IMPROVE IT: Ship-to-Ship Battles

Official News and Announcements from the team.
PegLegHeg
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: IMPROVE IT: Ship-to-Ship Battles

Post by PegLegHeg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Reporting this from another place:

If the ship had a few more tactical options then the Aliens (and the player) could think outside the box more… for example what if you could actually do things from the bridge or engineering… like lock doors, or vent radiation… these would need to be last resort type options, but they could be accomplished pretty easy I think…

Desperate action: Vent radiation from light wave engines into engineering killing everyone there (simple green cloud area effect)

Negative side effect: lose all benefits of engine upgrades for 30 seconds

Desperate action: Open an air lock… sucking things out… and putting out fires…I think that’d work well if fires will be SPREADING with future updates…

Negative Side effect: Weakens hull’s structural integrity leaving several “soft spots” that are only a few points of damage away from breaching… they could vary in size and severity by how long the air lock was open.

Desperate action: detonate a torpedo token… killing all intruders in that area…

Negative Side effect: kills everyone in that area… hull breached…

Desperate action: Overload circuits in a particular room doing severe damage and knocking down any crew working in that room, or any Alien Sapper attempting to interface with that room. (Notice not all the people in this room will be hurt only those “actually working with the circuits”)

Negative Side effect: room is rendered inoperable until repaired…

Desperate action: transporting… I think you should be able to actually transport things… IT should be time consuming and not TOO simple (mini-game; maybe require a token), so that if you are focusing on transporting everyone around your ship, then you aren’t able to be moving tactical officers, making tokens, etc… But it’d be rad to transport a bug into space…

Negative Side effect: time consumption… BUT if you made the process of transporting a mini-game, then if you screw up, its beamed off target… “oops I meant to beam that bug into space Captain… sorry he ended up on the bridge”… or worse yet… “Engineering where is Dr. Smith” “I just beamed him to the bridge as you ordered captain, the transporters show that the transport is complete… isn’t he there?” –concerned looks all around-

These sorts of things would make it feel a little less like a smash em and bash em and more like an outsmart em… maybe there could be “missions” where there isn’t a ship… but there is something on your craft… and you have to take drastic steps to find it and kill it… like a bad case of starship fungus…
Lost in space, and lovin it

produno
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by produno » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Being able to seal off areas enableing you to vent to atmosphere would be cool. Blast doors could be an upgrade path, if you have a spreading fire, you can seal the blast door and vent the area loosing everyone inside and rendering the room/s useless untill repaired. This means you could even seal off areas thats been breached to stop your crew wandering in front of the area of effect and getting sucked into infinity.

clansittingducks
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by clansittingducks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 pm

More options for weapons, multiple decks. Cosmetic designs for ships, or a ship layout construction type setup.
The ability to change the colors of your crew uniforms. More exploration and diplomacy rewards. A scanning room to give you added damages with your weapons or shield penetration.

So far off the top of my head there.

One more idea, some ships have special abilities

Spacecommander
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Spacecommander » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 pm

How about a luck based system were you still make the tokens but there is no mini game but there are % the guns will miss but you can improve the accuracy by upgrading the room

lewis-brooks
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by lewis-brooks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:42 am

Spacecommander wrote:How about a luck based system were you still make the tokens but there is no mini game but there are % the guns will miss but you can improve the accuracy by upgrading the room
Not a bad idea, merge your post with mine about targeting sub systems with a luck based system would be great

ixloc
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by ixloc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 am

I always thought it would be interesting to introduce maneuvers into the game for the ship to ship combat.

This would allow the bridge to staffed and have a use during combat.

Similar to weapons, shields, and dodge Maneuvers would be another action your crew could perform in battle or Before battle.

Let say you come upon an Antorian ship. a behind the scenes dice roll happens to determine who go the drop on who or are both ships on equal footing. The more crew you have in your bridge the better chance you will get your ship in a better firing position.

Let's say you win the dice roll. you are then presented with the option of positioning your ship in one of 3-4 places to allow your weapons to better target certain systems on the enemy ships. ( this would be different for each race and some may not have weakness at all.) Some example maneuvers: Broadside, Ambush, Hit and Run, Full Frontal Attack. These tactics would give a bonus to the attacking ship their weapons the next time they fire. If it's the enemy ship weak spot (if it has one) then you get a double bonus.

Broadside: Your ship goes alongside the enemy ship and the first salvo from your guns impact the enemy ship at close range.

Ambush: Your ship waits for the enemy to pass by then attacks from behind.

Hit and Run: Your ship attacks from either the top or the bottom (players choice)

Full Frontal Attack: Your ship spirals head on at the enemy ship guns blazing. Your ships weapons are instantly ready to fire the first salvo. any hits you make get bonus damage.

Standard attack: If you loose the dice roll the enemy could perform a maneuver on the player or the standard equal footing battle commences.

These maneuvers could also give possible hinderances as well if they fail. A failed broadside would have the enemy behind you for example. I'm still thinking about how to see that happen visually. It could all happen via text or when you zoom out to see both ships you would see their positions on the screen. it would add a little more user involvement to the game during fighting that was not just mini game/repel boarders.

Thoughts?

jordyadan
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by jordyadan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:03 am

I think the main problem is the battle is too slow-paced, reduce the weapons recharge time a little bit.

mfreema5
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by mfreema5 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 am

What about coordinating joint attacks against multiple ships/fleets or even armadas! The game could allow fleets to engage and take down specific systems on ships. Why not allow piracy to occur in space when you board an enemy ship you could take it and sell it, or keep it for yourself. What about as a last resort, allow the player to ram an enemy ship and transfer crew to an ally ship or another ship/planet nearby. This could a one-time occurrence and not something featured in common ship combat.

glucero0
Ensign
Ensign

Post by glucero0 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:34 am

jpcoombs wrote:Hey Star Commanders!

Ship-To-Ship Battles
As we move into PC development we want to really refine our ship-to-ship combat. Right now it is focused on a mini-game system. We like the system but we really want to introduce more strategy and depth to the game. So how would you do it?

We want to remove some of the mini-game elements. Our focus is now on weapons being more of a paper-rock-scissors system with bonuses and penalties. For instance, weapons might do well at draining shields but not do damage to the hull. Or they may be great at stopping invaders. We have also discussed system targeting - taking down enemy shields, bridge operations etc. We want to also incorporate engineering more - what does engineering output do for your "mobility".

This is definitely our most abstract subject yet - so we are looking forward to the discussion!
I personally don't mind the mini-games, but I also don't think they're necessary. I think if you replaced them with a better animated combat experience, maybe one that is a bit quicker in pace, people would be happy. I realize there's a fine line in how fast the pace should be because of factors like upgrades and their effect as well as how difficult/fun it might be to have a crazy fast tapfest. Nobody wants this to be Cooking Momma. As far as animation goes, I would like to see the crew interact more with the ship and for exploding ships to look cooler. The current way it all works and looks is great but I would personally have more fun looking at the screen and playing the game if things were a little more animated.

trekster
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by trekster » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I think the mini games are a core mechanic for the game for tablets and phones and I think if you start replacing or substituting the mini game, you will disrupt the flow of the game negatively. You may want to increase the tempo, but to what end. However, I don’t think the mini game will translate well to PC version. I look forward to finding out how you implemented in the PC version.
Form a tablet user perspective, I like the mini games, but I don’t find them very dynamic; visually they are very bland and does not compliment the pixel art of the game. Also, which I think is lost in the mini game, is the art and detail of the enemy ships. So much of my focus as a player is on the boarding parties and damage and fire control, I don’t have a reason to pan out; to view the other ship.
Suggestion: replace the dark green schematic of the enemy vessel in the mini game with the more detailed visual of the ship.
Specific suggestion: remove the token generation of the plasma torpedo and keep only the mini game.