[Official] Star Command Wiki

Share your best kept space secrets!
Cafaling
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign
Location: The Internet, possibly a server building in Florida or California

Re: Star Command Wiki

Post by Cafaling » Tue May 21, 2013 12:42 pm

XidanePayne wrote:I was going to edit Gorrn character page, but thought that you'd like to do it instead :lol: ....so i left it untouched.
Ah, ok, I'll work on that instead, thanks!
"I think I did this right..."

Help the wiki!: http://starcommand.wikia.com

XidanePayne
Chief
Chief

Post by XidanePayne » Tue May 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Cafaling wrote:
XidanePayne wrote:I was going to edit Gorrn character page, but thought that you'd like to do it instead :lol: ....so i left it untouched.
Ah, ok, I'll work on that instead, thanks!
Actually, i don't know what to do, so i left all the character pages to you. But if you want me to edit a page or two, i'll assist you with that.

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Wed May 22, 2013 8:02 am

Guys we need to put a lid on the fan-made content that's getting added to the wiki and stick with only the official information gleaned from the game... Otherwise it's just a SC fanfic repository.

Cafaling
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign
Location: The Internet, possibly a server building in Florida or California

Post by Cafaling » Wed May 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Harlock wrote:Guys we need to put a lid on the fan-made content that's getting added to the wiki and stick with only the official information gleaned from the game... Otherwise it's just a SC fanfic repository.
Fanmade content? you mean some of the pictures? I can't think of any text articles that are fan made content.
"I think I did this right..."

Help the wiki!: http://starcommand.wikia.com

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Thu May 23, 2013 6:01 am

I'm talking about text--items made up by the person editing rather than being specifically mentioned in the game or something that can be clearly inferred from dialog in the game.

One of the worst examples: some earlier version of the Vocar page had them listed as "False Knights/Dark Templars."

WTF? That's not in the game. Not in the game = shouldn't be in the wiki.

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Thu May 23, 2013 7:08 am

Hey Zavier, all of the links on the http://starcommand.wikia.com/wiki/Media ... navigation need the [[ ]] brackets... I would fix it but I'm not allowed.

And the new look is MUCH better--glad you got rid of that awful background. Can you update the http://starcommand.wikia.com/wiki/Wiki_Content page with the same look?

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu May 23, 2013 7:13 am

Harlock wrote:I'm talking about text--items made up by the person editing rather than being specifically mentioned in the game or something that can be clearly inferred from dialog in the game.

One of the worst examples: some earlier version of the Vocar page had them listed as "False Knights/Dark Templars."

WTF? That's not in the game. Not in the game = shouldn't be in the wiki.
That wasn't us but the original guy in August posting that. Everything should be better now!
Harlock wrote:Hey Zavier, all of the links on the http://starcommand.wikia.com/wiki/Media ... navigation need the [[ ]] brackets... I would fix it but I'm not allowed.

And the new look is MUCH better--glad you got rid of that awful background. Can you update the http://starcommand.wikia.com/wiki/Wiki_Content page with the same look?
Can do! They worked on my PC with out them though?

You need to refresh you cache before that one will update. Its a site wide design.

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Thu May 23, 2013 7:39 am

Zavier wrote:That wasn't us but the original guy in August posting that. Everything should be better now!
That's not the only item—and not the most recent. Things like referring to Gorrn as 'Fleet Admiral Gorrn' when he's never referred to in-game as such (but he is "Admiral of the Midorian Central Fleet"—straight out of the game dialog—so why not call him that instead?).

Speaking of Gorrn: he was also referred to earlier as 'King Gorrn' and Saark's father—he's neither of those either.

Other things: Cortex listed as being a 'ruthless hive-mind.' A hive-mind is one consciousness spread over many individual bodies. Our second meeting with Kooolok shows that individual Cortex retain their previous personalitiesNOT a hive-mind. The game (or any other published materials that I've seen, blog posts, trailers, etc...) never says anything about a hive-mind so why was that even there?

If we stick to what's pulled straight from the game we can't go wrong.
Last edited by Harlock on Thu May 23, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Thu May 23, 2013 7:48 am

Zavier wrote:You need to refresh you cache before that one will update. Its a site wide design.
That worked! Weird that it's the only page that didn't update without clearing cache though...

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu May 23, 2013 8:08 am

Harlock wrote:
Zavier wrote:That wasn't us but the original guy in August posting that. Everything should be better now!
That's not the only item—and not the most recent. Things like referring to Gorrn as 'Fleet Admiral Gorrn' when he's never referred to in-game as such (but he is "Admiral of the Midorian Central Fleet"—straight out of the game dialog—so why not call him that instead?).

Speaking of Gorrn: he was also referred to earlier as 'King Gorrn' and Saark's father—he's neither of those either.

Other things: Cortex listed as being a 'ruthless hive-mind.' A hive-mind is one consciousness spread over many individual bodies. Our second meeting with Kooolok shows that individual Cortex retain their previous personalitiesNOT a hive-mind. The game (or any other published materials that I've seen, blog posts, trailers, etc...) never says anything about a hive-mind so why was that even there?

If we stick to what's pulled straight from the game we can't go wrong.
For the Gorrn being the Fleet Admiral... That would be an acceptable title. Things can be inferred from the text.

Saying he was "Admiral of the Midorian Central Fleet" and calling him a Fleet Admiral is okay. A=B B=C A=C its alright ;)

A lot of the other info was pulled in from the previous pages and just copied and pasted. It needed to be reviewed which we did. I am still going through each page myself to find these errors but it takes time

Harlock wrote:
Zavier wrote:You need to refresh you cache before that one will update. Its a site wide design.
That worked! Weird that it's the only page that didn't update without clearing cache though...
It happened to my home page on chrome. It does it to your most viewed wikia page for some reason.

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon