Crew Customisation

If only we could hear you scream in space, now on PC!
harthind
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Crew Customisation

Post by harthind » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:06 am

Now I know that in star command you can already change your crews name (well at least in the mobile version), but what if, and I'm not trying to bash your tastes, one may not want Red, Blue and Gold Uniforms. What if I want a Purple, Green and Brown scheme?

OK, what I'm trying to say is that It would be lovely to select what colour each crew division gets. It would also be great to be able to acquire various uniforms variations on ones adventures to planets, for example varying types helmets or clothing, maybe some might enhance stats.

Someone has already suggested that one should be able to recolour doors, but I'd like to take that one step further and include the rest of the ship as well.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Re: Crew Customisation

Post by Zavier » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:54 am

The colors represent where they work. Each one is unique that way but I believe a set of emblishments to their uniform to make them more unique would be cool.

I would hate if they allowed us to change their colors on a whim... I can just see the posts...

"why don't my purple guys do X"
"The green shirts aren't working"
"Why won't my yellow crew repair (after I change blue to yellow and red to blue and yellow red defaults!)"
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

harthind
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by harthind » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Yes, I can understand that player stupidity can be a worry about the suggestion, but if there could be another indicator such as a little marker over their heads when you select them like a spanner for engis, etc, etc. . .

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Post by stevetranby » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I prefer to have assignments easily scannable, and the primary colors help, so don't expect anything to change in the default out of box experience for either Galaxies or Mobile, but it's something we'll discuss. We do have new uniforms coming in both games, but they'll be either single color scheme specific to a task or will use the same primary color scheme for the time being.

Since Galaxies allows modding capabilities it's possible that in the future someone will be able to make a set of assets and scripts that allow for different color schemes, but not currently, and I can't guarantee anything.

For mobile we are looking at ways to improve the game for the color impaired after the next update, as well as to allow us to color anything with palette maps then maybe we can look into using an alternative means for recognizing assignment types.

* fun fact: we did discuss replacing one primary color with a secondary, or all three, to differentiate from [unnamed TV series] :)
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder

THEREALJEML
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by THEREALJEML » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:55 am

Maybe not like a full on change of clothes but maybe just maybe like put a hat on your crew just to make them more happy or something (also you could have the accessories give bonuses to the crew
JEML Productions= Fun game and really entertaining I give it a 11/10

Star Command Galaxies Alpha 6 gameplay
https://youtu.be/zYu6N17rEzA

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Post by stevetranby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:50 am

Hats, Eye patches, separate hair from body/head, skin/hair color, and more are planned for the original mobile game. I would guess that Galaxies will allow any or a reasonable number of layers for the character that can be modded.
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder

LHGrave
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by LHGrave » Fri May 01, 2015 3:24 pm

What about unique skins or specialized units? I was kinda thinking of the pet idea, where it has a specific role, would there be a possibility of unique creatures that could serve as a specialized crew member? Or just a full sprite switch for a special visual while retaining the same abilities?

An example would be, say you wanna remake Futurama on your ship. In order to get your own bender, could you purchase a robot as a crew member? Could you give your medical person a zoidberg sprite swap as a sort of costume? (Obviously can't use Zoidberg as he's copyrighted, but idea stands) Or say you wanted Lur or one of the amazons, could there be a plus sized beast that could fill a sort of security role, or are there only "humanish" based characters?

Obviously the base crew mechanics and so on come first and all this would be just bonuses but I was curious as to just how far you hoped crew set ups to go. Or even if you weren't planning on having rancors in the storage room if that would be modable in theory... noting I have never modded before, just curious.

THEREALJEML
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by THEREALJEML » Fri May 01, 2015 4:08 pm

It would be cool I know but it would only work when the game is finished like an add on (in my point of view)
JEML Productions= Fun game and really entertaining I give it a 11/10

Star Command Galaxies Alpha 6 gameplay
https://youtu.be/zYu6N17rEzA

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Mon May 04, 2015 9:56 am

I think his idea is more of a mod or 3rd party add on. You can create your own unique characters from the different pieces but a default non customizable skin would be so limiting!
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon