Bugs and Crashes, Build 12042

General discussion for all SC Mobile.
stevetranby
Developer
Developer

Re: Bugs and Crashes, Build 12042

Post by stevetranby » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:12 pm

The FoW slow-down is related to how I'm handling "light" in the tile map, while not trying the engine updates too many quads when changing properties, gonna switch it over to a shader system and see if that helps. If that doesn't work may chunk the map into quadrants. Will be a fun exercise in profiling/optimization :D

Can you tell if the Door sounds occur when the crew is right next to the door? It does open (and sound) if they move toward the door in a straight line and land on the tile just before the door, but not going through. Something I should fix, but will require additional destination check, low priority ...

I plan to test on more android devices this weekend.

Edit: door sounds may be the dog? did I mention that already? with dog enabled I heard door sounds a lot, maybe I'll turn off door sounds from pets ...

----

Cocos2d-x is a great engine for what it's meant for: simple- to medium-core games. It's moved from an Objective-C port to mostly c++11 (except memory management is retain/release) with an eye toward the future (c++14/17, and entity component system). It has Javascript & Lua bindings so you can write all or most of your game in either of those as well and effectively get native performance. Documentation can be lacking, but it's improving. It's code-focused, but they are working to bring CocoStudio to become more capable as editor, and third-party support is decent.

Unity is a great cookie-cutter engine, if you stay in it's boundaries it's pretty awesome for getting things done, but once you veer outside (which Galaxies has done) it can be very annoying. The editor is great as is the Asset Store, and you can do visual effects more easily all inside the single editor (cocos2d-x requires external tools).

I've only really used a few others, so there are plenty of interesting options out there besides cocos2d-x, I just happened to get involved and enjoy the community over there. Point is you may find Unreal, HaxeFixel, LibGDX, Godot, GameMaker, or another engine to be better. Cocos2d-x isn't necessarily great; Engine choice is alway a "depends" issue and often personal preference.

Edit: In fact there's a some interesting discussions as of late. Most people at least are fine using c++, but many are curious if the engine could improve toward prototyping and failing quickly and adding ECS, in case anyone's interested.
http://discuss.cocos2d-x.org/t/cocos2d- ... ion/21547/
http://discuss.cocos2d-x.org/t/add-enti ... d-x/21809/
"I see dead codes, and create instances of Deja-vu in the galaxy."
Development (Mobile Team) • Game Design • Business • Warballoon Co-founder

Tacitus
Junior Ensign
Junior Ensign

Re: Bugs and Crashes, Build 12042

Post by Tacitus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks for the info! Looking into some of that now.

Yeah, Unity has been pretty fun to play with but I can see how Galaxies can mess with it. As long as we're talking about the away maps chopping up some of the larger ones probably wouldn't be a terrible idea.

The door sounds seems pretty random. I watch my crew closely (I'm a huge fan of watching the animated displays when they interact with them) and I generally don't have them leave their posts. It only seems to happen when I'm not in combat...I looked for the door opening and it doesn't. It's occurred when they are near the doors and when they are not. Looking forward to the next build!
All I know is this Lo-Pan character comes out of nowhere...while his buddies are flying around on wires cuttin' everybody to shreds and he just stands there, waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him with light coming out of his mouth?