IMPROVE IT: Ship-to-Ship Battles

Official News and Announcements from the team.
HongTeaPot
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: IMPROVE IT: Ship-to-Ship Battles

Post by HongTeaPot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Hoping you guys can:
1.more weapons and other equipment for the ships
2.finish the crew group function you mentioned in the blog
3. introduced the accuracy concept into the battle; the operators' status will affect the accuracy; and both the AI and players can equip jamming device on their ship to reduce their opponents' aiming.

Don't think you can achieve the following items in a short term plan; but it will be great if you can do it.
4. the ships can move during the battle, which will affect the placement of the equipment. And could introduce more equipment, such as rocket nozzle.
5. players can buy or build new ships with credit (or any other virtue currency, other than tokens); the credits can be earned by contraband tradings.
6. there should be possibility to fall into a random battle, in different planet and in different story lines. The battles besides the story line battles should be random battles following the relationship between the players and the AI factions who own the territory, or a possibility due to your stealth equipment you have on your ship.

I suggest you can reference from Daikoukai Jidai IV of KOEI

ArtifexPrime
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by ArtifexPrime » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:49 pm

I actually really like the minigames, especially the Machine Gun and Laser ones (the Plasma Torpedo is a little awkward)

I actually just wish there was more depth to them - and more variety! I'd love to finish the first part of the minigame, then do another small minigame to aim my shots at specific enemy systems!

The rock-paper-scissors mechanic is in EVERYTHING. I can't THINK of a more worn-out, white-bread, BORING mechanic, especially in RTS combat.

Personally, I think the answer to making combat more entertaining is more customization. Having no option to upgrade to a larger ship is a real disappointment - why the heck are they ALL labeled "Medium" if you never get to fly a "Large"? More than 2 weapon rooms and more than 3 weapons would make your ship feel much more your own, as would more rooms in general.

Boarding would be a big help as well, along with some sort of barracks to house more redshirts.

Honestly, with so little depth and customization, changing the way weapons work would be a complete waste of time. Without vastly more control over my ship, even a super-boring completely unoriginal rock-paper-scissors system is pointless, because there's only two gun slots and switching types later would cripple me offensively - and it still wouldn't make things any more fun.

Once you have larger ships with more weapon slots, then adding a shields/subsystem/invasion-centric weapon might make sense. But right now, the game lacks any of the completeness that would allow greater depth. It still feels like a playable demo, not an actual game. Combat won't be fixed until there's boarding, more ships, and more room options - basically, until the game is actually finished.

Thedevotedgamer
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Thedevotedgamer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:45 am

I think that it would be cool if you could launch fighters to attack the shields and maybe they could find a weak spot and relay it to the ship

covya
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by covya » Thu May 15, 2014 3:37 pm

It may have already been brought up, as I'm new to the forums (but have been playing the game for almost a year) but I definitely feel havingsome weapons do more damage to shields or hull is definitely a step in the right direction, but you could take it further with players choice customisation, such as increasing weapons charge speed and sacrificing fire power/accuracy (which definitely should be introduced.)

the amount which each attribute is affected should depend on the level of the people working in that room, I.E. higher levels mean bigger boosts/lower sacrifices.

another idea which is more general is to add some level of customisation to your crew. for example, when your tactical crew level up, you should be able to choose whether you want them to be more deadly against the enemy crew, or whether they should be more accurate with the weapons, or load them faster! its definitely a large alley to explore, but I imagine it would also take a lot of work to implement - maybe somethingto think about for starcraft 2.0!

something which I'm sure must have been mentioned is larger ships, but with that, we of course need more rooms! given that on a medium ship, I believe you are only missing one weapon and one large room. I feel you need to take rooms to more extremes, for example, you could have training rooms,which have absolutely 0 function in combat, but they can be used to boost the stats of your crew between missions, and on the other side of the scale, you could have rooms that set up traps, which can be used to kill the enemy,giving no stat boosts to your soldiers, but meaning that you can focus more on combat without needing to watch your back. another idea is a research room, again, not offering any direct use in combat, but instead allowing you to research new technologies, perhaps more deadly weapons for your crew, or larger shields!

another feature, which again would be a lot of work to implement, but would definitely add a lot to the game, is more in-depth diplomacy. You should be able to form friendships with certain species, but that should also come at a cost, I.E. another species declaring war on you. as the game is just now, it wouldn't add all that much, but in future versions, which will hopefully have more areas to travel to, and more non-linear aspects after the main campaign, it could add a lot. such as areas of space belonging to certain species, meaning that when you travel to an area controlled by a friendly species, you can trade, get information, and hire new crew, but when you travel to hostile areas, you will be attacked. it also opens up a much larger end game - control of the entire galaxy!

a feature which could be more immediately implemented is more defined species. as it is, each species differs only by the sprite that represents them. I feel like they should also have base stats, that both effects battles against them, and any crew which you hire of that species! I.E. some species should come heavily focused on combat, others on engineering etc...

I feel another aspect which could vastly improve the games replayability would be new types of missions which are entirely optional, but have more random aspects. for example, you could be highered by a species to protect a convoy, and in this mission you could be continually attacked, with only a brief few seconds between battles in which to regather and carryout key repairs. these missions could be made to be very difficult by limitting repair times, but as such would of course come with bigger rewards. you could also be hired to lay siege to another species planet, or to hunt down a space pirate!

as I've been writing this, I've realised a lot of these features would probably be too much for mobile platforms, and would have to be limited to the pc release, which sucks for me because my pc can barely run microsoft word :P I guess I'll just have to wait for the console release that you guys are planning in secret?! :D

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Tue May 20, 2014 9:55 am

These are some great ideas and parts of them are being worked on... And for mobile ;)

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Thedevotedgamer
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Thedevotedgamer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:25 pm

Ithink that the ability to leave the military find your own life in the stars like haul cargo protect merchant ships or maybe get a gigantic space carrier (if you do not know what I mean look up space carrier star citizen). Or like the ability to have just your own fighter only you in control and the ability to have a huge fleet of ships and have fighters to fight battles and have a ship builder thing with loads of parts and ammo for stuff, salvaging,transporting weapons. maybe have a player affected aconomy e.g there's a war between your fleet and an alien army demand for ammo goes up = $$$ for AI who haul missiles, or you attack a food transport and on some planet food demand goes up. Also the ability that you can land on a planet walk around with your crew get jobs and get cargo. I know I am looking perhaps three years into the future for the game anyway I'll continue on with my lecture. So you can be hunted for your cargo, or who you have aboard and then you'll have to fight I AM SORRY MOST OF THESE ARE GAME MECHANICS

Thedevotedgamer
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Thedevotedgamer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:09 pm

I was just starting a new game and I quote ' we have lost contact with one of our mining vessels"' the ability to upgrade your ship with stuff from mining vessels

Thedevotedgamer
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Thedevotedgamer » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:09 pm

HongTeaPot wrote:
> Hoping you guys can:
> 1.more weapons and other equipment for the ships

This is a great idea but in the animation I noticed one of the weapons fires a bit of smoke/steam out into space so maybe you have a piece of equipment that has to be installed before the gun works otherwise the air will be sucked out into space and a

Thedevotedgamer
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Thedevotedgamer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:38 am

About mini games you should have the ability from the bridge to turn on or off mini games also the ability once you warp into the system you don't arrive into the battle you have move about to get into the battle and have huge armada ship battles to control planets. maybe a desperate last chance battle escape manouver where you randomly warp into dead space with a 1 out of 5 chance of hitting something and taking damage and 1 out of 10 chance of crashing into a bokect and wrecking your ship.. Becoming a object in space, no power,no communications,not a lot of air, and a 4 out of 6 chance of being found by a random ship maybe hostile maybe friendely

Thedevotedgamer
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Thedevotedgamer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:14 am

Sorry about weird auto correct on post above you should have the ability when boarding to bring a car or hover tank onto the ship that could clear the corridors of enemies but might destroy its self by breaching the hull this would sort of have to be like a seven token and all power to beam room so sort of like kills your ship but you have a small chance to win also a beam room because I some how doubt that your just walking into the bridge then bam your on the enemy's ship there should be a beam room also a ability to in the corridor have up to six crew rooms just three beds that adds in +5 crew also there should be the ability to hire a hacker to hack enemy ships and close blast doors, a yellow shirt to guide shuttles or other ship if docking in hangar or airlock,a space combat trooper , some one who goes into a ship via airlock and carries heavy weapons, a space engineer who goes to fix hull breaches, a helmsman to pilot your ship, a mechanic to fix shuttles or fighters, a pilot to fly shuttles or fighters,a tech officer who helps you with coordinating big battles and options,a communications expert so you can contact other ships or planets from the other side of the system