DRM-Free Distribution for the PC/Mac version

General discussion for all SC Mobile.
User avatar
justincoombs21
Developer
Developer
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: DRM-Free Distribution for the PC/Mac version

Post by justincoombs21 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 am

I just don't understand what the angry backers think we are doing - we are working on the game. It's like constantly opening the door on a cake that is baking - just chill and relax and it will be done and taste delicious. Patience, patience, patience. This is our first game- call us stupid, call us non cummunicative - but simply understand WE ARE MAKING THIS GAME FOR YOU!

User avatar
roguetrooper2
Squaddie
Squaddie
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 am

Re: DRM-Free Distribution for the PC/Mac version

Post by roguetrooper2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:08 am

For a small, 1st-time team you guys are doing exception - and learning all the time, no doubt. I think the ks option will feel a bit more bumpy on the road than the traditional publisher channels, but at least it will be more scenic! :)

Stoic's Banner Saga released an early multi-player on steam just now which aggro'd some backers who only want the single-player campaign which is delayed, but that option to do, is such a ***** good move by them, looking at the big picture (testing the combat module, earning a little extra, setting up a playerbase, getting something released out the door and all while the heavy-assets of the single-player game are being worked on by that small team 5?)

Really looking forward to this game but atst, I can wait for it to release when the all-round quality is high enough.

User avatar
simbalion
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Re: DRM-Free Distribution for the PC/Mac version

Post by simbalion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 pm

justincoombs21 wrote:I just don't understand what the angry backers think we are doing
They think you're selling t-shirts.


People will be less angry when the game is released.

User avatar
Evanescence
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:09 am

Re: DRM-Free Distribution for the PC/Mac version

Post by Evanescence » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:31 am

I would prefer to see it on Steam first.

I think it's a bit too early to talk about the distribution method first.

User avatar
neronix17
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Contact:

Re: DRM-Free Distribution for the PC/Mac version

Post by neronix17 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 am

Whats this about TF2 style Steam Workshop being built into it? If paid mods are the way you are going I'll have to re-think on whether or not I will be buying this game...

User avatar
Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member
Posts: 1108
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: DRM-Free Distribution for the PC/Mac version

Post by Zavier » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 am

neronix17 wrote:Whats this about TF2 style Steam Workshop being built into it? If paid mods are the way you are going I'll have to re-think on whether or not I will be buying this game...
I think they mean that all content is free, including expansions. They will add extra cosmetic items that are not required to play.

A good example would be a cool ship skin that takes the small ship and turns it into a cool shiny neon green machine of death. It doesn't change the core mechanics of the game or provide you a real benefit (maybe a minor one at best, +1 HP to all crew!). Its not required to play nor does it take away from another users game to not have it.

Idk about these paid mods? I think the steam workshop allows users to create content and sell it themselves. TF2/war balloon would not be a part of this or selling it themselves. Its unofficial content like me spending hours skinning the game to look like star trek but wanting to be reimbursed for my time. I say its worth $1 and you can buy it or not.

Hope that makes sense.

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

User avatar
neronix17
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Contact:

Re: DRM-Free Distribution for the PC/Mac version

Post by neronix17 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Zavier wrote:
neronix17 wrote:Whats this about TF2 style Steam Workshop being built into it? If paid mods are the way you are going I'll have to re-think on whether or not I will be buying this game...
I think they mean that all content is free, including expansions. They will add extra cosmetic items that are not required to play.

A good example would be a cool ship skin that takes the small ship and turns it into a cool shiny neon green machine of death. It doesn't change the core mechanics of the game or provide you a real benefit (maybe a minor one at best, +1 HP to all crew!). Its not required to play nor does it take away from another users game to not have it.

Idk about these paid mods? I think the steam workshop allows users to create content and sell it themselves. TF2/war balloon would not be a part of this or selling it themselves. Its unofficial content like me spending hours skinning the game to look like star trek but wanting to be reimbursed for my time. I say its worth $1 and you can buy it or not.

Hope that makes sense.

-Zavier
I wrote up a huge response but thought it sounded a little bit more of a rant than anything, so instead I'll just sum it up. I know how the system works, I've used it, it's horrible, and I'll stick with modding in the form I've worked with for 9 years: as a community of people sharing their ideas, not as a store where people can make a quick bit of cash. If the 'modding support' only extends as far as re-textures I think I'll just avoid it.

Post Reply