Alpha 5

General discussion for SC:Galaxies!
HoffA
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Alpha 5

Post by HoffA » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:23 am

Any idea when this will be ready? I joined when Alpha 4 came out is there a way to get Alpha 3 to play since Alpha 4 was so limited?

justincoombs21
Developer
Developer

Re: Alpha 5

Post by justincoombs21 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:07 pm

Alpha 5 is coming really soon, and it is a big big update. Maybe in 1 week or two.

Tacitus
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by Tacitus » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:01 pm

What a wonderful thing to read.
All I know is this Lo-Pan character comes out of nowhere...while his buddies are flying around on wires cuttin' everybody to shreds and he just stands there, waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him with light coming out of his mouth?

Tater
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Tater » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 am

I CANT WAIT
Last edited by Tater on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

SyriusM
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by SyriusM » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:10 pm

cool :) but ;> please, release it on next weekend :D I know that not possible cause of attack of space kraken or so... I believe you guys you are working hard but I think is quite fair to show alpha backers regulary what you did . Isn't it? ;)
I'm curios as ferret... or something worse... err just really bad.

Game is going really cool in that way what I've seen in alpha 4
Many new stuff, waterworks like shadows, semi sims system, ... bugs :lol: it's always happen :) nothing to ashamed for

My first post (ever?) Crossed english with blahdiblah thing... I'm not good on that.
But I'm not going to be sorry :P just tryin to do my best

HoffA
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by HoffA » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:05 am

Hopefully it will come soon. I can't wait to play.

DrKreap
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by DrKreap » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Any chance we can get an update on how alpha 5 is going? Thanks

HoffA
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by HoffA » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:06 am

It's been almost three weeks any idea on release date for Alpha 5?

AngerFork
Developer
Developer

Post by AngerFork » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:38 am

First of all, apologies for the delay on Alpha 5, everyone. I know you all have been waiting very patiently, and it has been quite some time since Alpha 4. Although I do not have a release date at this point, allow me to at least try to explain part of the delay and perhaps at least give you sort of any idea as to why we've been so delayed.

In the feedback we've gotten from Alpha 4, there were several very common threads. Among the most popular were:
- The gameplay (nav, combat, etc) is extremely confusing, and the tutorial doesn't really help all that much.
- Certain buttons will/won't function at certain times, and it's not clear why.
- Why can't I purchase ships or hire crew, especially when the website mentions ship building and mod support?
- There's not much of anything to do in game, and it's not clear how to progress.
- The humor of the Star Command universe doesn't really come through in Galaxies.
- So...many...bugs!

Alpha 5 is our attempt to fix each of these issues. First of all, gameplay. We've redone all of the in-game systems to make them better to use. As an example, Nav used to require someone to use the console, thenyou'd have to choose your destination, then wait for the timer to count down before you could travel. Very confusing, and way too many steps for a simple process. Now, Nav is accessible anytime through the top bar, and you can set your location from there. Using the console is optional, but it reduces the amount of power it takes to travel to another node, meaning there's a good reason to use it as appropriate.

Along with this, we've also completely redone the GUI to reflect these changes. The new UI is somewhat sleeker and better separated, so you can look in specific sections to find your ship, enemy ships/stations/planets, whichever crew member is currently selected, etc. We've also added several animations to help better show what happens for each system, so you can have a better idea what you are doing.

Bugs have been fixed, content has been added (including new features not yet discussed here), with the entire purpose to make Galaxies feel far more like the game it should be. Our Facebook page has pictures of many of our new features and design styles, and there is a lot more that I'm not even covering here.

TL;DR version - Sorry for the delay, but we're working to ensure that Alpha 5 is well more than worth the wait.

tszhin814
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by tszhin814 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:42 am

Thank you for working so hard!