New Player Tips

Share your best kept space secrets!
Jurionx
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: New Player Tips

Post by Jurionx » Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 pm

kia001 wrote:Okay, couple of questions.

I've just finished a first campaign and got to the NG+.
Are there any other ships besides the first one and the three you unlock after clearing the campaign?
Would the new game+ be basically the same only with tougher enemies, or are there new missions?
Also sort of related to the last question - unused planets and unused slots for character proficiencies past 30 - are they placeholders for future updates, or are they unlocked on the higher difficulty levels?
Same question here, realized that there were plenty of unexplored planets after the first run through. Although I do appreciate the additional options for rooms and ship design! :D

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu May 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Its the same set of missions for now with more coming (hopefully) soon. You do gain access to the 3 new ships and 3 new rooms. The difficulty does ramp up quite a bit too.

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Ikmalmn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ikmalmn » Thu May 02, 2013 5:59 pm

My tips for today....

-Always and always read the dialogue because it may have very very important information that you need

-Every race is different in every way..(damage) the Grol is by far most powerful of them all with absurdly lot of health and fires a deadly laserz that damages you for 20+

-Think of what decision that would be the best and always think what would happen if you do that...

-Always....ALWAYS....ALWAYS keep you high level safe and secured or you shall regret that

*transmison ended*

Duronx2
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Duronx2 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 pm

Game feels incomplete IMO, missing talents in skills past level "30", missing tutorial text and help hints.. But what is there is AMAZING! I cannot wait for more!

My tip, grind as much as possible, I haven't got last the second mission and my captain is 31, I've done the zombie mission twice now. And build ammo before transport...

machstem
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by machstem » Sun May 05, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm 10mins into the first battle with the laser cannon, I just can't get the grasp of it. Frustrating since I haven't been able to get a single shot on. It's a pain to have to wait, please make this an optional mini-game. I was more into the idea of exploration and sandbox.

I played with the plasma cannon mini-game and found that one to be the easiest...the 3 rotating circle crap is just annoying. Please give an option to remove it, or change the mini-game to something less frustrating.

Also, this game seriously needs a pause option to deploy your units, make your decisions and then watch it play out.

The token and weapon recharge + manually clicking to add token into inventory is just an annoyance as well. I try not to compare games, but FTL had it right. Follow some of their guidelines without sticking to their formula. Kind of like everyone giving you the simple options in FPS games, but everyone alternates some of the features that are included. The fundamentals should stay the same though...mini-games just aren't my forte I guess...I like the simulation aspect of these games and I find all the additional stuff to be gimmics.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Sun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Duronx2 wrote:Game feels incomplete IMO, missing talents in skills past level "30", missing tutorial text and help hints.. But what is there is AMAZING! I cannot wait for more!

My tip, grind as much as possible, I haven't got last the second mission and my captain is 31, I've done the zombie mission twice now. And build ammo before transport...
You are able to beat all difficulty modes without having to grind, even black hole... strategy works best!
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Atreyu
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Atreyu » Sun May 05, 2013 8:25 pm

best tip is to build all your ammo / dodge tokens before you go to the next stage

LordGideon
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by LordGideon » Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 am

When you start a new game, put in two weapon emplacements FIRST. Trust me - you can never have too many guns! :)
"From hell's heart, I stab at thee!" - Khan, Star Trek II

Mountainking
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Mountainking » Mon May 06, 2013 10:10 am

-Make sure your token rooms are always producing

-Make sure your ready weapons aren't sitting idle - it's important to stay on the offense even when you're being swarmed

-Keep an eye on the enemy weapon/invasion bar! you might not need to dodge a hit if they don't have a boarding party ready, take the hit and shield boost afterwards instead. you can dodge the next hit and make the boarding party wait a little longer. this buys you more time in between invasions to build tokens, repair, heal, and attack.

-Keep your ears open. The sound will let you know if you're about to get hit or boarded. This will give you time to dodge, or to pre-emptively move your tactical units to where the invasion is going to occur.

chami
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by chami » Wed May 08, 2013 7:49 am

The most important tip for new players:

Your ship does not have health. This means that you can get your ship turned into swiss cheese, and as long as your captain and any essential crew members aren't dead, you're still in the game. This also means that you can make the game easy and more boring than it already is by getting four blueshirts, two engineers, and turn the rest of your crew into redshirts and split them up evenly into your two weapons rooms. Barring an unlucky hull breach in your weapons room, nothing will be able to beat you - until they patch it out.

If you don't want to do the above, this means that you don't need to repair hull breaches or put out fires unless they endanger your crew. You don't run out of oxygen nor do fires spread like in FTL. Keeping hull breaches near important rooms that people aren't going to leave anyway (weapons rooms) or near spots where the enemy beams in can trivialize enemy boarders by spacing them as soon as they appear. You can always save repairs for when the battle is done and your shields are back up.