I wanted this game to be good.

General discussion for all SC Mobile.
Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Re: I wanted this game to be good.

Post by Zavier » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:40 pm

For paragraph 2, this will be the PC version with a lot coming to mobile. Away missions are planned and non-linear/open world are planned future expansions.

I think like the OP you'd like the PC version best

-Zavier
I am a volunteer player and do not work for War Balloon

warkmilk
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by warkmilk » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Zavier wrote:For paragraph 2, this will be the PC version with a lot coming to mobile. Away missions are planned and non-linear/open world are planned future expansions.

-Zavier
I bought the game for the platform, I didn't buy the game regardless of the platform. Meaning while I'm sure I would enjoy the features included in the PC version of this game, I don't want that version, I want the mobile version to have the PC version's features. What I would prefer is to not have to use my laptop or desktop to play this game.

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:45 pm

(I'm not WB but…) I think there's new content along with away missions coming in future mobile updates. The 1.1 update itself deviates from the original purely linear ship battle format a bit and further ones may do the same. A complete sandbox style experience with mods, etc won't be coming to mobile.
the only person I represent is Glacian
- cold hearted bastard… in space -

Apathy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Apathy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Zavier wrote:All good and valid points... I think you will be more excited about the PC version (and possible mobile update) that will alleviate a lot of these problems. Mobile will be updated also but they feel like different games...

-Zavier
That sounds interesting, I'd like to see what changes and additions they're making.

As previously mentioned by other posters, I don't want the game to fully automate actions for me. I get there is a fine line between the crew playing the game for you, and being half-wits who have a death wish. There is no reason why when an engineer is putting out a fire, let's say in the same room, they would ignore the rest of the room burning. That's micromanagement to the extreme, I'm a captain who is giving orders, I'd expect some level of competency.

Imagine how much harder Captain Kirks job would have been...

"Scotty, put that fire out. Take two steps forward. Okay, now-- Spock! Stop standing in the fire, you're burning alive!
Scotty, what are you doing? Take another three steps forward and put the rest of the fire out."

"Captain!"

"What Sulu?"

"We've lost track of the invaders, they've walked around the corner."

"What? Just follow them, go take ten steps over that wa-- God ***** it Spock, get out of the fire already!"

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:07 pm

warkmilk wrote:
Zavier wrote:For paragraph 2, this will be the PC version with a lot coming to mobile. Away missions are planned and non-linear/open world are planned future expansions.

-Zavier
I bought the game for the platform, I didn't buy the game regardless of the platform. Meaning while I'm sure I would enjoy the features included in the PC version of this game, I don't want that version, I want the mobile version to have the PC version's features. What I would prefer is to not have to use my laptop or desktop to play this game.
I want to play Diablo 3 on my mobile so I don't have to lug my PC around...

But were not up to that point yet. Mobile devices are getting more powerful but we can't expect to have a 1:1 PC quality, content, experience in mobile games. We can get close but there will always be exceptions to what mobile hardware can do.

There is a lot of cool content coming to mobile Star Command but we should never expect it be the same as a PC game...
Apathy wrote:
Zavier wrote: Imagine how much harder Captain Kirks job would have been...

"Scotty, put that fire out. Take two steps forward. Okay, now-- Spock! Stop standing in the fire, you're burning alive!
Scotty, what are you doing? Take another three steps forward and put the rest of the fire out."

"Captain!"

"What Sulu?"

"We've lost track of the invaders, they've walked around the corner."

"What? Just follow them, go take ten steps over that wa-- God ***** it Spock, get out of the fire already!"
Would have made the show funnier tho =p

Check out developer stevestransby's posts. He talks about a red/green/yellow button feature to do some automation like yellow button after battle sends engineers to put out fires.

-Zavier

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:32 pm

It's easy to write the sentence "just make them avoid the fire areas and enemies" along with "don't shoot at walls" or whatever else is the visual observation of "dumb AI". It's not so easy to translate that into an abstract programming language for a 3D world with a 2 1/2 D visual style.

Put another way: Sulu, Spock, and Scotty are largely autonomous because they are complex pieces of wetware honed by thousands of generations before them… SC crew members are more in the first dozens of generations and it takes a lot of time and effort to teach them ;)

warkmilk
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by warkmilk » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Zavier wrote: I want to play Diablo 3 on my mobile so I don't have to lug my PC around...

But were not up to that point yet. Mobile devices are getting more powerful but we can't expect to have a 1:1 PC quality, content, experience in mobile games. We can get close but there will always be exceptions to what mobile hardware can do.

There is a lot of cool content coming to mobile Star Command but we should never expect it be the same as a PC game...

-Zavier
This is a cop-out excuse. I'm not asking for D3 or any AAA title (even though I have Bard's Tale and GTA III on my phone). Gameloft and to a lesser extent, Rockstar can put out non-linear mobile games with graphics that can make my phone chug at times. My guess it its more about needing programming talent and money to hire such talent than technical limitations.

Edited to add: Their overambitious goals and underwhelming delivery even after two Kickstarters is proof of that last point

Zavier
Non-Dev Member
Non-Dev Member

Post by Zavier » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:14 pm

warkmilk wrote:
Zavier wrote: I want to play Diablo 3 on my mobile so I don't have to lug my PC around...

-Zavier
This is a cop-out excuse. I'm not asking for D3 or any AAA title (even though I have Bard's Tale and GTA III on my phone). Gameloft and to a lesser extent, Rockstar can put out non-linear mobile games with graphics that can make my phone chug at times. My guess it its more about needing programming talent and money to hire such talent than technical limitations.

Edited to add: Their overambitious goals and underwhelming delivery even after two Kickstarters is proof of that last point
Cop-out but you use AAA game examples (gta3) and a mobile AAA level company (Gameloft) and Rock star, another big company... All compared to an indi's first title...

-Zavier

Ashezz
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Post by Ashezz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:48 am

Created this account to reply here.

I got the game for android from the humble bundle without knowing anything about it but thought i'd try it after enjoying FTL. I just completed it on blackhole in an armstrong so really came here to see if there is some more content or a way to explore the planets on the maps that aren't available during the campaigns (i.e. I think I have completed everything I can in the game as it stands so far).

As far as I have read, there isn't anything else yet which is a shame but it appears to be a newish game that will grow in time so my fingers crossed.

Then I stumbed upon this thread. All I can say is what a load of whining. How can someone complain about too much micro-managing in a game which is more or less solely about micro-managing? I have completed this game on the hardest difficulty in the weakest ship without grinding/exploiting to level my crew up (I started on normal, completed and carried on with same crew - I think 3 of the tac officers inc my captain got to 30 so could use the rapid fire ability - no one else really got that high). It was hard, and I had to retry the final boss about 3 times before I got him (more thanks to one of the enemy teleporting groups getting sucked out into space after they blew a hole in the same place as they ported them in which gave me a breather) by using some basic strategy tactics (waiting until front line of tac officers get low then move them to the back so none die). If this game did not have as much micro-managing as it does now it would be far too easy and would have left me thoroughly disappointed.

So if a dev reads this post what I would ask would be to please prioritise making more content (weapon rooms, ships, missions etc) rather than wasting time trying to cater for people who will never be satisfied and who would happily have the game play itself for them rather than press some buttons themselves. Maybe in the distant future some automation could be put in when there are more other things for the player to do but at the moment the balance is just right in my opinion.

All I can say to these kind of people is if you want to watch sci-fi instead of play it go watch star trek or one of the other countless sci-fi programs. Immersion is one thing but having a solid, challenging game is better.

I'll finish with this: I am really happy to see more sci-fi games like this being released and I have really enjoyed FTL and this one so please keep up the good work and thanks again. I will be keeping an eye out for more content/replayability and check out the pc version!

Glacian
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Glacian » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:10 pm

warkmilk wrote:Edited to add: Their overambitious goals and underwhelming delivery even after two Kickstarters is proof of that last point
Please provide references for your expertise in business management, project management, and game development.