How to play?

For PC related issues or bugs.
Myranda
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

How to play?

Post by Myranda » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:33 am

Downloaded on the PC... what are the commands on how to move people around and do things??

I installed it and have 2 crew members just standing around.

Einhander
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: How to play?

Post by Einhander » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:46 am

A lot of people are having this issue (including me) and Warballon is currently working on it.

indi
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by indi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 pm

I dont even have any crew members :(

Edit - Its a know issue on PC apparently been resolved for MAC.

jackmcc
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by jackmcc » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:42 pm

Cross post from here: forum.starcommandgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1126

jpcoombs
Developer
Developer

Post by jpcoombs » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:19 am

To explain our lack of a tutorial I want to cover some of the overarching goals of Galaxies.

1. Language free - we know we can't be completely language free, but one of our major goals is to move away from linear, pre-written stories. We felt like this was a major flaw in the original game; once you played through all the stories there wasn't a high replay value. So we look at titles like The Sims, Sim City 4, Mario and aim to teach you the game by playing the game. If it works the game will be fairly elegant and intuitive. That said, NONE of that is working right now. You can see a bit of it right now with the thought bubbles, but our desires system is really the area where this flows from. Your crew members will "desire" to unbox all your equipment, then they will desire to go down to a planet and explore because they have cabin fever, desire meeting a trader because you have lots of goods on your ship. You don't have to do these things and you can make your crew desire other things by simply traveling around the galaxy, but as a whole desires should really help inform what your next steps are.

2. Story free - like we said above, we don't want to spoon feed the story. We aren't gonna say "Crew 1 and Crew 2 are best friends" - that should happen naturally in your game. You will find your own nemesis captains, people you trade with and, hopefully, fill in a lot of the story in your own head. We always loved this about X-com - you started to build a story about your squad even though nothing was actually being told to you.

So all of that said, the thing we are looking at is what is the most confusing. At the moment we understand just about everything is, but instead of putting up a tutorial telling you exactly what to do we want to fix the core of the problem - why is it confusing. The next build, coming out in mid january, will have FESS (Food, Energy, Social, Stress) which is the central gameplay mechanic and core loop of the game. Back to problems with the original, you and your crew were always ready for battle. There was no tension. You would get in a skirmish, repair your ship, and then go the next battle ready to go. In Galaxies we want it to be strategic in nature - 2 of your best crew are injured, another one hasn't slept but an Antorian battleship is moving in on a space station you trade at. Your ship is in a hobbled state but you can't afford to lose that Space Station. That's a lot of fun, dynamic story telling along with interesting choices for you to make as Captain. Who is gonna be in the battle? Can you just scare of the Antorians? Is there another alternative? In order for that to work, your crew needs to not always be in tip-top shape ready for battle.

So - we are listening, but our solution isn't going to just be a "Alright, step 1 is to build stuff. You do it like this..." We will go for what is confusing, and try and explain it through the natural mechanics of the game.

That said, please keep telling us what you find to be confusing or, more importantly, what you would LIKE to do. We know the obvious ones like "blow up an alien ship" but what would you want to do with the tools currently at hand.

Hopefully that explains the lack of "How to Play" - we want the game to explain itself.
Founder, Warballoon
www.starcommandgame.com
@starcommandgame

Wintersong
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Wintersong » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:39 am

I'd prefer to have the tutorial to be an option instead of forced into the beginning of each playthrough. Or optional tutorial windows.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:44 am

I'll be posting some guides on the forum for those seeking a more traditional tutorial.
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

trip5o
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by trip5o » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Well, I can't do a single thing with this Alpha. I'm on PC with Windows 7. When I try to get crew members into the telaporter they start shooting it instead. When I try to unpack equipment the selected item just disappears when I try to place it. There is not a tutorial that explains simple commands. I understand not wanting to hand hold players through the game, but at least tell us how in the heck to play it!

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:39 pm

Still working on some! I was gone over the holiday and won't be home for a few days still =\
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon