would like to know how to join the beta testing for star command on IOS devices? Can someone help? :D

starcommandfan
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by starcommandfan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:44 pm

I'm with him. ^

I like girls.

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Post by stevetranby » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Should be the next day, or the next, or soon ... jk, I'll post a link here and elsewhere tomorrow.

starcommandfan
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by starcommandfan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks so much!!!

I like girls.

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Post by stevetranby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:11 am

Here's the sign up. We're still looking it over before sending it out. Nothing fancy.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1mAVsl7 ... =send_form