Monochrome Mode (and Maroon Square) Mysteries

Mac and Linux related issues or bugs.
Travis Knight
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Monochrome Mode (and Maroon Square) Mysteries

Post by Travis Knight » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Hey, technical question/bug.

First: I can't play the game. I'm on a 2013 Macbook Pro, using the most recently-available SC:G download. Here's the thing: When I boot up, it loads fine and well, but when I try to right click on an item, the game goes monochrome (and deposits a maroon square set of tiles) somewhere nearby. I don't know what those are, or why I'm in monochrome mode. The monochrome won't go away unless I tell that character to move again. There's no explanation, and since everything else seems to freeze, I'm interpreting it as a bug.

Does the Window's version have anymore information in the game? With literally nothing to go on, I'm sort of baffled about how to actually...play...this.

Help would be much appreciated.

Travis

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Re: Monochrome Mode (and Maroon Square) Mysteries

Post by Zavier » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Are you clicking on the refrigerator? Does the game give you an error when loading/unzipping? It looks like you are missing some assests and are clicking on a container
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Ossicone
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Ossicone » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:55 am

I've had the same issue.

No error when unzipping the file.

I get the monochrome mode when I have a person selected and right click on the fridge. The same happens when I right click on a person and then click on the box above their head.

Also, when I push esc a black box with only the word 'exit' appears.

EDIT: Re-downloaded and still having the same issues.

jackmcc
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by jackmcc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:30 am

I'm getting this too - I thought it was just the Alpha. Going to test on in a Windows VM and see if it's the same there.

Travis Knight
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Travis Knight » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:56 am

Howdy Zavier,

I did not get an error while unzipping the game or anything like that. The game is otherwise running fine--and continues to run fine, once I tell the individual character to move away from it.

The process by which the bug is obtained:

Left click any character>right click on an item (be it the food pellet thing, the teleporters, the boxes on lower left)>monochrome mode and random maroon square appears.

To get out of monochrome mode: left click on that same character>right click on any free tile to have them move away.

While in monochrome mode, all other characters can be moved, but the monochrome mode stays.

I do hope it gets fixed. I'm so excited to play this thing for real.

Thanks!

Travis Knight
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Travis Knight » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:38 am

Howdy,

I deleted and re-unzipped the archive, rebooted, and encountered the same few errors. Also, I got a bit further than before, and was promptly annihalated by Antorians on the surface. I don't think my characters are capable of firing back? Anyway, monochrome mode and the maroon squares make a re-appearance on the surface:

Same mode of obtaining them. Note that the medic is colored, the other two are not.

justincoombs21
Developer
Developer

Post by justincoombs21 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:22 pm

This grey is an 'invetory mode' Thte reason it exists is we thought that the player would have too much info on the screen otherwise.

First fix? You might be able to exit 'inventory' by pressing 'I' on the keyboard

Second fix? Click other objects on screen, or try and unclick the crewmember

THIRD FIX: This could be also a techincal bug in our code - there is a possiblity SOME files, with long filepaths are failing to isntall on some systems. We are surprised that this doesnt kill the program altogether, but it doesnt. SO - we are working on this, and you should try downloading the latest version of the alpha as we tried to fix the long filenames bug with 'tape and wood' and a more permanent fix is a medium term priroty.

Thatnks for playing!

also -

Character AI for firing back is failing if two or more enemies are in range - sorry this is a bug.

sgtbluefire
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by sgtbluefire » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:07 pm

I tried to unbox the box and something came out! but when i tried to place it, it vanished and I hit the "i" but the whole thing turned gray like everyone else has been saying. I hit "i" again but nothing happened. I tried selecting other things and characters, but nothing happened...

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:27 am

The boxes have items you need to place down in them. Pressing "I" makes it disappear (bug). If you click again in a good area, it should place a food dispenser item
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

sgtbluefire
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by sgtbluefire » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:51 am

Zavier wrote:The boxes have items you need to place down in them. Pressing "I" makes it disappear (bug). If you click again in a good area, it should place a food dispenser item
you wouldn't happen to have a rough ETA on the fix for this bug do you? I know its little close to Christmas and what not but the Dev dont have anything planned, right? they have time to fix it, right? LOL :lol: jk jk, but seriously, do we have an ETA on a fix?