Kickstarter Science Alpha Bugs and Suggestions

Got Issues with S.C.I.E.N.C.E? S.C.I.E.N.C.E being a little Buggy?
Einhander
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Kickstarter Science Alpha Bugs and Suggestions

Post by Einhander » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:52 pm

First Let me be the first to say that I am pleased with this little tid-bit of fun.
Even though this is a bare bones alpha it shows great promise for future content.

Bugs:
-When selecting/placing ship objects the placement outline remains in random spots where the mouse was prior to object placement.
-Doors sometimes merge with walls or other objects (kinda cool looking at the same time)
-Objects sometimes refuse to be deleted such as doors or lights
-Laser object likes to eat walls (When placed next to a wall it either becomes part of the wall or just takes it place).
-Rotating doors sometimes breaks the object (Missing one side entirely).

Suggestions:
-Instead of having lights take up a set amount of room on the ship why not have them be part of the wall and shine lights in the direction of the floor? (So a specific wall tile that is a wall and a light put together.) This would also free up room on small ships.
-A floor tool similar to the wall tool for mass filling.
-A basic pre-built fully functional ship in the loads so that users can see what they need for a working ship.
-A checklist in the GUI of required ship components (Light up when object is absent and greyed out when placed)
-Wall tool with the ability to place "half-walls"
-Object requirements or abilities in the GUI
-If energy/power is a constant resource to control for the ship then add a power bar of remaining or needed
-Segregation of race ship components so that players can easily find ship components for specific races
-If beds/food is a requirement for a specific amount of crew in the GUI then state total number of crew capable of serving on the ship.
-A scroll bar that gradually makes walls invisible so that players can place items behind them.
-Scroll bar to make objects invisible
-Reduce the size certain objects take to place such as lights (In my mind they should only be 1 tile)
-For standard templates create a predefined space where the user can only build (So they don't make the ship larger than the actual template they are using).
-Instead of the player rotating to get specific tiles have all the tile variations in the selectable menu.
-Remove duplicate tiles in selection menus (Wall tile duplicates).
-Auto form walls (when placing tiles like wall that need to mesh with others we need a way to ensure they "pop" together, this will also reduce the chances of getting "funky" walls which don't match the rest of the ship).
-Test mode for created ships which would place the newly designed ship in a scenario to logically test its game play value from just a simple function test all the way to a under extreme circumstance combat scenario "kobayashi maru".

That's all I have for now but expect more in the future. Also if anyone has suggestions or bugs please just slap them in here with mine so that the forums don't turn into a large hot mess.
Last edited by Einhander on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Re: Kickstarter Science Alpha Bugs and Suggestions

Post by Zavier » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:54 pm

Trying using the load button to load in a preset ship. It has the basic ship exterior and the interior finished.

Otherwise, great ideas!
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Einhander
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Einhander » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Yeah I figured that out after the fact, but hey were all human.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:36 pm

Aye, I'm posting a quick overview of S.C.I.E.N.C.E. that loads in a template

blackraider
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by blackraider » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Well, played for some minutes. This looks so goood :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After teleport my two security members to the planet surface I'm unable to move it more than three squares in each direction (shaded in blue). After teleport back to the ship the game appears to start again but only with four security members and no medic nor engineer.

Keep the good work.

Cheers. Blackraider.

gkozlyk
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by gkozlyk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Here are the following bugs I've found so far:

1. Editing your ship is possible during the save dialog (mouse editing should be disabled)

2. Rotating items only rotates them 2 of 4 ways.

3. When you direct a guy to lay on the bed, he lays down beside the bed on the floor.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:55 pm

Items have 2 faces or directions they will go. There are no back sides I believe and is intended.

sgtbluefire
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by sgtbluefire » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:21 am

an undo button would be nice, was trying to place a light and my cat jumped up on the keyboard and i place like 12 lights. would be nice to have an undo and a redo button.

andromeda
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by andromeda » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:38 am

how are you able to look inside the interior? im sorry if this is a stupid question.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:19 pm

There is a slider bar on the top, I posted a video at some point on how to use SCIENCE