New Player Tips

Share your best kept space secrets!
Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

New Player Tips

Post by Zavier » Wed May 01, 2013 11:55 pm

With the launch of Star Command, I thought it would be a good idea to post a few tips and tricks. Feel free to post your own tips and tricks!
  • The game has a learning curve - we wanted it that way, you should explore and your going to make mistakes.
  • This isn't angry birds (a reference to how you have to learn more then swiping your finger back ;) )
  • It's recommended start with the Laser Cannon for your first weapon, it has consistent damage and the mini-game is pretty easy.
  • Some weapons or rooms require "Tokens" or Ammo. To make these, you must have one person current assigned to the room AND in the room. Rooms that require these special tokens will have both an "Ammo" and "Info" button.
  • When your shields are above the (red/yellow) line (about half way), they will prevent air from escaping and pulling crew out of a hull breach!
  • You can repair the shields but occupying a blue room or using the boost from the shield generator.
  • There are current 3 different main weapons, each with a unique game:
    • Laser Cannon - Press each targeting retinal when the moving circle hits the top red circle.
    • Plasma Torpedo - Match the horizontal and vertical lines individually so they intersect in the circles.
    • Machine Gun - tap the screen each time the moving circle enters one of 3/4 stationary circles. (Might have to pre click as it gets faster as it might lag due to your device)
  • Each color shirt has different actions
    • Black - This is the Captain of you ship. He can be assigned to any other room and will still be black. He can not die or you will lose.
    • Grey - Crew with grey shirts do not have any room assigned to them. They need to be assigned to a room to be of any help. Consider them helpless citizens until you assign them a task.
    • Red - Tactical crew fight invading aliens with their laser guns and also command the large ship-to-ship weapons.
    • Blue - Science crew help heal the members of you team (they do not heal invaders or other non-crew on your ship). When in their room, they ensure the shields recharge, if slowly.
    • Yellow - Engineering crew can extinguish fires and repair holes in the hull. Be careful during battle if the shields are down else they will get sucked into space. They can also set attack sentries on larger ships.
  • Double tapping a token will automatically move it when hiring crew or making a room/upgrade.
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Snownova
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: New Player Tips

Post by Snownova » Thu May 02, 2013 3:43 am

Great tips, though you might want to post it in the Guides and Tips forum.

Xaphos
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Xaphos » Thu May 02, 2013 6:15 am

These are great :) ill be using them

huberttat
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by huberttat » Thu May 02, 2013 9:13 am

wanna know is stationing a crew in the bridge actually have any kinds of effect??
Bcoz i usually just pull all the bridge crew out to due with the intruders and completely ignore the bridge

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu May 02, 2013 9:44 am

huberttat wrote:wanna know is stationing a crew in the bridge actually have any kinds of effect??
Bcoz i usually just pull all the bridge crew out to due with the intruders and completely ignore the bridge
They are your mobile alien Rear kicking squad. The bridge doesn't need to be occupied as it stands right now.

If you upgrade it, those red shirts get a bonus to their damage, crit chance I believe.

-Zavier

kia001
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by kia001 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:35 am

Zavier wrote:
huberttat wrote:wanna know is stationing a crew in the bridge actually have any kinds of effect??
They are your mobile alien Rear kicking squad. The bridge doesn't need to be occupied as it stands right now.

If you upgrade it, those red shirts get a bonus to their damage, crit chance I believe.

-Zavier
Same deal with the engine I assume?

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 am

Pretty much! They make great mobile crew for repairing fires/hull breaches so the dodge room or weapons rooms can be fully manned.

-Zavier

chami
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by chami » Thu May 02, 2013 12:54 pm

The engine room controls shield recharge rate, right? IIRC my shields weren't recharging when my engines were damaged. Also, what effect does having one crew member vs. two crew members have on rooms like the dodge room, shield boost, armory, and torpedo rooms? Does it make them recharge faster, generate tokens faster, both, or neither?

kia001
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by kia001 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Okay, couple of questions.

I've just finished a first campaign and got to the NG+.
Are there any other ships besides the first one and the three you unlock after clearing the campaign?
Would the new game+ be basically the same only with tougher enemies, or are there new missions?
Also sort of related to the last question - unused planets and unused slots for character proficiencies past 30 - are they placeholders for future updates, or are they unlocked on the higher difficulty levels?

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu May 02, 2013 12:59 pm

Yes to faster everything and blue rooms recharge shields, medical, healing and shield room but only when occupied.
kia001 wrote:Okay, couple of questions.

I've just finished a first campaign and got to the NG+.
Are there any other ships besides the first one and the three you unlock after clearing the campaign?
Would the new game+ be basically the same only with tougher enemies, or are there new missions?
Also sort of related to the last question - unused planets and unused slots for character proficiencies past 30 - are they placeholders for future updates, or are they unlocked on the higher difficulty levels?
Just 4 ships for now.
Same campaign, a lot harder difficulty
They are for future updates.

-Zavier