Cool Idea for dealing with hull breaches (space suits)

If only we could hear you scream in space, now on PC!
londez
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Cool Idea for dealing with hull breaches (space suits)

Post by londez » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:22 pm

One thing I thought was really cool about the mobile version of Star Command was the danger of having your crew or enemies sucked out of a hull breach. While cool, I'm guessing that this mechanic wouldn't work well in Galaxies. The ships and crew are so much smalle, you could easilly lose half your crew from a single hull breach. This would probably take the game past the realm of challenging players and into the realm of frustration and displeasure.

Still though, it seems kinda silly to watch your crew walk around normally while there's a big gaping hole in the side of the ship, and it would be cool and challenging to add some kind of unique way of dealing with hull breaches. My solution: EVA suits with magnetic boots. As soon as their is hull breach, every crewmember with an EVA suit in their inventory automatically puts it on (I know, not super realistic. It would take a good amount of time to put on a real space suit, but this just one of those times that gameplay would trump realism), and the crew who don't have EVA suits get sucked out.

That idea alone may add an interesting/fun dynamic to the game.

stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Re: Cool Idea for dealing with hull breaches (space suits)

Post by stevetranby » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:50 pm

We actually have Gravity Boots (magnetic boots) in our latest beta version of the mobile game. We have plans to update the app store versions next month.

Both hull breaches and gravity boots will be coming to Galaxies eventually. This may be this year, next year, or a community mod. The support for these features are on the wish list and will be tested every so often as we try to figure out how to best achieve the effects of a hull breach vacuum without making it too powerful. We've tested a couple variations and haven't found the right balance yet to even put it in the alpha for testing. I'd love to see it earlier than later, but who knows when.
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder