FAQ - SC Mobile *Update 11/05/14*

General discussion for all SC Mobile.
Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

FAQ - SC Mobile *Update 11/05/14*

Post by Zavier » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:53 am

Frequently Asked Questions

***This FAQ contains both Official and Unofficial answers to then most frequent questions asked. I get the information from Facebook, Twitter, and Kickstarter If you have other questions, feel free to ask here and I will try to find an answer.***

Table of Contents

MobileGameplay PCOther SystemsGeneral Mobile

Q: When is Star Command launching?
A: Star Command launched May 2nd, 2013 for iOS and October 16, 2013 for Android

Q: Will there be a Windows Version?
A: A Windows Mobile version was announced during a twitch stream in September 2014. The current date is unknown but they are working on a large upgrade for iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile.

Q: How much will Star Command cost?
A: $2.99 USD

Q: How much space do I need for Star Command
A: The current files are about 315mb to install, 125mb after install.

Q: I missed the Kickstarters, can I still support Star Command?
A: Yes! The game is currently out on iOS and Android

Q: How can I get in the beta test?
A: There are currently no beta tests on going. For any future beta tests, active community members in good standing will be optimal test subjects.

Q: What devices will support the mobile version of Star Command?
A: iOS -
  • iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5
  • iPad1/2/3/4
  • iPad mini
  • iTouch4/5
  • iPhone/iTouch 6/6Plus
Android-
All the latest devices (phones/tablets) should be supported. Devices from 2012 and older may not be able to play Star Command or devices with minimal specs.

Q: Is there a pause button like in other space management games?
A: Yes and no. The game pauses when the player is in a menu or selecting a crew member. This was added in a later patch and the original version did not have this feature.

Q: How does Star Command Mobile play? Is it open ended or story based?
A: Star Command is a story driven (campaign) game based on missions. Your crew will be given both story and random missions to complete as you solve the mysteries of the universe and beyond. There is a planned open universe mode added in a future expansion (mobile) and most likely included in PC.

Gameplay

Q: What are tokens?
A: Tokens are the currency on your ship. You earn them from winning battles. You use tokens to hire crew, build new rooms, or buy upgrades for rooms.

Q: Can I buy tokens with real money?
A: Tokens will in no way lead to micro transactions. Not part of our business model at the moment. We hate them as much as the rest of the community.

Q: Will Star Command have different difficulty modes?
A: There are currently 3 difficulty modes including Beginner, Normal, Heavy and Black Hole; a mode few will beat.

Q: How long is Star Command?
A: For mobile versions: The main story is 3-4 hours long if you only complete the main missions. There are random missions through out the game and additional dlc with more missions/content is coming.

Q: How does the crew system work?
A: The crew are used for fighting aliens, healing each other, and repairing the ship. Each crew member has a colored shirt signifying their role.

Red shirts are the fighting crew and run the main guns. Blue shirts are the healing crew and maintain shield platforms. Yellow shirts repair and maintain the ship.

As a crew member gains more experience in their field, they unlock various special skills. Skills can be used to increase speed, range, or even increase their power.

Q: How do you select and use a crew member's skill?
A: To select a skill, select the crew member and press "Details." Under the skill tab you have the option to assign a specific skill the crew member already knows.

Skills can be use by selecting a crew member and pressing the skill icon. The skill will recharge after a period of time. Some skills require special tokens to be used.

PC

Q: When will the PC version launch?
A: PC will have a multi part lauch. See the SC:Galaxies FAQ for more information.

Q: What are the minimum system specs for PC?
A: This is currently unknown. I(Zavier, not the developers) would assume around the same as FTL if not a slightly better processor.

Other Systems

Q: Will there be a Windows Phone 8 and Linux version?
A: A Windows Mobile version is in the works currently and slated for late 2014/early 2015.

General

Q: Do we have to buy the game multiple times if we want to run on multiple platforms?
A: You need to purchase Star Command for each system (iOS/Android/PC) in order to play. iOS/Android are universal versions so both the phone and table versions are included as one. You do not need to buy different versions for this.

Q: Does Star Command have in-app purchases?
A: Star Command will be a one time purchase with no micro transactions or other methods of slowing game play. Expansions are also slated to be free and/or paid.

Q: How will the developers fund future expansions?
A: NOTHING DEFINITIVE - Warballoon really enjoys the Team Fortress 2 method of monetization. This will be updated when a solid method for funding future content is chosen.

Q: Will I be able to play the same save game across platforms?
A: That is the goal. There are some potential problems, but the ultimate goal is that you can play on the bus, sit at work and waste valuable corporate time, pull that iPad out and pretend to be taking notes, then hop back on your iPhone all while playing the same game.

Q: Who is Warballoon?
A: Warballoon consists of four members: Jordan Coombs, Designer and Art Director; Justin Coombs, Designer and Art Director; Steve Tranby, Developer Guru and Parker Coombs, Assistant Designer.

*Last updated 11/05/2014*

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

Michael
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Re: FAQ - A work in progress

Post by Michael » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:11 pm

What are the required safety precautions i should take when playing StarCommand?

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Michael wrote:What are the required safety precautions i should take when playing StarCommand?
A spare set of underwear... We all know what's going to happen when you first play it ;)

-Zavier

Michael
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by Michael » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:09 pm

:geek:

No. 6
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by No. 6 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:48 am

When you talk about sharing saves across platforms, is the intent to allow players to share a save between PC and iOS/Android versions?

Reaver00
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Reaver00 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:09 am

What does a "soft release" mean? Is that like a disappointing massage parlor happy ending? :lol:

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:27 am

No. 6 wrote:When you talk about sharing saves across platforms, is the intent to allow players to share a save between PC and iOS/Android versions?
Correct but not on release =\ I know another game tried this (well kinda, cross play multiplayer) and it was very hard to do and never fully implemented. Cross platform saves shouldn't be as hard I hope!
Reaver00 wrote:What does a "soft release" mean? Is that like a disappointing massage parlor happy ending? :lol:
They said the game would be released in a few small English speaking countries to finish testing any bugs and then a release later to US and EU. Hopefully it goes by fast!

-Zavier

Xahni13
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Post by Xahni13 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 am

Would they be open for community translations?

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Xahni13 wrote:Would they be open for community translations?
Yes but not right now. This would be a post release thing the devs would like to do

-Zavier

Eddy120876
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eddy120876 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 pm

oh and hey guys just came to say love the background of the forum
[b]GIVE ME LIBERTY....OR AN IPAD OK :D[/b]