Star Command is Hiring - Writer

Official News and Announcements from the team.
Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Star Command is Hiring - Writer

Post by Zavier » Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 pm

We Need a Contract Writer!

Star Command needs a writer!

Are you a wordsmith? Does your mastery of the wordly arts exceed that of Asimov? Then we want you!

We are gearing up for some a lot of new content and we need a writer to improve the crappy prose that we compose. If you have what it takes, write a 400 word write-up (NO MORE!) of the following:

The Vocar Purification

The Vocar have been detected moving into Midorian space and are destroying ships at random. They have made no formal declaration of war and their intentions remain a mystery. All communications between the Vocar and Star Command have been severed. It is up to your crew to get to the bottom of this mystery.

We would like to see your treatment of this scenario. What does that mean? You show us! It should probably include the following

• Brief premise of what the scenario will introduce and what the player will have to do to solve the problem.

• Mission ideas (these can be short write-ups). We will be looking for sensitivity to the confines of the game engine. “There is a huge armada sized battle going on around the player” is probably outside of the scope of our current game. That said, we would like to see original ideas and things that push the envelope and challenge us. We definitely get tunnel vision working on our own game.

• Dialog examples. With this we need to see two things. First, that you understand our balance of “humor” and world building. The game isn’t too serious but there is a nice balance. The second is sensitivity to player patience. No one likes to read diatribes - lets get to the point!

• World building. Show us that this expands our universe, plants seeds for cool stuff and makes the product better overall.

Write-ups are due no later than SATURDAY, MAY 11th, 8:00pm EST.

E-mail all 400 word submissions to: starcommandwriter@gmail.com

YES THIS IS PAID. We believe in paying artists. If possible, please submit typical contract rates.

http://blog.starcommandgame.com/post/50 ... act-writer

-Z
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Spacemarine658
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: Star Command is Hiring - Writer

Post by Spacemarine658 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:08 am

Hey is this still going on? If so I'd like to try

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:17 pm

You should contact them directly, you don't need permission to try ;)

kingposiedon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kingposiedon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:49 pm

It would be interseting for the game to have better written missions

Spacemarine658
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Spacemarine658 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:03 am

I never got a pm reply lol I'd love to write for them I'm writing my own book and if you guys want I could post some from it

Harlock
Chief
Chief

Post by Harlock » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:15 am

Is your book going to have periods at the ends of sentences?

Spacemarine658
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Spacemarine658 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:14 am

This parts kinda mushy but it sets up the relationship between two characters.

Part 1: A Time to Love

Chapter 1 - Forgiven

Tiffany

Viktor didn't look anything like she expected. It had been nearly 5 years since they had broken up, but here they were, once again, back in the courtroom. Why this time? Over the fur coat she was wearing. He was claiming it had belonged to his mother, and he wanted it back. Oh, Viktor was such a horrible liar, yet those icy blue eyes of his always seemed to stun the person he was speaking to into believing them! Like she had those many nights ago...
“Tiff, you’re the only girl for me, you know that, right?” Viktor’s voice cracked with emotion, and those same icy eyes stared into hers. She knew what he was seeing, her same heart shaped face, the cheeks possibly flushed from the harsh words she had just spilled to him. Her eyes were watery, as always, the normal blue turning into a rich topaz as she stared back at him. Her mind was rushing a mile a minute, and as she tried brushing her flimsy blond hair away from her face he caught her hand and held it firm ,yet gently in his own.
“Please.” He begged. “Please, please believe me. I would never cheat on you. You’re the only one for me, babe.” He brought his hand gently to her face, cupping her cheek in his palm and turning her head to face him. She tried to resist, yet failing, of course, at his smooth touch.
“Just let it go, Vik. I saw you, with Jessica. You can’t lie to me. I can’t believe you would do this to me, to us. After so many years together, and you go with my best friend? I don’t know if I could ever forgive you.” She tore her hand from his and took a step back, her face flushed again as the tears spilled from her face. She saw everything go flashing through her mind once again, the sight of her beloved boyfriend of over 10 years, kissing her beloved best friend since elementary. She couldn’t stand the sight of him, and stormed out of the room, barely hearing his protests behind her as she stormed out into the dark.
The harsh sound of the mallet hitting the judges’ stand brought her back to where she was, unfortunately. She turned back to face Judge Wilson, ready to defend herself. If only she hadn’t worn this stupid fur coat to her friends’ party last night, none of this would have happened. Of course, she hadn’t of had known he was going to be there as well. She dared a peek across the room at Viktor, and looking down, noticed his hands were slightly shaking. Nerves? Who knew, she thought. Oh well. Time to get back to business. She cleared her throat, and stepped up near the judge, and began telling her story.

Viktor

God, she was beautiful. 5 years hadn’t changed a thing of her beauty, Viktor thought sadly. Glancing up at her as she told her story to the judge, about how she had only gone to the party last night on her own, deciding to wear the fur coat she had gone and bought just the night before, and about how he had stormed up to her and demanded to see her in court the next day about it, claiming it was his mother’s. Ok, he admitted it. It wasn’t his mother’s. He just needed an excuse to see her again, as she had been avoiding her for years. Yet her beauty still hadn’t changed one bit. He could feel his hands start to shake, and quickly shoved them into the pockets of his worn out blazer. What had gone wrong those many nights before? He tried to recall it...
“Why, Vik. Why?” Tiffany’s voice was still solid and strong, even though he could see it in her eyes that she wanted to cry, to scream, to do something, rather than believe what she had seen earlier. He hadn’t meant to, at all, but she wouldn’t listen. He had gone out with her friend Jessica, wanting to know what to get her for their 10 year anniversary, and suddenly Jessica had thrown herself onto him, kissing him. He was too stunned to do anything, except push her off and stormed away to tell Tiffany about it, not knowing she had been right there the whole time.
“Please baby, you know you’re the only girl for me. Please, just listen.” Viktor tried to explain, but he could see she wasn’t listening. He stumbled over his words, and finally quit when she turned away. He tried not to cry as he gently grabbed at her hand, squeezing it gently and rubbing her cheek in the other. The pain he felt through his chest was too much to bear as Tiffany ripped herself away from him and stormed out into the dark night.
Tiffany, who had always been afraid of the dark, after her parents had gotten into such a terrible fight one night and the only sound, was the loud bang of the gun as her father brought her mother first down, then, went with her as well. Viktor had always understood Tiffany’s fear, and had been next to her every night, keeping the lamp on if she requested it. He walked over to the door, gazing out into the night, hearing nothing besides the crickets. With a small sob, he shut the door, possibly the worst mistake of his life.
Viktor shook himself out of his repeating nightmare, and brought himself back into the courtroom. What was he to say? He stole a look at Tiffany, and wished he was able to run to her and take her in his arms. The years had been harsh on her. She had a few more wrinkles on her forehead, making it look as if she was always frowning, which it looked like she tended to do a lot of lately. Her hands were softly shaking, and he could’ve sworn he saw a small tear escape from the corner of her eye as she turned and walked out of the courtroom, finished with her story, and dismissed. It was his turn now.
He walked slowly to the judges’ podium, his eyes on the floor to try to hide the tears streaming through. He stopped, resting his hand on the podiums side, taking a few deep breaths.
“Judge Wilson, I drop all charges. Please tell Ms. Tiffany I was mistaken, and I am deeply sorry for the trouble I have caused her.” With that, Viktor walked slowly out of the room, wishing he could go back in time, to hold his true love in his arms again without fear of being hurt...

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Spacemarine658 wrote:Hey is this still going on? If so I'd like to try
It is not. They have hired 2 writers and are working on more content as we speak ;)

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon