IMPROVE IT: Ship-to-Ship Battles

Official News and Announcements from the team.
Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Re: IMPROVE IT: Ship-to-Ship Battles

Post by Zavier » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:08 am

Glacian wrote:You forgot to ask for a pony too.
I believe you meant space whale, but we'll let this pass this one time.

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

jabba
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by jabba » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Following that line I wanted to add something . I saw somewhere someone talking about a rock paper scissor system. I was thinking since there is 3 kind of weapons maybe there should be 3 kind of defenses: hull, armor and shield. Each weapon would be stronger on one kind and weaker on another one. For exemple machine guns would be weak against shield but very strong agaisnt hull, etc. It would put another layer of variety to attack.
Another point is i was reading people asking for some kind of wild cards. I was thinking that a wild card could be some sort of a special attack. The special attack would be a combination and simultaneous attack of 2 weapons or more. Let's say your machine gun is ready but you wait for your laser gun to charge so both fire at the same time. ( special made available while upgrading your weapon rooms with tokens lets say). The attack would trigger a new mini-game with both weapons combine. The result of this attack, depending on which weapons you combine together(two machine guns +20% on hull dmg for example), would be either a dmg bonus or a disturbance on the enemy ship ( freeze unable to avoid attacks or unable to charge weapon or shield for a couple seconds etc).

Oh another thing that could be nice is in case of failure in the mini-game. It could back fire at you and your system could overload for couple seconds or one of your gun room get a little fire etc..

I don't know, i like the rock paper scissor system and i think it would be easy way to add it i think. The armor addition would come with a new room of course, which is always nice.

What do you think?

xprimntl
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by xprimntl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Add a DROID room where engineers build robot dog with laser eyes and explosive poo poo. :oops:

ALECOS
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by ALECOS » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Alright i have been thinking about this alot and i know it may sound redundant at first but if you add a system to invade enemy ships id imagine they would have a ton of people defending just judging on the amount of troops they can send and they have such fast energy regen. Now if your like me and you quickly get all the upgrades and capacity on the ship but still have extra whiteshirts i think there should be a unofficial throwaway combat class like a real redshirt or marine. Because undoubtedly you want to create a strategic way to combat on a enemy ship and balance your forces and choose if you want to board or not but most of the current combat system is blobbing and skill management so i dont see a real way to send all my precious tac officers into the breach and most likely be completely outnumbered. I think this class should have a auto set skill level and cannot go up or down and have a high DPS but low health so you can keep up with numbers but maybe send like a tac officer or two to lead a small group of these "greenshirts maybe?" so you still have to manage and be smart about them but they are overall buffers and throwaways. I get that the fun is being hopelessly outnumbered but i dont want to send four of my best guys to die and keep having low leveled tac officers. Either that or let us hire some equivalent to the Brute maybe? Because it will add more variety then just sit there and shoot with a pistol or engineer turrets you can get some fast decent DPS marine buffers with a rifle or something and then a Brute who just goes in and rips and shreds. SO if anything it just adds more variety to the 3 tac officers and engineer turret and a science officer running around everywhere. and with Boarding Parties in the mix you would really have to plan your actions carefully do you hunker down and hope to beat them from a defensible position and take tons of ship damage or do you take the action to them and leave yourself half- or completely unguarded? Besides we people who have beat the game a million times can only buy crew i have like 6 white shirts and all my rooms are full. Also another possible way is just create more room space at tac buildings but i like the idea of some variety and throwaways :D

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:13 pm

This idea plus not an endless supply of crew to teleport over would be awesome...

Keep it coming guys! The devs do still read this!

-Zavier

bgpitts
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by bgpitts » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:33 am

This idea plus not an endless supply of crew to teleport over would be awesome

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:00 pm

bgpitts wrote:This idea plus not an endless supply of crew to teleport over would be awesome
Wouldn't it be better if one side didnt have endless crew, so battles were more balanced? Might be a good idea iykwim....

-Zavier

justincoombs21
Developer
Developer

Post by justincoombs21 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:31 pm

So here is a WORK IN PROGRESS of some ideas we are working on as part of an overall push on mobile.

The final product could not be ike this - but just wanted to show we read the forums and love your guys feedback and amazing ideas.

kronolight
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by kronolight » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:34 am

Thanks for sharing

talonshoop
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by talonshoop » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Naval ship, and eventual starship battle, is based on maneuvering not just blow-for-blow laser fire. To add to your combat system you could have more specific abilities and caveats to add a level strategy based on maneuvering and targeting.
The foundation of this will be built on targeted combat. In other words ships have week points; some ships are more heavily armored up front or on the sides. Your ships engineers will need to conduct scans before and during battles to locate these weakness. If your bridge engineers engineer identifies weak side of an enemy ship you can order your gunners to focus on those points, however they will be harder to hit within your mini-games.
This creates two new dynamics to an already amazing game. First, players will need to make sure all rooms are completely manned including the bridge. A captain cannot properly perform targeting and maneuvering if his tactical officers and navigators are off fighting Russian zombies. So the bridge will need to be outfitted with stations.
Second, now you can add new game mechanics based on this one new addition:
1. Targeted attacks: “just disable them…” – when you initiate an attack, before the player is given the minigame screen, allow the player to select a target on the enemy ship. As the battle progresses more targets will become available as the enemy ship weakens or the player’s engineers/tactical officers (assuming the player has shrewdly and strategically staffed their ship with a proper and well trained crew) work to identify and exploit weaknesses.
a. You can add missions where the player only needs to damage the enemy ship not simply destroy it.
b. Now keeping your ship manned is not just good for boarding but also of ship contact
2. Customized Tactics: “The ‘Your Name Here’ Maneuver –In addition to standard attack and defense maneuvers you could build in a special maneuver meter that would allow for unique tactical additions. The player could add these maneuvers during upgrade points in the game from a menu. (Right now you guys are stuck on ship size and capability after you win a difficulty level. This could fix that. ) For example You could have a maneuver that
a. Allows for an evasive maneuver followed by an immediate attack which causes more damage.
b. Identifies enemy shield frequencies and disables enemy shields temporarily
c. Tractor beams
3. Named crew vs generic crew: “Redshirts” – as a part of your crew generation and customization allow for the purchase of generic crew vs primary crew. Someone on here posted something similar which is allowing your experienced crew or “heroes” to live. The beauty of customizing is that you’re building your own crew, your own cast. So when you add crew members - allow the player to purchase a generic crewman or a named officer who has special abilities. Generic crewman can still generate xp and skills but the senior officers come preloaded with specials. Kinda like Saark
a. Senior staff - Maybe you can use hero dynamic such as that in the original World of Warcraft where your primary crew or “senior staff” are tougher and have the ability to lead groups. You are currently still adding grouping. Make it so your seniors can lead those groups. (note* now you can build more missions around keeping senior staff alive) (Note* this could also help in designing away team missions)
b. Red shirts. When you are low on crew from a big battle you can purchase crewmen in bulk but there skills are low.
4. Better use Senior Crew: “Make it so” – using the aforementioned specific crew feature, advance crew can grant advance abilities to your ship:
a. Engineers - Divert power: Given the level of the engineers on board you can divert power on the ship. A power meter can be awarded when engineer reached preset XP. So you can pull power from the shields and put them into weapons for a death blow; or divert power back to shields to prepare for an attack.
b. Engineers – restore power faster or faster repairs
c. Engineer/tactical officers - Precision targeting: allow for your gunners to target enemy weapons or engines
d. Tactical/security officers – better attack formations and attack power for ship invasions