IMPROVE IT: Ship-to-Ship Battles

Official News and Announcements from the team.
Lurkily
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Re: IMPROVE IT: Ship-to-Ship Battles

Post by Lurkily » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:07 pm

[quote="DiscoMcDisco]What about forcefields at the ends of corridors? Heavier dependency on the shield room to maintain internal and external shields... would help protect the important supply chains and could have an affect on main shield regen.. ?[/quote]
I missed this the first time, sorry. Not sure about this - if only your hallways are vulnerable . . . and fine for tablets, but the interface for a phone would be more difficult to work out and handle for something so detailed. However, internal shields that automatically segment the ship at full shields would be interesting. That way the enemy would be restricted in their travel until the enemy scored a hit. A good commander could use their shield boost to trap enemies, and dodge drive to keep them there while they eliminated boarders.

Eng.Ofc.Burger
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Eng.Ofc.Burger » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Could you please add a way to board there ships and take over. I think this could be cool maybe for a multiplayer version some day. This could also give you more of a offense feel. Since they can teleport to your ship it would will would only make it far for you too teleport to their ship too. Also please add away to make groups.

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:32 pm

Eng.Ofc.Burger - these have all been addressed in this and other threads.

Z4RQUON
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Z4RQUON » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:59 pm

The skill of your officers, and the upgrades in your various rooms, should have some sort of effect regarding how good a situation you find yourself in when you first enter battle. Presently, there is no being prepared. No matter what I do I always begin a battle with absolutely nothing charged, and the enemy ship always has their teleporter and weapons half-way charged. This guarantees that I am going to get hit at least once, and boarded at least once (because, no matter how good my officers are, and no matter how upgraded my shield generators etc. are) it only ever takes one hit to get my shields down low enough for them to board me.

I realize that, all else remaining the same, making this change would make the game too easy but, perhaps, there would be a clever way to compensate. Perhaps with the "away team" upgrade, if we are going to be seeing the insides of enemy ships, they will now also have to deal with human (or antorian) resources management strategies, and programming the computer to be better at this than the human player could be the source of the challenge, instead of simply having us develop a strategy to deal with difficultly timed events.

dareapa
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by dareapa » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:27 pm

I just want to say the game doesn't need an overhaul just some polish and additions to the system that is already there. A lot of people want more strategy but there are ways of adding more strategy and difficulty without major changes. I'm not gonna reference everyone previously but my ideas are based on the feedback I read in this thread that were great ideas.

1. Invading Parties (IP) and Away Teams (AT) - what I'm about to say will somewhat fall under alien tactics but it's still ship to ship. As IP's are now they are very aimless being more of an annoyance. This can be fixed along with the addition of AT's by giving them a purpose, by that I mean giving both the ability to be assigned a target system (e.g. attack the engine room etc.) and giving them 2 (or more) types. To do this I feel AT's, if they aren't already (I don't know the details of AT's), should be a new choice of system in which you could assign crewmembers (this will help with all the white shirts) but I feel it best to make it function with a spawn system. AT can be a tactics system in which you assign 2 crewmembers to the room, one being Commander the other Lt. Commander (or however it works in the navy) . The spawn system will allow you to pick 1 of two types of teams (or add 2 types of away team systems to build) who's stats and size (starting at maybe 4) can be based on AT room upgrades and assigned crewmember stats.. Some of the ideas below would only

A. One team can be a "Strike Team" that use breach and clear type of style combat (especially if locked doors are implemented) who's primary objective is to attack the crewmembers in a room then hold it out (if they manage to kill all of the enemy aliens in that room). This team can start out with for tac crewmembers and with an upgrade you can get a "brute" member added. This team can excel at breaching doors and overall offensive power.

B. Second type of team can be a "Sabotage Team" who's function is to break into or infiltrate a room to plant a bomb that damages the target system and creates a fire. This team can be made up of 2 tac crews and two engineers or 3 tac crews and 1 engineer. The tac crews provide cover fire while the engineers hack the locked door and plant a bomb. If you do 2 tac crewmembers and two engineers maybe with a room upgrade or just in general one engineer can carry and electric taker type of weapon that can disable temporarily disable an enemy or even temporarily hack a sentry. Because of the engineer with the electric weapon they are effective against sentries.

Whatever you decide the spawn system is clearly already in place and this wouldn't require a complete makeover if you make the AT system function in this form. Of course I imagine the AT system will mean we will be able to see into an enemy ship at some point in which I think the ability to select more than one crewmember at a time would be a great addition. As an option though I feel AT's should function on their own AI, like the aliens ,to keep it simple with the ability to control them not being there or at least optional.

2. Token System - I personally like this system but only as it applies to upgrades, why change a functional reward system? Instead make sentries permanent additions of limited quantity that actually Patrol the ship and when damaged or "disabled" (cant kill a robot) they can be repaired. If disabled too long they decommissioned and disappear(like dead crewmembers) and have to be reproduced with the production function and animation of the current token system. The only change in animation being that they drop to the floor then roll out or go into the ground and pop up from a hatch someone on the ship itself. As for the armory use the same production gauge but in reverse, have it deacrease as grenades are used and slowly recharge as they are reproduced.

3. Bridge Crew and Weapon Systems - I like the mini game system and would like to see it stay it adds to the levity and arcade style of the game. I loved some of the ideas earlier posters had I think they are great just need some tweaking. First I'd like to say a wildcard system would be horrible, it would take away the strategic part of the game and what I'm about to suggest would add to the tactics of game play with it's own penalties without having to change much, only the way we play.
A. I agree the plain wireframe is just generic why not allow us to actually see the enemy ship on the display ,it makes sense or in the least make it animated like the ship hovering up and down as if it is an active display. It would be nice if around the display we see the controls and the crewmembers hands moving the controls on keys or joystick and buttons (arcade style baby) based on the type of weapon system. Add an animation where the hand on the buttons start being mashed because you missed a shot or a fist smashing keys for the other weapon controls.

B. Someone earlier suggested all the weapon targeting game being the same for all games, while I completely disagree there is a great idea here. Keep the weapon display the same for all games (presently) while still making the mini-games vary. Add the circles that are in the Plasma Torpedo game with the addition of medium and small circles. Large circles large rooms, medium mid-sized rooms, a few small circles for hull shots or make it where game changing shots (hull breaches, shield, engine etc) are small targets while other systems are larger.

I. Machinegun the circles light up at random which you must tap to get a hit, the rate increases as your successful while the time they stay lit decreases. Upgrades to the room can affect your success in the game as the system works now and the effectiveness (power) determined by the crews.

II. Plasma Torpedo can stay almost exactly how it is but make it where the lines can be stopped on the target of the players choice. The vertical line determines the circle and the horizontal line makes the target. This will make at least let one of the weapon systems allow the user to control his/her target, the smaller the circle the harder it is to land the shot creating its own penalty if the user attempts to take the risk. Make the lines faster to start and with upgrades allow it to be slowed without making it too easy.

III. Laser Canon can be a more chance based system to add some of the wild card element but keep it user skill based as it is now. make it where three yellow/red circles appear around 3 separate circles at the same time or separately at random and begin to close in, you must tap the target circle as the yellow/red lines match up with the white ones.

This allows the screen to be consistent across all weapon systems but the games vary, make the layout around the display weapon based. there's many ways to increase the difficulty and strategy of the ship to ship battles without having to overhaul for example my own suggestion would be to make the battle real time across the board. Instead of making the game pause when you choose a weapon system as you attack make it continue, this makes it where the current way shields and the doge systems work won't require a mini game for difficulty. The penalty is in the choice of doing one thing over the other, you can continue to attack or back out earlier to doge or recharge the shields. Instead add new animations to the shield boost and doge that makes game more interesting. Like when you doge side thrusters kick in and literally move your ship left or right to doge an attack or over charging shields makes the shield visible glowing or shimmering in a different hue. Make defense systems with weaknesses and strengths for example doge can be ineffective against guided missiles while over charged shields drain faster from Plasma Torpedo.

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:52 am

I like how you guys say the game doesn't need an overhaul then write a 50 page essay on what needs to be added/changed ;). These are some great suggestions guys! Keep them coming.

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

dareapa
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by dareapa » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Lol I know, xD but I meant some of the suggestions wouldn't require major changes where (at least I think) would require you to re-write the whole game.

brickzombie
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by brickzombie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:58 pm

When your guys are on the enemy ship (From boarding) Maybe When you are about to kill an enemy there is a chance you may want to join your team. Just an idea.

Romah
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Romah » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:22 am

Im happy to learn you guys are planning to remove the mini games.. They made battles tedious and killed all the immersion of space combat..
Heres some of my ideas that I feel will expand the game. It might seem excessive, but hey, you are the ones asked of us players for opinion right? And I would not want anything less of a perfect space game anyways! :lol:
How about engineering room is what powers the rest of the ship.. The hallways have power conduits running through floors.. It is the goal of boarding parties to take out the conduits to disable various ship functions.. To spice it up, one of the medical facilities should provide life support.. If it fails, all oxygen breathing crew will begin to lose their health (unless they have space suit equipped) This should make defending hallways a bit more...appealing...
Honestly, I think one of the improvements the game could receive is ability to equip the crew members with gear.. Anything from tools to weapons and armor such as space suits mentioned earlier. I feel that these should have their own random stats akin to diablo or similar games to expand the gameplay. This idea needs some changes ofcourse. Such as and possibly biggest improvement is that the game simply NEEDS is open world adding spirit of exploration and random chance. Away missions that offer chance to receive better gear mentioned above, weapon and facility blueprints. Boarding an enemy ships. Visiting stations and planets. Maybe an ability to eventually construct a space station. It can include shipyard, medical (crew that get critically injured must spend some time here), training and research facilities.
So many possibilities that the game simply does not currently pursue that left me quite disappointed.

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:25 pm

You forgot to ask for a pony too.