Share your best kept space secrets!
Harlock
Chief
Chief

Re: New Player Tips

Post by Harlock » Wed May 08, 2013 8:00 am

chami wrote:
...like in FTL.
Man, I'm seeing a lot of this! News flash, folks: this game isn't FTL. You can tell by the fact that it says "Star Command" on the title screen.

I've also noticed that not a single member of my crew has had to jump over any rolling barrels during any mission.

Because this game isn't Donkey Kong either.

Alexthemonster
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Alexthemonster » Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 am

Level Grinding

I am now halfway through Black Hole difficulty, got to carry over all 12 of my crew from my ship on Heavy difficulty, and none of my crew have even gotten close to dying because of this strategy. Also all 12 of my crew have level 30 proficiency in all 3 disciplines.

First, the easiest crew to level is your medical crew. let one of your tactical stand in fire and surround him with all the medical crew you can manage. after about 30 minutes or so, you should have lvl 30 on everyone. From here you can change room assignments so that every crew member is level 30 science.

More time consuming is Red and Yellow leveling. I would advise getting all the rooms you can get first because you will need to make a lot of tokens for this. Simply put, generate tokens, delete said tokens and then make them again. every other token will give you a level in that discipline.

All the while you can be ship leveling. I'd advise re-playing the two planets beside earth (I forgot their names) over and over again. You will get two tokens from the Dreadnaught and one from the Scout but they are easy fights even on black hole difficulty.

The only true way to be a master star commander is to have fully upgraded every room and have leveled up all your officers.

P.s. if you are debating between the grenade room, the medical room, and the sentry room (you only get 2), go with the medical and sentry. the grenades in this game are severely underpowered. they only do about 1/3 health bar damage to antorian default MOBs. not to mention that the explosion scatters them (think crew getting hit and the big knock back that results).Plus I've lost one medic in my career but could bring her back with a revive token. also the sentry room turns your engineers into tactical crew. its badass as hell.

In terms of room order, get a gun room (your preference), A dodge generator, a sheild room, the second gun room, NOW do upgrades on your existing rooms. Now build your Sentry and Medical wing. More Upgrading then get the healing room to tie it all together.

Best of luck. I hope you become as successful as I have with these simple tips.

chami
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by chami » Wed May 08, 2013 9:27 am

Harlock wrote:
chami wrote:
...like in FTL.
Man, I'm seeing a lot of this! News flash, folks: this game isn't FTL. You can tell by the fact that it says "Star Command" on the title screen.

I've also noticed that not a single member of my crew has had to jump over any rolling barrels during any mission.

Because this game isn't Donkey Kong either.
I put that in there in case people coming from FTL might be used to those mechanics. There's no need to be overly defensive.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Wed May 08, 2013 9:27 am

Nice tips guys, I will update the thread tonight when Simon my PC ;)

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

pupspals
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by pupspals » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Alexthemonster wrote:P.s. if you are debating between the grenade room, the medical room, and the sentry room (you only get 2), go with the medical and sentry. the grenades in this game are severely underpowered. they only do about 1/3 health bar damage to antorian default MOBs. not to mention that the explosion scatters them (think crew getting hit and the big knock back that results).Plus I've lost one medic in my career but could bring her back with a revive token. also the sentry room turns your engineers into tactical crew. its badass as hell.
Ahhh... thanks for this. I haven't been playing the medical room yet figuring I'd need the grenades for when the badies beam aboard.

My trick that's so far been good (although cowardly & doesn't help level up) is to stick the captain in the healing room before a fight. that way if the captain takes damage then they're getting healed at the same time. a slight safety net against loosing the game (currently on hard).

what would you guys say are the most important upgrades? I've been leaning towards anything that helps the shields. Had a guy get blown out a hull breach before I got those upgraded in time...