Bug: turrets disappear on save-load

Technical issues and bugs for the mobile version.
lolmaus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Bug: turrets disappear on save-load

Post by lolmaus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:22 am

Placing turrets strategically is very burdensome. It takes my like 5 minutes and is more like unpleasant work rather than entertaining game.

The worst thing is that when i load a game, turrets disappear! My engineers are still there maintaining turrets but turrets are gone. :(

I decided to replace my turret room with a grenade room until you resolve this unfortunate issue.

PS Android

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Re: Bug: turrets disappear on save-load

Post by stevetranby » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:41 am

As they exist now they are designed to use more as an extra help during a single fight (to allow engineers to help in on-ship fighting). Your feedback is noted however for discussion. The engineers used to not even repair them, so they were originally "2 min"
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder

lolmaus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by lolmaus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:54 am

You should also be aware that currently the game allows you setting up a large number of turrets. Before running out of patience to reinstall turrents after game load (which i had to do frequently due to crashes), i had two clusters of "four turrets + one engineer" each, placed in corridor intersections. That was a great assistance against intruders.

The funny thing is that engineers constantly gain experience when supporting turrets. I collected all my engineers around turrents and had my phone switched on overnight. When i woke up, all engineers had maximum levels.

Before you remove this loophole, please consider that micromanaging combat crew is the most burdensome part of the gameplay, and turret clusters was a huge relief for me that made the gameplay actually enjoyable. Also, i consider single turrets be too weak against a group of intruders.

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Post by stevetranby » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:06 am

Noted. Will discuss with design team.
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:25 am

lolmaus wrote:...micromanaging combat crew is the most burdensome part of the gameplay...
Yes, much in the same way that moving all those tiresome pieces around a chess board is the most burdensome part of chess.

That's the game, man. That's the point of the game: managing your guys during a fight. Otherwise you're just watching a cartoon.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:59 am

Harlock wrote:
lolmaus wrote:...micromanaging combat crew is the most burdensome part of the gameplay...
Yes, much in the same way that moving all those tiresome pieces around a chess board is the most burdensome part of chess.

That's the game, man. That's the point of the game: managing your guys during a fight. Otherwise you're just watching a cartoon.
We should find some way to... Automate it. I want to just press a button and have them move for me to the spots I want them in.

Jokes aside... Turrets need to be fixed ad they weren't really intended to be massed produced like that! The timer might have to come back...

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

lolmaus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by lolmaus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:00 am

Harlock wrote:

Chess is a great example! In chess, you focus on tactics. Moving pieces is absolutely effortless and does not distract you from thinking.

Imagine a game of chess where moving pieces is hard, requires a lot of effort and concentration. Pieces slip out of your fingers; go to positions where you don't want them to; if another piece stands close to the one you want to move, you are unable to grip it, even though the move is legal; etc.

In such a game of chess, you'll waste your mental energy and attention into actually moving pieces and will be unable to plan your strategy. You'll never have time to collect your thoughts because you'll be constantly distracted by burdensome pieces movement. Worst of all, a player of such a game will constantly feel stress and irritation.

So Star Command developers should ask themselves a question: do they want Star Command to be a game of tactics or micromanagement.

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:20 pm

lolmaus wrote:So Star Command developers should ask themselves a question: do they want Star Command to be a game of tactics or micromanagement.
You somehow managed to completely miss my point. This is a micromanagement game, not a tactics game.

lolmaus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by lolmaus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Harlock wrote:You somehow managed to completely miss my point. This is a micromanagement game, not a tactics game.
Why did you compare it to chess then? :/

If Star Command a micromanagement game, i suggest disabling crew firing at intruders automatically. Oblige the player to tap an officer for him to make every shot. Oh, and then player should tap a target. Two taps per shot, now THAT's fun!

Also, it is too tactical to let your crew operate modules as if they embodied sentient beings. If large modules are unable to produce grenades/medkits/turrets without player's intervention, how can those impudent officers reload weapons and recharge shields on their own? Make the user tap for every reloading! Make him draw circles over the main engineer module to actuate shield recharging!

And repairs? You just send an engineer and he automatically repairs everything around him — nonsense! Are we playing a game or just watching a cartoon? There's too much time for the player to idle, have him play a connect-the-pipes mini game to do every repair!

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:12 am

lolmaus wrote: Why did you compare it to chess then? :/

If Star Command a micromanagement game, i suggest disabling crew firing at intruders automatically. Oblige the player to tap an officer for him to make every shot. Oh, and then player should tap a target. Two taps per shot, now THAT's fun!

Also, it is too tactical to let your crew operate modules as if they embodied sentient beings. If large modules are unable to produce grenades/medkits/turrets without player's intervention, how can those impudent officers reload weapons and recharge shields on their own? Make the user tap for every reloading! Make him draw circles over the main engineer module to actuate shield recharging!

And repairs? You just send an engineer and he automatically repairs everything around him — nonsense! Are we playing a game or just watching a cartoon? There's too much time for the player to idle, have him play a connect-the-pipes mini game to do every repair!

Thanks for playing. Have fun doing something else.