IMPROVE IT: Ship-to-Ship Battles

Official News and Announcements from the team.
Jeffers
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: IMPROVE IT: Ship-to-Ship Battles

Post by Jeffers » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:50 am

Boarding/teleportation: Keep boarding parties. Add more options to repel boarding parties. Add option to counter board to destroy/capture an enemy ship from within. Create a teleportation pad option for a room.

Armory change: creating an armory should allow you to assign tactical members(red shirts) to be posted on a patrol route you assign. Or simply positioned as a sentry.

Gun Control: keep some form of a brief mini game that determines number of hits/misses.

palenoue
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by palenoue » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Have different ways of repelling attackers. If there are different aliens then they should have different strengths and weaknesses. Do the fire extinguishers clog their air filters, or does it make their beam weapons extra zappy? You have to try to find out. Ever play Awful Green Things from Outer Space? http://www.sjgames.com/awfulgreen/

Also, why does every group of aliens who beam aboard have to be violent? Can't they challenge your crew to a dance off? Play games of chance? Try to sell you hand-made souvenirs? Throw a party that your crew has to survive (don't fall asleep, they have space markers) Or maybe they're just hitchhiking and brought their own towels.

NosTek
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by NosTek » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:19 am

[quote="palenoue"]

Also, why does every group of aliens who beam aboard have to be violent? Can't they challenge your crew to a dance off? Play games of chance? Try to sell you hand-made souvenirs? Throw a party that your crew has to survive (don't fall asleep, they have space markers) Or maybe they're just hitchhiking and brought their own towels.[/quote]

It would be awesome to have friendly alien visits from time to time!

weegee
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by weegee » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:52 pm

You could simply give the ability to aim precisely at different ship parts. Depending on gunner skill levels you will hit or slightly miss selected area. Break a hull with a good shot and get some enemy crew members sucked out into space. But you'll probably need to make crew members either irreplaceable or respawning to keep the wave wechanics mostly untouched. New meat bags can arrive from somewhere inside the ship or teleport. Or if you want to keep everything simpler, they can just be stunned for a while. Hit a weapon and enemy will need to fix it. Hit an armory and it will explode like nothing else on the ship, dealing more damage and fire then the usual hit, and player can lose grenade tokens. Hit a sentry room and all sentry tokens are lost or sentry turrets are disabled until it's fixed. Hit an engine to make ship's chances to evade lower or to increase your shooting accuracy.

You could probably add a teleport facility which actually teleports player and enemy away teams. In this case enemy will need to assemble some troops in teleport room and if you're lucky enough to hit that swarm then intruders will invade already damaged.

In other words enemy ship should be somewhat equivalent to player's, to make some tactics viable. They probably already are if we're talking about away teams.

Player will also wan't to fire all weapons simultaneously to instantly deal more damage and cause more chaos on the enemy ship to disrupt it's operations rather then just constantly shooting weapons as soon as they are reloaded.

Finally you can simply remove those minigames altogether (that would be super awesome) and just allow weapons to miss ships with dodge generators simply increasing the chance to avoid a hit.

Also consider aborting intrusion if shields are charged enough. That would give the shield booster a much greater value, and you don't even need to recharge the whole shield, maybe some part of it, depending on crew level. Currently there's almost no way to avoid intrusion, as soon as your shields are down you're in trouble.

And torpedo launcher shouldn't produce and require any tokens to shoot, why don't you just give it a longer recharge interval instead?

bandw2
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by bandw2 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:44 pm

this is all comign from someone who bought the andriod version through humble bundle and then is using an emulator to play it on his desktop PC.

tbh, my feeling is that in a more strategic version of this game which will be required for a successful PC port, the enemy ship needs to actually be an entity with finite resources just like you, and shouldn't be able to do anything that you can't. AKA, my impression from me just getting the andriod version is the enemy ships are all giant blobs that are 1/3 guns, 1/3 teleporters and 1/3 cloning pods. the immersion just drops dramatically when your being swarmed by soldiers and they're still firing at you well, when their HP suggests at least compared to your own ship that most if not all of their ship must be on fire by now.

The game should take some ques from what FTL did right, and look at anything that melds with the game well. in it's current state this game just shouldn't be a computer game.

problems design wise that should be fixed for PC versions are, Lack of AI on you or the enemy side, where currently you are basically just managing resources as constant pressure is placed upon you, in a PC version your going to want an enemy that feels like he's trying to attack valueable resources, secondly, you own troops should be a bit smarter and automate more like engineers putting out fires in the same rooms as themselves.

there should be multiple ways of taking out enemy ships, and possibly a token reward for doing it a specific way, like a tac token for boarding an enemy ship and killing their crew, and engi token for destroying the enemies bridge, and a sci token for crippling the ship.

in general i REALLY want to be able to board enemy ships, when they boarded me i was like cool, then when i realized i was just being pressured and that i didn't really have an proactive ability to use my own troops, i just got bored(pun not intended) with that whole aspect.

the gun minigames are nice and all but also shouldn't just be rock paper scissors, they should have specific effects when used in certain ways, or else at least there needs to be a reason to not just constantly fire with all your weapons like you do now. aiming at certain systems would do this, like an EMP gun could take down that ships sections, or a torpedo causing a breach.

for my opinion on how damage is should be done, you should look at Space Station 13. i don't mean you should have to wire your ship or anything, but the ship should vacuum out, and floor tiles should be able to breach like wall tiles where you'll need enginers in hardsuits to tackle them, and you'll need tac in hardsuits to defend them probably.

SO I MAKE THIS ABSOLUTELY CLEAR, YOU CAN NOT JUST MAKE THIS THE SAME GAME WITH A NEW UI.
this is going to go from a mobile game, to a sit at home and play to have fun game, it needs to be deep enough so that you can sit there and get immersed, and shallow enough that you can complete the scope on a decent budget.
but if you make it deep enough on the PC you could charge much more than you do for the mobile versions.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:41 am

These are all nice ideas guys. Keep them coming!

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Crazyalien
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Crazyalien » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:00 am

produno wrote:Being able to seal off areas enableing you to vent to atmosphere would be cool. Blast doors could be an upgrade path, if you have a spreading fire, you can seal the blast door and vent the area loosing everyone inside and rendering the room/s useless untill repaired. This means you could even seal off areas thats been breached to stop your crew wandering in front of the area of effect and getting sucked into infinity.
And what if we have a life support room that you could target so you could destroy their life support meaning you could just suffocate their crew and be able to sell their ship.
Last edited by Crazyalien on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crazyalien
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Crazyalien » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:05 am

(Continue on) you would have to destroy their shields and most of their hull first otherwise it would just be to easy

OrangeJulz
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by OrangeJulz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:30 pm

How about we put in small fighter spaceship in the ship itself. These can be upgraded for a higher survivability rate for pilots (but i feel like only one can be upgraded at a time. Meaning upgrades doesnt apply to all fighter ships. These should include pilots that you need to hire. And so that it doesnt seem too overpowering. If the hangar or room that contains these ships are destroyed due to enemy attack then all the ships are destroyed. Doesn't really need to be a hangar. It could be like a room that looks like a control center. I don't know if this is what you are trying to look for, but I'm just trying to throw in ideas.

Hyomoto
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Hyomoto » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:24 pm

I recommend changing the way you interact with your crew. Instead of telling them where to stand, you should be able to give them orders and priorities and have them fulfill those as best they can. Selecting multiple crew members would allow you to create 'teams' that will work together to handle situations.

For instance, a group of Antorians beam in. Instead of telling four individual officers to make their way near the intruders in hopes they can attack them (with the frustrating, arguably sloppy touch controls), you simply drag a box around four tactical officers and give them a 'security' order and off they go to hunt the intruders. In the case of multiple teams beaming aboard, you could assign a priority to one, and once dispatched, they automatically head to handle the other one. The same could be said for damage, in which engineers can be given rooms to prioritize but otherwise attempt to repair the ship on their own.

Either that or a pause button. I know the game pauses when you select a character, but that's terrible. The touch controls are so abhorrently sloppy and unreliable you have to zoom in a decent amount to have any semblance of accuracy and it often requires scrolling back and forth to get three or four officers to go places you need them. Being able to pause and issue orders to a bunch of crew members at once would be a highly welcome addition. Its a case of 'forced difficulty', the game being harder simply because its annoying to interact with.

I also recommend making the ships smaller. I'm not sure what the point in making the passageways all five and six blocks was, but the game would run smoother with hallways of three and four. Your crew could move faster, you could zoom in further while retaining a wider view of the ship and the hull wouldn't look so empty.